Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Possible relaxed requirements for those who wanna level up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible relaxed requirements for those who wanna level up?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mileageking
Can't look at it that way as they extended for all even those without stays / spent dollars.

I spent nights and dollars and will continue to do so up-to potentially achieving Ambassador status qualification in 2020 again. If I qualify then I should expect Marriott to value this achievement regardless of the free one year extension they offered all members. It's that simple and shouldn't be difficult to follow.

First I did not say "for everyone" so let's avoid quoting something that wasn't stated. I haven't suggested rollovers in the past ever, however this is one year they should consider including (but not limited to) all other options I suggested. There are several others that have the same perspective. You have a perspective, unfortunately we don't see the same and we can leave it at that.
So you want "me" inequitable special treatment. I understand! Why rollover nights & spend for Ambassador Elites only? Why stop at your suggestions? Perhaps a Lifetime Ambassador Elite Title would suffice and then you can waste all your stays and spend forever after. If you indeed requalify in 2020 organically, petition Marriott for a 2022 extension next year when it will be better known if travel without a vaccine is plausible. We definitely do have a different perspective and yes, I will leave it at that.

James
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Not the same. COVID-19 impacted this year, MAR extended status this year for next, reduced travel with country entry restrictions are happening this year, I for one already stayed 40% of night requirement and spent close to half the required dollars towards Ambassador prior to shutdowns and will continue staying once things get back to normal (even semi-normal) this year. If MAR did something for their most loyal customers, members would feel even more motivated to stay and not switch to others.
How many people who achieved Ambassador status, then had it extended, are going to leave Marriott due to lack of recognition, and move to a competitor where they have a lesser status? I understand your point that, for this one year, Marriott is not differentiating much between those who rack up the stays and those who don't (although there are still some differences, such as I probably won't make 50 nights and get the SNA's this year). But ultimately, most people see a reward as a reward, not a zero sum game with other program members. Personally, I don't see a lot of people running to Hilton or Hyatt simply because they don't feel special enough in comparison to other customers. Time will tell.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Delta does rollovers

No other of the major air/hotel programs AFAIK do rollovers
Before the Starriott merger, Marriott did limited rollover of nights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by resolute
So I am still confused about the extension and related details.. Will I get to roll over any of the nights (know Marriott does not usually do rollovers) into 2021, or do we all start with zero nights and spend as of 1/1/2021? If we start with nothing in 2021, I might as well just take the whole year off from travel. Or would I have any incentive anyone sees (already LT Titanium so don't think there is anything else that would matter for LT) I know Delta you are rolling over some stuff, but here I don't think there is anything... Am I missing something... This is what I got as of now..

Marriott extended your current Ambassador status through Feb 2022, however your nights (looks like 65 this year) and spend $ will not be rolled over to 2021 to benefit status through Feb 2023. So yes you'll start with 0 nights and dollars on 1/1/2021.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
How many people who achieved Ambassador status, then had it extended, are going to leave Marriott due to lack of recognition, and move to a competitor where they have a lesser status? I understand your point that, for this one year, Marriott is not differentiating much between those who rack up the stays and those who don't (although there are still some differences, such as I probably won't make 50 nights and get the SNA's this year). But ultimately, most people see a reward as a reward, not a zero sum game with other program members. Personally, I don't see a lot of people running to Hilton or Hyatt simply because they don't feel special enough in comparison to other customers. Time will tell.
It's a fair point, however let's say I was going to stay another 60 to 100 nights this year and spend $12k to 20k+, I could get top tier status at another chain through maybe status match / accelerator. Many may still continue to stay, however some high spenders at Marriott may move.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Before the Starriott merger, Marriott did limited rollover of nights.
Agree Marriott has offered rollover nights previously.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
So you want "me" inequitable special treatment. I understand! Why rollover nights & spend for Ambassador Elites only? Why stop at your suggestions? Perhaps a Lifetime Ambassador Elite Title would suffice and then you can waste all your stays and spend forever after. If you indeed requalify in 2020 organically, petition Marriott for a 2022 extension next year when it will be better known if travel without a vaccine is plausible. We definitely do have a different perspective and yes, I will leave it at that.

James
Thanks James. Not looking to go back & forth however want to clarify one of the points in our exchange. When you mentioned "for everyone" in your post, I responded saying I didn't say that specifically and that I trying to refer to "my own situation" on nights and dollars "I" had already spent this year so far and if I continued to stay at Marriott for remainder of this year. It appears you took my comment as I was suggesting only for Ambassadors and not looking at other status which is not the case. Just want to clarify that piece. Maybe when things get back to norm and if your schedule allows, we can grab a couple beers next time I'm in YVR
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It's a fair point, however let's say I was going to stay another 60 to 100 nights this year and spend $12k to 20k+, I could get top tier status at another chain through maybe status match / accelerator. Many may still continue to stay, however some high spenders at Marriott may move.
Sure, I get that. But the grass isn't always greener. And those types of deals are always available for "whales". So it's one thing to say you'd like more recognition, but it's another to say you might move your business to another company that offers basically the same benefits you'd get at Marriott, just because you didn't get as much as someone else. If, for example, Hilton was going to offer you something Marriott wouldn't, than you should consider moving...and that's regardless of what happens during this unique time. While I'm sure Marriott wants the business of all their Ambassador level customers, I also think they expect that a certain % of people will switch loyalty or see their business otherwise drop off, this year or any year. If they were afraid that % is going to go way up, they'll likely take action to retain some of that business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.