Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Reviews for Hyatt House & Place at Tempe / Phoenix / University ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reviews for Hyatt House & Place at Tempe / Phoenix / University ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hyatt Place

Stay Report - 11/11 to 11/12

Location: The hotel is located on the corner of 6th and Veteran's on Arizona State's Tempe Campus. It's also a block from the Valley Metro Light Rail which you can take to PHX or Downtown Phoenix. You can walk to 9th Street, ASU's campus and a bunch of other nearby restaurants. It's also very close to the AZ-202 Loop so getting around the area is a cinch.

Hotel: The hotel is a new high rise that houses both a Hyatt Place and a Hyatt House. It's next to a parking garage and parking can be coordinated via the front desk which charges $15 a day. There's a large lobby which does feature a bar with beer on tap as well as a lot of seating and an outdoor heated pool. As the hotel is new all the common areas and lobby are really pleasant to be in. There were also no waits for elevators.

Check In: I was with two guests and when we checked in we were told they were going to give us two rooms instead of putting the three of us in one. This will likely be my upgrade of the year. All staff were friendly and helpful.

Room: Very nice. High ceilings, non carpeted floor, power near the beds, large TV, kitchen area and a big enough bathroom with a good shower. There was also a welcome bag with waters and a nice handwritten note for me. The only negative is the soundproofing is not great. Despite being on the 7th floor I could hear every train that went by outside.

Breakfast: Good spread with bacon, scrambled eggs, potatoes and pastries, fruit, yogurt and coffee.

Overall a great option if you're going to be in Tempe.
bbbb, 24.05.2004, dpb132 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Originally Posted by CMK10
Stay Report - 11/11 to 11/12

This will likely be my upgrade of the year.
Did you play the "I'm a Sun Devil" card? 😉
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Checked in a few hours ago. Underwhelmed... rooms are small for HH 1br suite. Unsure how they're segregating HP rooms from HH rooms. $15 for parking.

For a long-term stay place, there's no outdoor grill, and no rooms with a full kitchen (meaning no oven, just a microwave, ugh). Pretty disappointed as I'm working a weird shift here 1700-0300 and I'd like to cook something besides a frozen thing. Yeah so what if I'm grilling a steak at 0500? Oh wait I can't. Shoulda called before booking. But it's going to be sunny and warm tomorrow so I'm gonna chill by the pool and get some sun before my shift starts.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Checked in a few hours ago. Underwhelmed... rooms are small for HH 1br suite. Unsure how they're segregating HP rooms from HH rooms. $15 for parking.

For a long-term stay place, there's no outdoor grill, and no rooms with a full kitchen (meaning no oven, just a microwave, ugh). Pretty disappointed as I'm working a weird shift here 1700-0300 and I'd like to cook something besides a frozen thing. Yeah so what if I'm grilling a steak at 0500? Oh wait I can't. Shoulda called before booking. But it's going to be sunny and warm tomorrow so I'm gonna chill by the pool and get some sun before my shift starts.
You might ask for another room that meets your needs better in the morning.

David
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by DELee
You might ask for another room that meets your needs better in the morning.
Asked at check-in for a full kitchen. None in this hotel, not just "not available". Other HHs have had full kitchens (and outdoor grills) but it's very inconsistent.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:50 am

Asked at check-in for a full kitchen. None in this hotel, not just "not available". Other HHs have had full kitchens (and outdoor grills) but it's very inconsistent.
The microwave is also a convection oven. That’s why they have that weird (removable) round thing inside. It’s for frozen pizza (or at least that’s what i used it for…).

I cooked my share of frozen pizzas in one of those on the 4th floor ;-)

I think I googled the instruction manual pdf for the model and then it was pretty easy to figure out the extras once I had the basics of oven vs microwave.
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Boston Elite 's feedback notwithstanding, any other options to switch hotels?

David
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Boston Elite 's feedback notwithstanding, any other options to switch hotels?

David
I could but I'm already settled in.

Good to know about that weirdness in the microwave! I had no idea what that was for when I nuked a burrito earlier.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:21 pm

As someone who also lives out of Hyatt Houses, the GE Profile series of appliances is pretty good in the newer builds and the properties that put in the effort to refurbish. The microwave/convection ovens, in particular, will not perfectly emulate, for instance, oven-finishing a steak, but I have gotten them to perform admirably for that purpose, getting a flaky crust on a chicken pot pie, producing baked goods, toast, and yes, pizza. Do a bit of culinary experimentation, you might be surprised!
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Is the breakfast location same for both HH and HP guests? This would be a first for me.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hyatt House

Stay Report - 7/1 to 7/2

I had stayed at the Hyatt Place side last November and had a great stay. I was unfortunately a little disappointed this time.

Check In: After waiting on someone who got into an argument with the front desk staff because she was trying to use a tap and pay app to pay, I got to the front desk. The agent working was really unfriendly and unhelpful and while he claimed to be the manager to the woman in front of me he seemed confused by basic aspects of hotels. I got no Globalist recognition and when I asked for an amenity bag (they were lined up behind him) he said those were for "honored guests" and he refused me bottles of water. He also asked if I had a "physical debit or credit card". It was really weird.

Room: A nice size and perfect for my daughter and I. Two large comfortable beds, working Wifi, decent sized bathroom with a shower that got hot and no issues with soundproofing. I definitely preferred the HH side to the HP side.

Breakfast: Still a highlight of this hotel. Scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, French Toast sticks and really good breakfast potatoes. Plus the usual cold spread with cereal, yogurt, fruit, pastries etc.

Do note the hotel is skimping on housekeeping. I still love the location but I hope the next staff member I meet is better trained.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I wonder how you can become an honored guest. Plus, with all his concerns on payment methods, perhaps you should have offered to pay in money orders or spare change.

How bizarre...
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I wonder how you can become an honored guest. Plus, with all his concerns on payment methods, perhaps you should have offered to pay in money orders or spare change.

How bizarre...
I don't use virtual wallets that often. Can they be used for holds, the same way a physical CC can be?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't use virtual wallets that often. Can they be used for holds, the same way a physical CC can be?
I believe that the issue can sometimes be a CC-level restriction on the amount that can be charged using the contactless method. I have had several Hyatt associates at various properties take my card and use tap-to-pay as they have the machine behind the desk. Many don't even try and default to using the chip.

My assumption is that the issue mentioned above is that the person in front of CMK was trying to use an actual phone, and the associate seemed like they had a bad attitude. I would never bet that a hotel would be able to take Apple Pay, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.