Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Possible relaxed requirements for those who wanna level up?

Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

The extension is based on 2019 nights. What about those who wanna level up after travel resumes? Would MAR be like UA/Accor by relaxing EQN requirements? Hopefully by 50%?
People are under lockdown from March to hopefully June. And when we resume travel, we may face forced quarantine by other countries.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cw22288
The extension is based on 2019 nights. What about those who wanna level up after travel resumes? Would MAR be like UA/Accor by relaxing EQN requirements? Hopefully by 50%?
People are under lockdown from March to hopefully June. And when we resume travel, we may face forced quarantine by other countries.
50% sounds very unlikely. It would send everyone who holds a personal and business card in the US to platinum immediately.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
the ONLY thing I think they Will do is have a Double points promo and a targetted DEQN promo. thats pretty much their go to thing

a DEQN promo open to all might drive in some business but Bonvoy seems to be sure they have a great product and doesnt feel the need to be generous orneven treat members fairly... too big to not fail
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
They've already extended status, I'm not sure they'll see a need to make it easier for customers to gain status or increase a level. Although the "gain" part might make sense. Outside of FT, I don't think there are many people who pursue "leveling up". They stay at hotels as their work or vacations require and take whatever status they earn.

Of course I may be wrong, and am always in favor of promos.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another approach might be to count all 2020 and 2021 nights (and spend for AMB level) for status during 2022. Otherwise, except for points and SNAs (at 50 and 75 nights, or alternate choice of gifts such as the free night), all nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted.
mileageking and cfabar1 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Otherwise, except for points and SNAs (at 50 and 75 nights, or alternate choice of gifts such as the free night), all nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted.
Thats only if Marriott has already extended your status. For most other folks its still a regular year.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:49 am

Another approach might be to count all 2020 and 2021 nights (and spend for AMB level) for status during 2022. Otherwise, except for points and SNAs (at 50 and 75 nights, or alternate choice of gifts such as the free night), all nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted.
All nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted is true for all (major) programs that extended status at this point.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Those programs that incent members for, I don't know, staying more 10 night intervals, quite definitely aren't wasted
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I predict your'e probably going to get your wish. I think restrictions will partly be lifted in the June-August timeframe, although spectator sports and concerts will not resume for another year or so. There will still be virus hotspots which will take another 3-6 months to squash. The economy will not rebound as quickly as it crashed so there will be opportunities around. If not from Marriott then one of the competitors.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I predict your'e probably going to get your wish. I think restrictions will partly be lifted in the June-August timeframe, although spectator sports and concerts will not resume for another year or so. There will still be virus hotspots which will take another 3-6 months to squash. The economy will not rebound as quickly as it crashed so there will be opportunities around. If not from Marriott then one of the competitors.
I agree with the last part. Someone is going to see an opportunity to steal some market share away from the big guys by offering some sweet deals. Just not sure who yet. But I think it's unlikely one of the big guys (Marriott) will do it. Of course the key to everything is the definition of "partly be lifted".
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
Request a platinum challenge.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by myperks
All nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted is true for all (major) programs that extended status at this point.
Not true for DL and MQMs.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:26 pm

Not true for DL and MQMs.
referring to hotel programs but okay... what are you going to do with all those MQMs if they arent rolling forward the MQDs as well? (For those that dont ride high value fares and back of the bus)
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
referring to hotel programs but okay... what are you going to do with all those MQMs if they arent rolling forward the MQDs as well? (For those that dont ride high value fares and back of the bus)
True, but those with foreign addresses are (unfortunately IMO) exempt from the MQD requirement while everyone can get a MQD waiver for FO/GM/PM status (but not DM) with $25,000 spend on DL AmEx cards.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:46 pm

True, but those with foreign addresses are (unfortunately IMO) exempt from the MQD requirement while everyone can get a MQD waiver for FO/GM/PM status (but not DM) with $25,000 spend on DL AmEx cards.
Fair point on MQD exemption. Kind of region-specific like US-credit card eligible Bonvoy members can get up to 30 elite nights and old school Marriott card getting 1 elite night per $3k spend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.