FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Possible relaxed requirements for those who wanna level up? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2015383-possible-relaxed-requirements-those-who-wanna-level-up.html)

cw22288 Apr 8, 2020 10:15 pm

Possible relaxed requirements for those who wanna level up?

The extension is based on 2019 nights. What about those who wanna level up after travel resumes? Would MAR be like UA/Accor by relaxing EQN requirements? Hopefully by 50%?
People are under lockdown from March to hopefully June. And when we resume travel, we may face forced quarantine by other countries.

nexusCFX Apr 9, 2020 1:51 am

Originally Posted by cw22288 (Post 32277671)
The extension is based on 2019 nights. What about those who wanna level up after travel resumes? Would MAR be like UA/Accor by relaxing EQN requirements? Hopefully by 50%?
People are under lockdown from March to hopefully June. And when we resume travel, we may face forced quarantine by other countries.

50% sounds very unlikely. It would send everyone who holds a personal and business card in the US to platinum immediately.

kauppias Apr 9, 2020 2:36 am

the ONLY thing I think they Will do is have a Double points promo and a targetted DEQN promo. thats pretty much their go to thing :(

a DEQN promo open to all might drive in some business but Bonvoy seems to be sure they have a great product and doesnt feel the need to be generous orneven treat members fairly... too big to not fail

JBord Apr 9, 2020 5:48 am

They've already extended status, I'm not sure they'll see a need to make it easier for customers to gain status or increase a level. Although the "gain" part might make sense. Outside of FT, I don't think there are many people who pursue "leveling up". They stay at hotels as their work or vacations require and take whatever status they earn.

Of course I may be wrong, and am always in favor of promos.

MSPeconomist Apr 9, 2020 8:06 am

Another approach might be to count all 2020 and 2021 nights (and spend for AMB level) for status during 2022. Otherwise, except for points and SNAs (at 50 and 75 nights, or alternate choice of gifts such as the free night), all nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted.

escapefromphl Apr 9, 2020 8:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32278582)
Otherwise, except for points and SNAs (at 50 and 75 nights, or alternate choice of gifts such as the free night), all nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted.

That’s only if Marriott has already extended your status. For most other folks it’s still a regular year.

myperks Apr 9, 2020 8:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32278582)
Another approach might be to count all 2020 and 2021 nights (and spend for AMB level) for status during 2022. Otherwise, except for points and SNAs (at 50 and 75 nights, or alternate choice of gifts such as the free night), all nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted.

All nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted is true for all (major) programs that extended status at this point.

UA-NYC Apr 9, 2020 9:06 am

Those programs that incent members for, I don't know, staying more 10 night intervals, quite definitely aren't wasted :idea:

escapefromphl Apr 9, 2020 9:19 am

I predict your'e probably going to get your wish. I think restrictions will partly be lifted in the June-August timeframe, although spectator sports and concerts will not resume for another year or so. There will still be virus hotspots which will take another 3-6 months to squash. The economy will not rebound as quickly as it crashed so there will be opportunities around. If not from Marriott then one of the competitors.

JBord Apr 9, 2020 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 32278760)
I predict your'e probably going to get your wish. I think restrictions will partly be lifted in the June-August timeframe, although spectator sports and concerts will not resume for another year or so. There will still be virus hotspots which will take another 3-6 months to squash. The economy will not rebound as quickly as it crashed so there will be opportunities around. If not from Marriott then one of the competitors.

I agree with the last part. Someone is going to see an opportunity to steal some market share away from the big guys by offering some sweet deals. Just not sure who yet. But I think it's unlikely one of the big guys (Marriott) will do it. Of course the key to everything is the definition of "partly be lifted".

ackpfft Apr 9, 2020 3:19 pm

Request a platinum challenge.

MSPeconomist Apr 9, 2020 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 32278682)
All nights and spend during all of 2020 is basically wasted is true for all (major) programs that extended status at this point.

Not true for DL and MQMs.

myperks Apr 9, 2020 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32280170)
Not true for DL and MQMs.

referring to hotel programs but okay... what are you going to do with all those MQMs if they aren’t rolling forward the MQDs as well? (For those that don’t ride high value fares and back of the bus)

MSPeconomist Apr 9, 2020 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 32280206)
referring to hotel programs but okay... what are you going to do with all those MQMs if they aren’t rolling forward the MQDs as well? (For those that don’t ride high value fares and back of the bus)

True, but those with foreign addresses are (unfortunately IMO) exempt from the MQD requirement while everyone can get a MQD waiver for FO/GM/PM status (but not DM) with $25,000 spend on DL AmEx cards.

myperks Apr 9, 2020 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32280305)
True, but those with foreign addresses are (unfortunately IMO) exempt from the MQD requirement while everyone can get a MQD waiver for FO/GM/PM status (but not DM) with $25,000 spend on DL AmEx cards.

Fair point on MQD exemption. Kind of region-specific like US-credit card eligible Bonvoy members can get up to 30 elite nights and old school Marriott card getting 1 elite night per $3k spend.