Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:48 am
jxd

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Well, there's actually the very simple reason that if they extend status for everybody, then nobody will feel any particular need to stay at Marriott for the rest of 2020.

The question is whether the revenue they might get during the rest of 2020 is more important than the risk of annoying elite members and chasing them away to chains showing more generosity. Which is why they are all waiting to see what the other major chains do.
They extended the status for all members in China. It would be fair if everyone else gets the extension too. Let's face it, travel will be at a near standstill in 2020.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Whatever is done, I hope Marriott doesn’t dilute the Ambassador Elite tier with members who didn’t meet the standard qualifications. For example, if someone was Silver and met some form of 2020 COVID promo qualification (eg stay X nights to reach Y tier), AE should be excluded.
I agree, but think it should be all levels. I don't think status extensions should be to upgraded levels at all. I was still on pace to get back to Titanium but will lose at least 15-20 nights based solely on travel before July. It would be nice to remain Titanium but have no wish to jump up a level without meeting the qualifications because I know the same thing would water down Titanium and Platinum levels. Earning status is one reason I avoid Hilton with their top tier being as easy as a premier credit card without any high spend requirement on the card.
JBord likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
The airlines, hotels, travel agencies - the ENTIRE travel industry are in a fight for their lives. And you're concerned about maintaining an utterly inconsequential status.

Perspective, people, perspective. Oh, and a lot less selfishness!
360guy likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
The airlines, hotels, travel agencies - the ENTIRE travel industry are in a fight for their lives. And you're concerned about maintaining an utterly inconsequential status.

Perspective, people, perspective. Oh, and a lot less selfishness!
Clearly it's not an important discussion. Almost nothing on this site ever is. There are plenty of other sites devoted to the current situation and likely some other threads on FT. Sometimes we need distractions, they help us maintain sanity in trying times. That's the perspective.

And it's ok if you don't want to discuss these topics, participation in FT is optional! And they don't make the concerns you raised any less important.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Should gratuitous status extension years count toward lifetime status qualification?

I believe lifetime membership is based on years "earned".

​​​
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If anything good comes out of this, perhaps some people will lose the "me" mentality.
anything is possible but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Select
Marriott may not exist in 2021, at least not in its current form. Hope you aren't long points.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBord

[Snip]

Hmmm...I can't figure out how I feel about this statement. Logically, I completely agree. But emotionally, I'm wondering why these people are out staying at hotels when most businesses have suspended travel and we are told to "stay at home". No question there are always people who need a hotel, especially those whose jobs require them to travel in order to keep us safe during this time. Yet, I kind of feel like it's a grocery store rewarding someone for hoarding 200 rolls of toilet paper.
Why are you assuming these people are still out there staying in Hotels? I am at 38 nights this year before the lastest round of restrictions, have 4 nights booked and canceled 4 bookings through April 1st. Unless this extends to the end of the year, I anticipate I will still requalify for Titanium.

James
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Tatoosh
Earning status is one reason I avoid Hilton with their top tier being as easy as a premier credit card without any high spend requirement on the card.
Yet as someone that has stayed enough nights with Hilton to get Diamond & Marriott to get Platinum, I can categorically say that in my experience Hilton treat their loyalty members far far better.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A soft landing dropping one level seems fair.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Hmmm...I can't figure out how I feel about this statement. Logically, I completely agree. But emotionally, I'm wondering why these people are out staying at hotels when most businesses have suspended travel and we are told to "stay at home". No question there are always people who need a hotel, especially those whose jobs require them to travel in order to keep us safe during this time. Yet, I kind of feel like it's a grocery store rewarding someone for hoarding 200 rolls of toilet paper.
What about folks who have to be on-site, not every industry is completely shut down yet. And if the decision is to get on a plane and go somewhere vs sit at home and be unemployed - I'm not judging anyone.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:51 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I know it's not an important issue in the grand scheme of things, but jumping in because I'm bored (and somehow still tired!) at home.

I think it makes most sense to extend everyone's current status by a year. I'm sure that getting back to "normal" will probably vary a lot based on geography, and based on what companies people work for, so an across the board extension seems the most fair. (Depending on how things shake out, maybe later in the year they can announce a set of pro-rated requirements for people wanting to increase their status level for next year).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
The airlines, hotels, travel agencies - the ENTIRE travel industry are in a fight for their lives. And you're concerned about maintaining an utterly inconsequential status.!
I completely disagree. This is VERY relevant to the current situation. You better believe the the execs of airlines, hotels (minus the Marriott execs who seem to be eternally brain-dead), and even retail industries are already starting to have the discussions of "How do we get people to use our services once this blows over?"

If authorities were to suddenly declare tomorrow that it's all clear, no new cases, and the virus was completely eradicated, the public isn't going to just immediately start traveling again. People are going to worry about potential future outbreaks/resurgences. These sudden travel restrictions enacted by governments with no warning are going to stick in the back of people's minds for some time. Lowering prices alone isn't going to put the public's butts in seats and beds. I'm seeing NYC hotels for $60/nt right now. I know what it costs to run a hotel in Florida, but with NYC's onerous taxes/regulations I can't imagine hoteliers are able to make any money on rates like that. If anything they're just trying to slow down the bleeding.

All of the crap the airlines and hotels have pulled over the past decade with extra fees, non-refundable rates, extended cancellation windows, will have to be dialed back. Why would anyone book a hotel room with a 5-day cancellation period when governments were only giving single days' notice of closing the border?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

If status is extended for everyone, that does NOT mean additional SNA's or similar benefits. The people who are actually staying would still earn those. Maybe there's another way to reward them without penalizing everyone else for contributing to the world's overall well-being.
(1) I've been considering a "minimal contact" mattress run (some of my local hotels have punched through $70/night for a week-long stay, including one within my normal travel range, so going through the ritual of checking in wouldn't be utterly insane at this stage). Far less of a chance of picking up or passing along something than with a mileage run. I'm trying to figure out how much of that I could manage while still observing social distancing protocols.

(2) Most businesses have canned travel. Some have not. There are categories of "essential" travel. I've got one friend whose company is nominally on WFH, but they have to go into the office for some of their work because air-gapped systems are involved, and they're still stuck doing a few client meetings here and there as well. Let's face it, when security clearances get involved everything gets wacky and "essential" travel does still crop up. Also, while weddings and the like may be called off, funerals and illnesses and the like aren't always so kind as to phone in advance.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
What about folks who have to be on-site, not every industry is completely shut down yet. And if the decision is to get on a plane and go somewhere vs sit at home and be unemployed - I'm not judging anyone.
Agreed, and I noted that as an exception in my post. I just struggle with some type of "special" blanket recognition for people who are staying at hotels during this time as your original post suggested. I suppose if the recognition is only announced after this is behind us, at least it wouldn't be incentive for bad behavior. Like I wrote, I just can't figure out how to feel about it.

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
(1) I've been considering a "minimal contact" mattress run (some of my local hotels have punched through $70/night for a week-long stay, including one within my normal travel range, so going through the ritual of checking in wouldn't be utterly insane at this stage). Far less of a chance of picking up or passing along something than with a mileage run. I'm trying to figure out how much of that I could manage while still observing social distancing protocols.
And this is an example of why I'm conflicted. I'm not suggesting you are doing anything wrong as you consider your plan, but we know there are people out there ignoring all the warnings and guidance. And there's some subset, however small, of incredibly selfish people who are seeing low airfare and hotel rates and are booking vacations. And another subset (with some crossover) of people who are doing it to maintain their statuses. I don't want to see those people rewarded for their behavior. I would hope Marriott, and others, would come out in a few weeks when we have a better idea of how long this is likely to last and announce that status earning requirements are waived. Everyone keeps their status and people who didn't have it but earned it will keep it, which includes those essential workers mentioned here. SNA's, LT years, and other things only if you actually earned the nights.

It's not perfect and someone may have a better idea, but I think it's fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.