Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How to properly put award redemption stay in family member's name (I'm not staying)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to properly put award redemption stay in family member's name (I'm not staying)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:20 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi all -- seeking your advice on probably a simple question:

I'm booking an award stay for family members (same last name) using my points, but they will stay and I will not be there. (4 Points Sheraton, in case it matters)

How should I indicate to the hotel this, and that they can check in? I recall that previously, I've called up to add their names, but it later caused some confusion because they were still expecting me to check in. Is there not some simple way to redeem in someone else's name, or what is the right way to set this up?

Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I just booked and then called the hotel to change the name from Mr. Circusplaza Surname to Mr. xxx Surname, no problems at all.
If there is any other way I am not sure about it
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:48 pm

So, I had always done this in the past. But then certain properties started telling me that they couldn't do this. Some even said it was against policy. I attribute this to uneducated staff.

In all cases except one (a Spring HIll in Salt Lake City), the properties were Courtyards.

I just call customer service now. I haven't had a problem, but, it wouldn't surprise me that some day I might get someone who doesn't know the policy again. In that case I would just hang up and call again.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Just did this yesterday. First I searched for an existing thread and found it.

Book award nights for another person?

Then I realized I needed to call and did.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:19 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by jrich7970
... I just call customer service now. I haven't had a problem, but, it wouldn't surprise me that some day I might get someone who doesn't know the policy again. In that case I would just hang up and call again.
Do you call SPG/Marriott central customer service? Or the actual hotel? For hotels overseas, it's a little annoying if you have to do the 2nd.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:50 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Call Marriott reservations (or the elite line if you are an elite). Tell them you want to make an award reservation for a friend/relative using your points.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Just did this yesterday. First I searched for an existing thread and found it.

Book award nights for another person?

Then I realized I needed to call and did.
Sorry to say, but that thread is from 2012. I'd say even if the OP had found it, there's a good chance that the rules have changed, and in any case, FT frowns upon the bumping of ancient threads. Maybe a good thing to not always give into that "should have done a search" impulse?

The Bonvoy terms include this tidbit about reservations for others:

"3.1.c. Awards are valid only for use by the individual designated on the Award and are not transferable, although, if requested at the time of issuance, an Award may be issued to a third party. Third party transfers or transfers to non-Members are limited to twenty (20) Awards in a calendar year on a single Membership Account. In the event an Award is given to a third party in accordance with the prior sentence, neither the Member nor the third party will earn any Points/Miles, Elite Night Credit, Qualifying Nights, or Qualifying Stays in connection with such Award. At check-in, the guest using the Award may be required to show valid identification and provide a credit card to the Participating Property for incidental charges."

I've tried called four times in the past two months to make an award booking for family members under this rule, but have failed. None of the agents I spoke to had any idea how to do this. So the awards were issued for me, and my family member was added as second guest.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Do you call SPG/Marriott central customer service? Or the actual hotel? For hotels overseas, it's a little annoying if you have to do the 2nd.
Actual hotel, then when that started failing, I called the SPG/Marriott customer service line. Well, the Titanium line.

So, yeah, calling a hotel overseas (whether overseas is Asia, Europe, the Americas, whatever) is more problematic.

One time, though, I was able to *email* a hotel in Paris to ensure that my daughter would be taken care of, same with another daughter in Amsterdam. Not sure how I got those email addresses.

But, give customer service a call first.

And, also, as in the previous message, I have had to add someone as an additional guest sometimes.

What drives me nuts about this is, there is no consistency.

Last edited by jrich7970; Sep 6, 2019 at 8:09 pm Reason: Additional comment about second guest
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by TA

I do this all the time. Just book the reservation and call to let them check in. Now I know people have posted on here that they are a lot stricter oversees about this than in the USA. Other people may chime in about that if they had issues overseas doing this!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
I've tried called four times in the past two months to make an award booking for family members under this rule, but have failed. None of the agents I spoke to had any idea how to do this.
I have to admit I don't think I've ordered an award for a family member since the merger, but I have done it a number of times before with no problems.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:27 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I have to admit I don't think I've ordered an award for a family member since the merger, but I have done it a number of times before with no problems.
And they issue the award in the other person’s name? What do you tell them? I’ve even quoted the section of the T&Cs, and still, they insist that it can’t be done & issue the award for me and add a second guest. It doesn’t really make a difference to me, but I’d love to know what the magic words are to get this done.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:08 am

Not sure I had any "secret phrases" or anything. I'd just call the (Plat line at the time). I would state I wanted to make an award reservation for a family member with my points. I'd give them my family member's name and they would make the reservation. Now in hindsight, I don't know that I every really scrutinized those reservations to see what/how it was created (i.e. both award and reservation in their name, in my name with them added as a 2nd name on the reservation, etc.) And I don't remember ever having to call the hotel directly either. I just called the main elite reservation line. They took my points and made the reservation.

Now way back in the distance stone ages when Marriott had paper certs that they would send you (and you would then have to take with you to the hotel), I'd have to order the certs in my family member's name, Marriott would snail mail the certs to me and I would have to mail the certs to my family member. That was a bit of a pain back then. But once they switched to e-certs, the process, for me at least, became more streamlined and easier. But it is possible after the "great merge" either their IT systems are problematic or they have changed the system/process, but missed updating the T&Cs. In some things, Marriott has tried to adopt the SPG rules and processes and I couldn't tell you how easy or hard it was in SPG to order an award for someone else. I'm guessing that Marriott probably has quite a few "new" reservation agents that may or may not have been fully trained on their systems. So that could be an issue as well. (But I'm really just guessing a lot here.)

And while I know this isn't the same as what the OP is asking about, just for clarification, I'm not talking about using a CC free-night cert or similar (as those are basically already ordered awards in the CC holder's name.)
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Not sure I had any "secret phrases" or anything. I'd just call the (Plat line at the time). I would state I wanted to make an award reservation for a family member with my points. I'd give them my family member's name and they would make the reservation. Now in hindsight, I don't know that I every really scrutinized those reservations to see what/how it was created (i.e. both award and reservation in their

And while I know this isn't the same as what the OP is asking about, just for clarification, I'm not talking about using a CC free-night cert or similar (as those are basically already ordered awards in the CC holder's name.)
I have used the free CC nights for family members as well. I didn't specifically *ask* for that, but the Marriott software just picked those certs first.

The only thing that is consistent is the inconsistency.

Oh, also...almost every time I have a family member use my points, I also end up getting the gift too. I never force that issue, but if they're going to give it to me, I'll take it.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I call the reservation line at the time of booking, and then re-confirm with the hotel when chat feature opens (usually two days before arrival when OLCI opens).
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Just looked at a current reservation I made for a family member. Reservation info lists guest as Segments (first name only) - family member first name surname. Like the agent hyphenated our first names. Not sure I’ve seen that approach before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.