Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:09 am

Well if we are worried about fair - what about those of us who hit naturally in spite of this situation? If we are going to be fair then those of us who spent the time and earned the status should see a reward commensurate with everyone else?

I personally wouldn't mind if the airlines and hotels did nothing. That way those of us who actually earned the status with stays and flights would reap the benefits of supporting the airlines and hotels when they needed it. That would be fair to everyone and reward those of us who spent the time and money when they needed it.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Well if we are worried about fair - what about those of us who hit naturally in spite of this situation? If we are going to be fair then those of us who spent the time and earned the status should see a reward commensurate with everyone else?

I personally wouldn't mind if the airlines and hotels did nothing. That way those of us who actually earned the status with stays and flights would reap the benefits of supporting the airlines and hotels when they needed it. That would be fair to everyone and reward those of us who spent the time and money when they needed it.
I'm confused by your first paragraph. I agree that someone who earns status should get all the rewards...not the same as someone who is "gifted" their current status. Someone who earns it will get the additional points, SNA's, and all the other benefits. If Marriott wants to do something on top of that for actual earners, that's fine too.

I understand your view in paragraph two, but that's not a macro view of the situation. Certainly Marriott could take that action, but they'd risk losing customers. The whole point of this discussion, from the Marriott perspective, is recovering and keeping customers after this passes. There's nothing they can or should be doing to encourage people to travel unnecessarily now. Rolling status over during this extraordinary time is the best tool they have to recover quickly, IMO.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Extending everyone's status for a year at this point is not the correct course of action. My address is China and evidently I'm going to get extended so I speak from a position of someone who's already benefitted from Marriott's policy.

They should do one of the following:

a) double night promo for everyone for the last x months of the year - this assumes that at some point this year the world gets back to normal. Double nights for the last 4-6 months would work for many people and encourage bookings. But it won't work if we're still in lockdown.

b) credit everyone with xx nights per month based on 2020 status until the world gets back to normal. This is what Cathay is doing with its qualifying miles and it makes sense. As Cathay Gold I'm getting 65 qualifying miles a month credited. When we're back to normal this will stop. An equivalent scheme could be done for hotel status.

But really, worrying about requalification in March when we have no idea how the rest of the year will pan out is too early. Focusing on reducing social contact, improving personal hygiene, and avoiding close contact with elderly, vulnerable, relatives will result in a greater improvement in your quality of life this year.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by JBord
I'm confused by your first paragraph. I agree that someone who earns status should get all the rewards...not the same as someone who is "gifted" their current status. Someone who earns it will get the additional points, SNA's, and all the other benefits. If Marriott wants to do something on top of that for actual earners, that's fine too.

I understand your view in paragraph two, but that's not a macro view of the situation. Certainly Marriott could take that action, but they'd risk losing customers. The whole point of this discussion, from the Marriott perspective, is recovering and keeping customers after this passes. There's nothing they can or should be doing to encourage people to travel unnecessarily now. Rolling status over during this extraordinary time is the best tool they have to recover quickly, IMO.

I am very close to the 50 nights already. Even with the travel ban I will hit 75 nights in early summer. Depending on my mood I could easily do ambassador with the spend. If they want to risk someone like me leaving then by all means do something arbitrary. I would be very unhappy if they were to look past that type of loyalty while extending concessions to people who did not hit that level.

I don't care what they do for others, but to not recognize those that actually helped keep them afloat during this mess is a major problem. I think this applies across the entire spectrum of travel companies. Airlines, rental cars, hotels, whatever. They all have to take into account those that still traveled and actually contributed to their financial stability.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I am very close to the 50 nights already. Even with the travel ban I will hit 75 nights in early summer. Depending on my mood I could easily do ambassador with the spend. If they want to risk someone like me leaving then by all means do something arbitrary. I would be very unhappy if they were to look past that type of loyalty while extending concessions to people who did not hit that level.

I don't care what they do for others, but to not recognize those that actually helped keep them afloat during this mess is a major problem. I think this applies across the entire spectrum of travel companies. Airlines, rental cars, hotels, whatever. They all have to take into account those that still traveled and actually contributed to their financial stability.
Maybe you could just get a free T-shirt from Marriott saying "I was there Man" to show how your unwavering devotion ensured the companies survival?

On a serious note, if world wide occupancy is massively reduced over the year, which we are all assuming is the case, then Marriott will be more concerned with retaining as many customers as possible in the future as opposed to being worried about upsetting the odd Ambassador with their measly 20k spend.
wordsmith, JBord, tomwhom and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:47 am

I agree with you, but I don't think anyone is saying people who earn status shouldn't be rewarded. Perhaps they even give you Ambassador status if you don't reach the spend, based on the revenue you contributed. No one is saying they'll ignore any customers, just that this is an extraordinary time and if they don't act appropriately they could lose a significant amount of repeat business. You state that if they look past your contribution you'll leave. But there's no indication that they'll ignore you, just because they're helping others.

I don't expect that they would "arbitrarily" roll over status. I assume they would appropriately assess the business situation and the economic climate before making a decision like that. I also think it depends on the timing of when travel returns to normal. And they'll consider what others in the travel industry are doing.

I think you should care what they do for others too. I want to be a customer of a company that makes good business decisions and treats customers well. It might not benefit you personally this time, but maybe it will next time.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by JBord
Agreed, and I noted that as an exception in my post. I just struggle with some type of "special" blanket recognition for people who are staying at hotels during this time as your original post suggested. I suppose if the recognition is only announced after this is behind us, at least it wouldn't be incentive for bad behavior. Like I wrote, I just can't figure out how to feel about it.

And this is an example of why I'm conflicted. I'm not suggesting you are doing anything wrong as you consider your plan, but we know there are people out there ignoring all the warnings and guidance. And there's some subset, however small, of incredibly selfish people who are seeing low airfare and hotel rates and are booking vacations. And another subset (with some crossover) of people who are doing it to maintain their statuses. I don't want to see those people rewarded for their behavior. I would hope Marriott, and others, would come out in a few weeks when we have a better idea of how long this is likely to last and announce that status earning requirements are waived. Everyone keeps their status and people who didn't have it but earned it will keep it, which includes those essential workers mentioned here. SNA's, LT years, and other things only if you actually earned the nights.

It's not perfect and someone may have a better idea, but I think it's fair.
I mean, I won't lie...I have considered grabbing lunch with friends in another city. But no small part of the calculation is expected load factors. I'm not joking when I say that I think I could probably meet social distancing rules on quite a few flights (on a BE ticket I'd just ignore the seat assignment and go for a window as far from anyone else as possible...on a 737 with 20 people I could probably put at least six feet between me and anyone else); I know air circulation is an issue (that's been the main reason I'm erring against this; one relatively limited trip is still probable, but there are complicated circumstances underlying that and the trip was supposed to happen regardless). From a policy perspective, I wouldn't be opposed to the airlines being ordered to re-stabilize fares as a condition of a bailout (to discourage this sort of thing). Really, the question is "How do I balance a reasonable effort to comply with health recommendations, a desire to do certain things (there are ways to make a trip happen...I think I could actually get to Florida in my car without violating social distancing, for example), and my house's toilet paper supply?" (And yes, "I am out of toilet paper" would be a contributing factor to a decision to decamp to a hotel that presumably has a stable supply chain...)

Back to the hotel side of things, I think the bigger concern is that from all the modeling I've seen (read the Imperial College report) this is not only gonna hose spring/summer '20, but it's gonna back off and then come back with a vengeance in the fall. So it is hard to say what hotels, etc. should do (especially considering their relative ill health).
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
So it is hard to say what hotels, etc. should do (especially considering their relative ill health).
Most accurate statement made in this thread so far.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, again, a reminder that the forum, like the rest of FT, is being actively moderated to prevent Marriott-specific threads mutating into general discussion of Covid-19.

Similarly, now the gravity of the situation is clear and the "Unprecedented travel crisis / jobs being lost / people are dying / you’re lucky to have a bed / how DARE you worry about your status" points have been well made, there's no need to keep repeating them if folks wish to discuss, for example, the future shape of Marriott and the Bonvoy program once the crisis has passed.

Your co-operation is welcomed.

The mod team
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
My $0.02

Trying novel formulations in a laudable but misguided attempt to be fair doesn't work. One person's travels is consistent throughout the year, while another person's travel occurs primarily during a certain timeframe. One person can travel domestically, another lives in an area (say California) that today ordered a statewide shelter in place, while another travels internationally, which today, the US State Department advised against. Whatever Marriott decides is "unfair" to someone depending on their travel pattern.

Marriott has to decide what's the best way to retain its customers. If someone loses status because their travel was temporarily curtained due to a global pandemic, that is a good way to lose a customer. Marriott should extend 2020 status to 2021 for those who do not otherwise meet requalification thresholds. Let's be honest, no one will separate from Marriott because it extended status, but some will walk if they lose status because of a Covid-19.
TomBrady and tomwhom like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Agreed. Likely the best would be global status extension plus introducing rollover nights again, so the ones who travel get something extra next year.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I remember post 9/11 in NYC having to go through security in many large office buildings. I could see something similar happen if this virus does continue through the summer into the fall AND someone invents a device that can instantly tell if someone has it (like the thermometer-guns). Hotels could screen for infected guests as they arrive. In some countries, the infrastructure for checking people at the entrance is already in place. For example, every hotel I stay at in India already has security at the front door. TSA security screening would include this check as well. There would still be risks ("why is my Uber driver coughing?"), but I really need to get in front of my customers as soon as it's safe to do so. Work from home can function for a while while my customers are working from home as well, but eventually some decisions and work functions require you be in the same room to be effective. And once my customers are back in their offices, I'll need to be there as well.

If a Marriott near their office can "certify" (whatever that entails) that they're safe, I'll be there. And my first booking will likely be for 2 weeks just for starters.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by clarkef

Marriott has to decide what's the best way to retain its customers. If someone loses status because their travel was temporarily curtained due to a global pandemic, that is a good way to lose a customer.
Ultimately, this is what it comes down to. Businesses aren't sympathetic to customers, or "green", or "woke" or anything else, despite what their marketing departments churn out. They make business decisions. If Marriott believes this is the best way to retain customers, they'll extend status. They might also launch generous promotions instead to make it easy to regain status. Or they might do nothing. It depends on the economic climate and what competitors do.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Marriott won’t do anything until Hilton and Hyatt have, especially Hilton. This is what happened in the Greater China Region.

Ultimately, if people have elite status with Hilton or Hyatt next year as Hilton/Hyatt extended the status to Feb 2022, but Marriott didn’t, then obviously Marriott will lose some business in 2021.

2020 is toast as we all know it.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
If the global lockdown continue until end of the year then Marriott have no choice.
They will need to extend the status for another year (or two depends on when this issue ends)
Otherwise they definitely lose customers.

Especially after IHG, Hyatt, and Hilton announce that they will extend the elite status.
Those people who have status on these programs will be more entices to spend more nights on these chains.

And for people who don't have elite status at other chain, they pretty much become free agent if they did lose their elite status as staying at a Marriott hotels will be similar to say stay at a Hilton due to no elite benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.