Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Possible relaxed requirements for those who wanna level up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible relaxed requirements for those who wanna level up?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
2020 nights aren't wasted towards Lifetime Status!

James
Many of us are already lifetime Platinum/Titanium and nowhere higher to go.
MSPeconomist and kauppias like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mileageking
Many of us are already lifetime Platinum/Titanium and nowhere higher to go.
Of course! The 2020 nights and status extension are really of no value to Lifetime Platinum+ Elites unless you are striving for Ambassador or Titanium as a LTP. 2020 nights are not wasted if you are still "on the road" to Lifetime status. Their 2020 status earned in 2019 is extended through early 2022 without "earning" it. If you reach your desired status in 2020 organically you will get another Lifetime year. I think some are looking for an easy path to that but ultimately you still need the nights. It is unlikely that a Platinum who has never been a Titanium will retain their Titanium Status in 2022 if it has to be earned in 2021. A lower threshold in 2020 for a one-year bump would cause an imbalance in 2021 when Golds are Platinums, Platinums are Titaniums and so on. At least those 2020 nights are working in your favour so I don't see how they are wasted.

James
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:54 am

Of course! The 2020 nights and status extension are really of no value to Lifetime Platinum+ Elites unless you are striving for Ambassador or Titanium as a LTP. 2020 nights are not wasted if you are still "on the road" to Lifetime status. Their 2020 status earned in 2019 is extended through early 2022 without "earning" it. If you reach your desired status in 2020 organically you will get another Lifetime year. I think some are looking for an easy path to that but ultimately you still need the nights. It is unlikely that a Platinum who has never been a Titanium will retain their Titanium Status in 2022 if it has to be earned in 2021. A lower threshold in 2020 for a one-year bump would cause an imbalance in 2021 when Golds are Platinums, Platinums are Titaniums and so on. At least those 2020 nights are working in your favour so I don't see how they are wasted.

James
Don't disagree with your logic, however it's all about me and others like me . I have Ambassador status and also LT Platinum with 40 nights and approx. $8.5k spend this year. How will your logic help me? If Marriott does nothing for my stays/spend this year, it'll go to waste. Instead if they rollover to 2021 (count towards Ambassador benefits through Feb 2023) , it'll motivate me to stay and spend more at Marriott for balance of this year when things improve.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:42 am

Don't disagree with your logic, however it's all about me and others like me . I have Ambassador status and also LT Platinum with 40 nights and approx. $8.5k spend this year. How will your logic help me? If Marriott does nothing for my stays/spend this year, it'll go to waste. Instead if they rollover to 2021 (count towards Ambassador benefits through Feb 2023) , it'll motivate me to stay and spend more at Marriott for balance of this year when things improve.
Fair analysis! I did add the seeking Ambassador Elite caveat. I suspect that you and others in the same position account for a small percentage of those that might make Platinum for the first time. Although, I could be wrong. Perhaps the nights in your case might not be wasted if they reintroduce LTTE again. I don't think there really is an easy "one size fits all" solution. The spend requirement for Ambassador Elites does add another level of complexity. I was late to the Marriot game. I have been a member since 2014 so I still have 4 years to Lifetime Platinum. I had 103 nights last year but about $8K short of Ambassador Elite Status. This year, I am currently at 39 nights, mostly award stays, with $1.5K in spend. I should have been close to 50. I can do another 11 nights on awards and FNCs. If conditions permit traveling again later in the year I will strive to reach at least Platinum. If I am unable to, I know I will still be Titanium through early 2022. However, for me, the 39 nights in 2020 are not wasted.

How would you feel if Marriott dropped the spend requirement for Ambassador Elite status in 2021, for one year? That would be equivalent to reducing staus thresholds in 2020 so more Platinums will be Titaniums in the same Tier as I am. Alternatively, we could just move 2020 nights & spend forward to start 2021 for everyone. That way, I could combine two years to bump my status to Ambassador Elite in 2022. Not to worry though, I would have no intention on achieving it again for 2023.

James
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:28 am

let’s take your suggestion of rolling forward 2020 nights into 2021. Wouldn’t we have the same comment that someone already have 50+ nights rolled into 2021 and there will be no motivation to stay and spend more with Marriott in 2021?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I somehow have a feeling there will be alot of promos in 2021/2022 but no matter what some of us will be dissappointed and some of you will be happy 😁😁😂

I am a eternal pessimist so I will count on that 😁
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by myperks
let’s take your suggestion of rolling forward 2020 nights into 2021. Wouldn’t we have the same comment that someone already have 50+ nights rolled into 2021 and there will be no motivation to stay and spend more with Marriott in 2021?
I believe this is the reason why some chains take the simple way of extending their elites expiration date altogether.

They will have predicted that it will be very little chance the normal level of business returns in 2020
So rather than try to fight for the less than normal business on the remaining 2020 (after virus issue end) they prefer start fresh
Yes some people might shop around to see competitor offering, but the limited time means its not easy to earn any substantial tier with competitors.

As for myself, I already have 31 nights/ 11k spending at Marriott. If the travel restriction lifted, I will still continue stays at mix between Marriott hotels, Kempinskis, and Raffles (I got ALL Platinum)
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:59 pm

How would you feel if Marriott dropped the spend requirement for Ambassador Elite status in 2021, for one year? That would be equivalent to reducing staus thresholds in 2020 so more Platinums will be Titaniums in the same Tier as I am. Alternatively, we could just move 2020 nights & spend forward to start 2021 for everyone. That way, I could combine two years to bump my status to Ambassador Elite in 2022. Not to worry though, I would have no intention on achieving it again for 2023.

James
Can't speak for all Ambassadors, I'm pretty easy going as long as my 2020 stays and spend is somehow recognized. 2021 reduced stay & spend qualification, rollover 2020 to 2021 (preference), bucket of bonus points , book of FNs , giving members a banked year of Ambassador status if they achieve 2020 nights and spend requirements, are all good options.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
Not the same. COVID-19 impacted this year, MAR extended status this year for next, reduced travel with country entry restrictions are happening this year, I for one already stayed 40% of night requirement and spent close to half the required dollars towards Ambassador prior to shutdowns and will continue staying once things get back to normal (even semi-normal) this year. If MAR did something for their most loyal customers, members would feel even more motivated to stay and not switch to others.
qlaval likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
So I am still confused about the extension and related details.. Will I get to roll over any of the nights (know Marriott does not usually do rollovers) into 2021, or do we all start with zero nights and spend as of 1/1/2021? If we start with nothing in 2021, I might as well just take the whole year off from travel. Or would I have any incentive anyone sees (already LT Titanium so don't think there is anything else that would matter for LT) I know Delta you are rolling over some stuff, but here I don't think there is anything... Am I missing something... This is what I got as of now..

Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Delta does rollovers

No other of the major air/hotel programs AFAIK do rollovers
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Delta does rollovers

No other of the major air/hotel programs AFAIK do rollovers
IHG does some sort of Rollover 😁
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:42 pm

Can't speak for all Ambassadors, I'm pretty easy going as long as my 2020 stays and spend is somehow recognized. 2021 reduced stay & spend qualification, rollover 2020 to 2021 (preference), bucket of bonus points , book of FNs , giving members a banked year of Ambassador status if they achieve 2020 nights and spend requirements, are all good options.
How about looking at it this way! "I made 2021 Ambassador Elite Status on 40 nights & $8.5K spend in 2020."

I don't quite understand your "as long as sentiment." If you don't feel incentivized to continue staying with Marriott then you must not value your 2019 earned Ambassador Elite Status, now good through early 2022. Isn't that how your 2020 stays and spend to date have been recognized? Were they really wasted? If you think they have then why persue requalifying especially when you have LTP to fall back on?

Would rolling over 2020 nights & spend to 2021 for a bump towards 2022 qualification for everyone seem prudent when the 2022 significant influx of newly minted Ambassador Elites, (starting in 2021) meeting the requirements easily over 2 years, further dilutes the pool? Perhaps that would be time to consider if your 2020 AND 2021 stays & spend were wasted even if you choose to discount the "recognition" of your status for the early 2020 stays when it was business as usual.

James
clarkef, myperks and kaizen7 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:46 pm

How about looking at it this way! "I made 2021 Ambassador Elite Status on 40 nights & $8.5K spend in 2020."
Can't look at it that way as they extended for all even those without stays / spent dollars.

I don't quite understand your "as long as sentiment." If you don't feel incentivized to continue staying with Marriott then you must not value your 2019 earned Ambassador Elite Status, now good through early 2022. Isn't that how your 2020 stays and spend to date have been recognized? Were they really wasted? If you think they have then why persue requalifying especially when you
have LTP to fall back on?
I spent nights and dollars and will continue to do so up-to potentially achieving Ambassador status qualification in 2020 again. If I qualify then I should expect Marriott to value this achievement regardless of the free one year extension they offered all members. It's that simple and shouldn't be difficult to follow.

Would rolling over 2020 nights & spend to 2021 for a bump towards 2022 qualification for everyone seem prudent when the 2022 significant influx of newly minted Ambassador Elites, (starting in 2021) meeting the requirements easily over 2 years, further dilutes the pool? Perhaps that would be time to consider if your 2020 AND 2021 stays & spend were wasted even if you choose to discount the "recognition" of your status for the early 2020 stays when it was business as usual.
First I did not say "for everyone" so let's avoid quoting something that wasn't stated. I haven't suggested rollovers in the past ever, however this is one year they should consider including (but not limited to) all other options I suggested. There are several others that have the same perspective. You have a perspective, unfortunately we don't see the same and we can leave it at that.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Marriott makes these decisions based on what is best for the success or even survival of the company. Whether any member feels ‘elite‘ enough is secondary. If average occupancy in 2020 and 2021 is 1/3 of what it was in 2019, the overall experience ‘elites’ have will not suffer even if there are 3 times as many.
All of this backs up my statement that there is no meaning to the word 'elite' anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.