Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Fake "let me give you some points for that" Routine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum

Has anyone else experienced the same thing as I have with front desk agents who are trying to pretend to provide customer service by offering you bonus Bonvoy points for something that went wrong? They usually tell you they'll give you 1,000 points for the inconvenience and then push a button on their keyboard to make it look like they did something but you never ever receive those points?

It's happened to me twice at 2 different New York City properties where the FD agent's have said that and clicked on their keyboard to make it sound like they were adding them to my account but nothing ever happens. Is this how they are trained? Do they realize or care that it only makes the customer service look worse? Or are they really adding bad notations about me in the file ("don't accept reservations from this nut again!")? Anyone else????
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I had this happen at a hotel in LAX, where they said they would add 5K points to my account due to a customer service issue. They happened to send me a survey, so I blasted them for the issue and the non-issuance of points. They ended up giving me 10K in points after the fact. It is annoying that after having experiencing the customer service issue to begin with, then we are the ones that have to follow through on trying to get said points.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I had a service issue at the Renaissance Santiago Chile. The Manager offered 10K points in compensation. The points had posted to my account before the stay was completed.

James
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:13 am

I request that all promises be confirmed in writing. I don’t let it go until I receive said confirmation.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've only had one time when promised points weren't given, and I'm pretty sure the agent just forgot. In all other instances, they've posted quite promptly.

I don't believe there's any nefarious plot here.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
If anything, probably more a failure of IT or systems than nefarious clerk activity.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
At Marriott, never had a problem (though I have had very little experience with it). At IHG at a Holiday Inn was given a bunch of free breakfast vouchers and promised 2K points for a service issue. 2K points never posted and I didn't bother to follow up (not worth my time). This was a property we stayed at on vacation and were unlikely to return to anyway. So annoying but not worth a lot of effort especially for so few points. YMMV....

--Jon
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:15 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
It has happened to me multiple times at the Residence Inn in Westminster, CO.
I assume it's their MO.
Why do I continue to stay there? It's close to where I have to be and I only stay there when they're the cheapest Marriott in the area.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year on 2 occasions there were customer service issues, the GM of a Cat 8 property gave me the equivalent of a FN while the GM of a Cat 4 property gave me the equivalent of 2 FNs - I have NOT asked for any, nor even known that would be coming. I only saw the "bonus" as the description used by BonVoy, from the properties - in the case of Cat 8 property, I received email notification of the "bonus" from both the property and BonVoy...

I tend to agree it is more like the Marriott IT issues than the FD clerks trying to pull one on the OP.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Yep. Has happened to me quite a few times. And since it's "only" 1,000 points usually I can't be bothered following up, especially when there's no written proof of the bonus.

I chalk this up to the bogus additional points that are offered as part of promos with nightly rates at several hotels. Some are 1,000 a night, some are 2,000 a night. If it's just one night and 1,000 points I can't be bothered. But I have 100% failure with these rates posting the bonus points at all without intervention of some kind.

-RM
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If an FDA offered me 1000 Marriott points as service recovery, I'd tell him/her not to bother. Because $8 worth of Marriott points is not going to come close to making right anything that was worth complaining about.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:09 pm

I had a service recovery offer of points at Marriott Marquis San Francisco checkin... it was deposited into my Bonvoy account within a few hours.

And other service recovery incidences where points were offered after checkout, they were usually credited within the same day.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I request that all promises be confirmed in writing. I don’t let it go until I receive said confirmation.
Only 1,000 points here so under ten bucks. Not worth waiting around for them to write something up. Would need to be a big amount for me to waste my vacation time.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I save up my missing points requests. I highlight them on my spreadsheet then wait until I have 3-4 to make it worth calling in.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Only 1,000 points here so under ten bucks. Not worth waiting around for them to write something up. Would need to be a big amount for me to waste my vacation time.
Usually just a few minutes of discussion in person or on the phone in my experience. That being said I haven't had any issues with such small value - usually we're talking something larger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.