Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The main issue I see is that they are likely going to have to offer status extensions at the end of 2020 for 2021 as well. Unless things improve drastically quite soon which is unlikely we will have a very abbreviated 2020 qualification period.
Unless I misunderstand your post, that's what Hilton is doing. If you earned Gold (for example) during 2019 for the 2020 year -- legitimately Gold for 2020 -- then you'll keep that status through March 31, 2022. The example I just gave is actually me, my Hilton Gold will now go through 3/31/22 regardless of what I do this year.

What they are NOT doing is extending the status you had in 2019 for another year. It makes sense, and is exactly what many of us in this thread have been predicting of Marriott.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by JBord
Unless I misunderstand your post, that's what Hilton is doing. If you earned Gold (for example) during 2019 for the 2020 year -- legitimately Gold for 2020 -- then you'll keep that status through March 31, 2022. The example I just gave is actually me, my Hilton Gold will now go through 3/31/22 regardless of what I do this year.

What they are NOT doing is extending the status you had in 2019 for another year. It makes sense, and is exactly what many of us in this thread have been predicting of Marriott.
This seems like it's an extension of 2019 status (earned in 2018) to me:
"2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
To be fair, in the states, you can just get a credit card and BOOOM, instant Hilton Diamond or Gold.

So extending Hilton status is nowhere near a big deal as extending Marriott status, at least for those in US.

I for one wait with bated breath for Marriott to extend my status through 2021 when I can travel again. Got Hawaii booked in March!
Bingo! These programs are VERY different in terms of earning status.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by JBord
Wait, isn't this is exactly what they are doing? Based on my reading, 2019 status gets extended for the 2020, and 2020 status gets extended through 2021.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
This seems like it's an extension of 2019 status (earned in 2018) to me:
"2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021."
Yes, I misread that in the email -- didn't pay close attention since it didn't apply to me . So they're actually doing it for both years. Thanks for pointing that out.
I don't think it's necessary to extend the 2019 status, it's basically a gift that no one ever would have considered. But the 2020 status extension makes a ton of sense.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: Alaska
Though many got status extension from Hilton, they still watch what Marriott is going to do. It tells that they are not exactly loyal to Hilton even though Hilton just offered big benefit. Marriott is what they desire. Hilton is just second choice.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by X-ON
Good luck getting MAR IT implementing that ...they cant even get year count correct....not a bad idea though
i agree....it would be a comedy of errors for them to even try doing something like that....
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
HILTON HAS EXTENDED EARNED ELITE STATUS TO MARCH 2022.

It’s on their official website under COVID-19 response.

Hopefully Marriott does the same!
Its very generous offer from Hilton and I believe they are the first chain announce this kind of extension.
(Quite worrying as it means the boffins at Hilton HQ predict the issue will be continue well into next year)

While I do hope Marriott and other chains follow suit, I believe 1 year extension will be sufficient for the time being.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Its very generous offer from Hilton and I believe they are the first chain announce this kind of extension.
(Quite worrying as it means the boffins at Hilton HQ predict the issue will be continue well into next year)

While I do hope Marriott and other chains follow suit, I believe 1 year extension will be sufficient for the time being.
LOL. I find it funny that everyone also has to add a comment to spin the positive that Hilton has done into a negative. Imagine that - doing something positive for the consumer means "they think Coronavirus will extend into next year so they are boffins". I guess on that thought train, Marriott must be Messiah for screwing it's customers.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Smile Second Chain to extend status

Originally Posted by kaizen7

Hilton is the second chain to extend status, Best Western extended status on March 9.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS, Malaysia Airlines Enrich Platinum
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Yet as someone that has stayed enough nights with Hilton to get Diamond & Marriott to get Platinum, I can categorically say that in my experience Hilton treat their loyalty members far far better.
I am both Titanium (earned) and Diamond (earned) and concur with your observation/opinion. Hilton definitely treats its top tier (I know there is Ambassador) customers better....and I do think Hilton differentiates 'card earned' Diamond different from 'stay earned' Diamond staus. Is that another discussion thread?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I earned Marriott titanium and Hilton diamond last year and agree Hilton does a better job recognizing status/extending benefits.

i am hoping Marriott does nothing and just thins the herd. Mostly because I already have 58 2020 nights.

my guess is they follow Hilton’s lead and extend whatever was earned during 2019.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by stallion114

i am hoping Marriott does nothing and just thins the herd. Mostly because I already have 58 2020 nights.
As a LT Platinum, I can understand that feeling too. But I'm not sure it matters in the end. If they don't extend status, then they're going to have to do something else to attract and retain customers. Maybe it's simple status challenges to get people back to status very quickly. Maybe it's offering lounge access to different groups or for a nominal fee (ex. $10/night). I think it's a better strategy to just extend status and keep the loyal customers they already have. It's typically cheaper to retain customers than attract new ones.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by stallion114
Part of me, the selfish bit, agrees with you. By the end of March I'll be 29 nights for 2020 thanks to an unexpectedly productive January and 14 qualifying nights in enforced solitary quarantine in Hong Kong right now. This, coupled with the fact I'll have taken *no* annual leave in the first half of 2020 means that getting the remaining 21 nights in whatever we have left of 2020 will be straightforward. And despite 5 years of Titanium I will aim only for the 50 nights to get the qualifying lifetime year because next year is the big one and I get my 10th qualifying year for Lifetime Platinum status so I don't want to put that at risk.

But, I also know that there will be no point opening lounges in my favourite hotels across Asia in 2021 if nobody qualifies this year so they will have to do something. Maybe they're taking this year as their unexpected opportunity to "thin the herd" as you say and we have yet to see by how much. Already gone are the ones expecting a soft landing. Let's not discuss that here as it's apparently quite upsetting for some people. But this may have just been the second step in a controlled thinning. The first step was the removal earlier this year of the 10 qualifying nights for a bogus meeting. My personal recommendation for the next step would be to remove the 15 nights from credit cards which are only available to members in a handful of countries. They should whack up the bonus points for spend on these credit cards instead.

Something will be done to get elite membership to meaningful and manageable levels after 2020 but quite what is anyone's guess at this moment.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by ftrichard
My personal recommendation for the next step would be to remove the 15 nights from credit cards which are only available to members in a handful of countries. They should whack up the bonus points for spend on these credit cards instead.
Here in the UK they are going in the opposite direction the MB Amex is being launched (replacing the old SPG Amex) with 15 annual nights and less points earning than on the legacy card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.