Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Possible relaxed requirements for those who wanna level up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible relaxed requirements for those who wanna level up?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
While we at this issue,
Can members from countries that don't have opportunity to earn elite nights from CC get reduced qualifying nights as well?

say 35 nights for plat, 60 nights for titanium and 85 nights for ambassadors (they can keep the spend requirements as is)?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
They already offer challenges to platinums. How much easier do they need to make it?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another approach might be to count all 2020 and 2021 nights (and spend for AMB level) for status during 2022. Otherwise, except for points and SNAs (at 50 and 75 nights, or alternate choice of gifts such as the free night), all nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted.
Agree. Being Ambassador already, don't want 2020 nights and spend go to waste.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaizen7
While we at this issue,
Can members from countries that don't have opportunity to earn elite nights from CC get reduced qualifying nights as well?

say 35 nights for plat, 60 nights for titanium and 85 nights for ambassadors (they can keep the spend requirements as is)?
It wouldn't be possible to reduce qualifying nights just for members without the co-branded CC. They have to separate those who paid annual fees and kept the cards. And AMEX and Chase need retention.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I doubt that MAR will slash any earning requirements its easier to assign targeted double or triple EQN promos...If the recovery becomes U or L shaped then MAR will be in the doghouse especially if corporate travel is slashed ... then MAR might start to rethink their loyalty strategy (and so will the other chains) .... personally I hope for a V shaped recovery for all of us sake ...
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by X-ON
I doubt that MAR will slash any earning requirements its easier to assign targeted double or triple EQN promos...If the recovery becomes U or L shaped then MAR will be in the doghouse especially if corporate travel is slashed ... then MAR might start to rethink their loyalty strategy (and so will the other chains) .... personally I hope for a V shaped recovery for all of us sake ...

biz travel may be lost at many companies in 2020, they might have to dig deep into promos to get butts in beds
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
While we at this issue,

This would be unfair as not everyone who can get a particular credit card wants to do so, even if there were no annual fee.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
This would be unfair as not everyone who can get a particular credit card wants to do so, even if there were no annual fee.

they should offer some form of possibility for CC nights ie meetings or the such so to make it even. could be CC nights OR max 30nights from meetings
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Right now businesses have to think that they can’t keep making decisions 1-3 weeks out, which is becoming the norm with businesses I am involved with. Eventually, they will have to start thinking more long term. And likely what that means is that business travel will be extremely limited for the rest of 2020 - only when essential, key employees, etc. Whether there is a second wave, or seasonality isn’t real, employers have to start recognizing that business travel will become extremely limited.

I think Marriott will do some things, but I don’t see them lowering the requirements. If they had a better IT operation, I think they would follow the SPG model of “Select Member Exclusive” and create unique deals for members based on what they think their type of travel patterns, likelihood of getting a good ROI, etc. I’m just not sure their IT is up to that task.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
While the initial post were made as a tongue in cheek comment, it actually show that MAR is already unfair to those stay outside countries that offer CC nights.
Not only we have to earn our nights "the hard way" we also have limited Marriotts footprint in these countries.
North Americans can still stay at Marriotts family hotels even in smaller rural town while in some countries Marriott only concentrated in the larger cities

The only idea I can think to even out playing field will be offering targeted double EQN promotions to such members.

But then again MAR is not charity so they will do their best to maximise revenue.
Their earning from those co branded CC definitely significant enough until they willing to give such number of night credit, free night award etc etc.

As for the topic on hand, I guess if Marriott want current members to be able to upgrade they might go Accor way, gifting current tier half or even full night requirements so people who still travel can easily upgrade their status.
Which might not what Marriott have in mind.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
While the initial post were made as a tongue in cheek comment, it actually show that MAR is already unfair to those stay outside countries that offer CC nights.
Not only we have to earn our nights "the hard way" we also have limited Marriotts footprint in these countries.
North Americans can still stay at Marriotts family hotels even in smaller rural town while in some countries Marriott only concentrated in the larger cities

The only idea I can think to even out playing field will be offering targeted double EQN promotions to such members.

But then again MAR is not charity so they will do their best to maximise revenue.
Their earning from those co branded CC definitely significant enough until they willing to give such number of night credit, free night award etc etc.

As for the topic on hand, I guess if Marriott want current members to be able to upgrade they might go Accor way, gifting current tier half or even full night requirements so people who still travel can easily upgrade their status.
Which might not what Marriott have in mind.
I hope Marriott is maximizing profit or market value rather than doing "their best to maximize revenue." These aren't the same.

Many of us avoid many brands in the Marriott/Bonvoy portfolio. These are the brands that would be available in smaller rural towns (which some of us avoid too, unless that smaller rural town has a very nice full service resort hotel, etc.) even in countries having that gigantic Marriott footprint, although the brands to be avoided might also be available in big nonrural towns and cities, including in countries without the gigantic Marriott/Bonvoy footprint. [For example, there are a lot of Courtyards in Asia as well as in the USA; I have no desire to stay in them regardless of location.]
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:49 pm

In my opinion, if they were to relax requirements for new members to achieve a higher status, it should be on an individual basis. If they are extending status for everyone that had it in 2019, and then relaxing standards for status for everyone else, then there is no meaning to the word 'elite.'
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Jaunts
If they are extending status for everyone that had it in 2019, and then relaxing standards for status for everyone else, then there is no meaning to the word 'elite.'
Marriott makes these decisions based on what is best for the success or even survival of the company. Whether any member feels ‘elite‘ enough is secondary. If average occupancy in 2020 and 2021 is 1/3 of what it was in 2019, the overall experience ‘elites’ have will not suffer even if there are 3 times as many.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stallion114
They already offer challenges to platinums. How much easier do they need to make it?
It's for existing Plat members wanna hit Titanium or Ambassador. And those who doesn't want their 2020 nights to be wasted.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cw22288
It's for existing Plat members wanna hit Titanium or Ambassador. And those who doesn't want their 2020 nights to be wasted.
2020 nights aren't wasted towards Lifetime Status!

James
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.