Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Fake "let me give you some points for that" Routine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fake "let me give you some points for that" Routine

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I had 2,000 points in one LAS credit the same day and they comped a night on top of that and the room charge and taxes were off my invoice the next day when I asked for a copy.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manico
I did notice that pre-merger, I used to get the survey's from Marriott on an almost regular basis and that usually helped with getting these points posted (a bad review with a note about the promise usually prompted them to credit my account). But after the merger I haven't received one single survey and I noticed that where in the past Elite member calls always went to the UT service center (will usually that's because it wasn't a toll-free number!) whereas now everything goes to India and I just can't be bothered with spending hours trying to explain the situation to them (they only seem to know one answer and it's not the right one for me).

The reason I'm bringing the issue up is that for me at least, it seems like a training "trick" that they've taught the associates worldwide (I'm still waiting for 1k points from a hotel in London promised by the FDA) but perhaps either they don't follow up or it requires a supervisor's approval to post (shouldn't since it's a low amount). I know for some of the properties that they have to "purchase" the points for higher amounts-----at least that's what the manager of one property told me in a lengthy email exchange when he promised me 10k points but didn't deliver until I kept prodding him. In any case, they (and Marriott corporate, it seems) don't seem to think of it as a customer service issue. Yes, the amount is low and not worth bothering to follow-up on in most cases, but it shows that the customer isn't first and doesn't portray a customer-oriented attitude as Marriott used to be known for. Just my thoughts.....
From talking to FD managers at various properties, I was told that the post stay surveys these days are no longer automatically sent. They are randomly generated, even the properties do not know how those are generated. I for one, would fill out the survey dutifully whether for good or for bad, as that should be a good way for the property management learns about what the property has done right and what has done wrong that some training / improvement is needed. But we no longer have such opportunity because corporate takes that away.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I just had some service recovery points post on Jan 26 even though the transaction date shows as Jan 20, so who knows where they were hiding for 6 days!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by Happy
From talking to FD managers at various properties, I was told that the post stay surveys these days are no longer automatically sent. They are randomly generated, even the properties do not know how those are generated. I for one, would fill out the survey dutifully whether for good or for bad, as that should be a good way for the property management learns about what the property has done right and what has done wrong that some training / improvement is needed. But we no longer have such opportunity because corporate takes that away.
Well, sometimes the random selection factor works out okay. I had a very subpar stay at an Residence Inn recently and low and behold shortly afterward I got a post stay survey. I filled it out pointing out the deficiencies and promptly received a reply from the AGM apologizing for the bad stay and stating he would use it as a teachable moment for the appropriate team. Really should be two teams based on the problems. In any case, I hope they do indeed use my comments to help the staff improve. I didn't ask for nor did I receive compensation. Since some of the issues at this hotel are due to its location and a mediocre renovation in the last two years, I won't be staying there again regardless. E.g. they can't realistically fix some of the problems (at least not at a manageable cost).

--Jon
Old Mar 4, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Digging up this thread because I have a feeling this just happened to me. I just checked out of a typical Courtyard and while the room was good, the shower was gross, with tons of buildup and mold/mildew on the shower head and really dirty tiled walls. I took a shower in the morning today or else I would have asked for a new room last night.

I brought it up to the front desk over chat and they were apologetic and said that they would tell their manager to give me “some” points. I asked how much so I knew what to expect and they said “I believe it will be 3k points”. I later asked if they’ve been applied and they said “I believe my manager will put them in within the next couple of days”. Were they completely BSing me? Does it actually take a manager to do this? And even if it did I have zero faith that it will actually hit my account in a “couple of days”. I’d go to Twitter but I also had a service recovery on my last stay and I’m worried about being flagged as a serial complainer, lol.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by andy_dangg
I later asked if they’ve been applied and they said “I believe my manager will put them in within the next couple of days”. Were they completely BSing me? Does it actually take a manager to do this? And even if it did I have zero faith that it will actually hit my account in a “couple of days”.
At the Ren LAS, recovery points appeared in my Marriott app while standing at the FD. And I didn't even ask for them. A small gesture like that makes guests want to return.

Other properties invariably promise recovery points but they never arrive. Even after calling back. Several times.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 3:29 pm

only certain employees will have access to the system to award points. I would suggest speaking to the fd manager to ensure points are awarded
Old Mar 4, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by andy_dangg
Does it actually take a manager to do this? And even if it did I have zero faith that it will actually hit my account in a “couple of days”. I’d go to Twitter but I also had a service recovery on my last stay and I’m worried about being flagged as a serial complainer, lol.
No, it very much does not take a manager to do this but a lot of desk agents are not trained on how or in particular are not empowered to do it. Another way this falls apart is the desk agent says whatever to get you out of their face but then the manager disagrees with the desk agent's resolution so they do nothing.

It you don't see the points with 48 hours, assume they're going to "forget".
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tanic
At the Ren LAS, recovery points appeared in my Marriott app while standing at the FD. And I didn't even ask for them. A small gesture like that makes guests want to return.

Other properties invariably promise recovery points but they never arrive. Even after calling back. Several times.
At the Renaissance Las Vegas in December 2020 I was assigned a room directly below the lounge. After a late night I was awakened at 04:00 by the loud sound of boxes dropping on the floor and other loud noise that did not abate until breakfast.

I mentioned at check-out that they should only assign this room to very heavy sleepers, explaining what had happened. I was immediately promised 10,000 points.

Which never arrived.

I much preferred the Marriott around the corner.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Update: color me surprised but this morning I got an email saying I got a 10k points bonus! Was not expecting it to work at all not to mention 10k, especially considering the “I think 3k” response from the FD agent
Old Mar 5, 2022, 3:24 pm

If something goes wrong, I expect to be upgrade to next level room
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
If something goes wrong, I expect to be upgrade to next level room
"Dang. On the roof again!"

David
Tanic likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I had to chase up points offered as part of the room rate. They told me to wait but eventually I chased and they posted.
Just 2,000 but why offer what you cannot deliver?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:50 am

Had no hot water at IAD Marriott. Asked for compensation at checkout, early AM. Front desk agent noted it and told me management would handle it. Had my points prior to arriving at IAD.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Markie
I had to chase up points offered as part of the room rate. They told me to wait but eventually I chased and they posted.
Just 2,000 but why offer what you cannot deliver?
I have booked room rates that include additional points for three separate stays over the past six months at three different properties. None of those stays posted the additional points and I had to chase then down after the stay each time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.