Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador vs Titanium

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Bolding mine. I'm sorry to say, but this is what we call entitlement.
Really? Spending 75 nights and expecting them to not give you literally the worst room in the hotel is entitlement,
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Really? Spending 75 nights and expecting them to not give you literally the worst room in the hotel is entitlement,
I don't think its entitlement. I think someone with Titanium or Ambassador expects a nice upgrade, if available. I've had FD Managers tell me that when occupancy levels are really high, upgrades can be tough because they have to make sure everything without status at least got the room type they booked, and there can be much less wiggle room for upgrades (less when there are lots of premium room type guests, more when there's a large in-house group that just booked a bunch of standard rooms and will take whatever the FD gives them at check in).

I appreciate the honesty and move on; its rare I feel these days that any hotel is "holding back."
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
My sense is that Ambassadors get better upgrades. As Titanium, I'm getting fewer really great upgrades than I did as a Plat.
Not sure how you worked this out...since I hit Titanium I've had suites at my last 3 stays. Plat I never had a suite upgrade.

I won't hit Ambassador but my buddy has been one for almost 2 years now and he is 99% upgraded to suites. He is like those on here that moan it doesn't have good benefits but he ALWAYS gets suites. That's a pretty good benefit imo.
C17PSGR, andrewstahl and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Agree 100%. I had a similar stay at Renaissance Barcelona last year. No upgrade whatsoever and a wall in front of my window in an amazing city like Barcelona! I sent an email to the Guest Relations Mgr who had contacted me before arrival.
Hello XXXX. I have checked into my room and to say I am disappointed would be an understatement. No upgrade whatsoever, and a view of a wall. I understand that the hotel is sold out but surely not everyone has Platinum Premier + Ambassador status. Plus I’m only here for one night.
I don’t know what to say. Are there worse rooms at the hotel than what I was assigned?
When I returned from dinner, the Front Office Mgr contacted me and apologized profusely. He said they would use this as a training experience for the front desk staff. Then he offered to move me to a room with a street view. It was already 7:30 pm by that time, so I declined the move. He offered me 15K pts as a goodwill gesture. Nice recovery.

Just because there are no suites available, doesn't mean that your top tier members need to get the worst room in the house. Call me entitled if you wish.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:48 am

You got the room you booked, yes? And you want them to give the "worst" room to someone who booked a better room? What are we missing here?
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think there are 2 differing points/issues being commented on. The difference stems from the following comment "Now in each case hotel was sold out but I don’t really see that as an excuse to not provide any kind of upgrade."

That can be interpreted as an expectation that a high level elite should expect an upgrade even if that requires the hotel to downgrade someone else who made and received a reservation for a higher level of room. But I'm guessing the OP didn't really mean for it to be interpreted that way. What I think was really meant was that within a level of rooms, there are probably some rooms that might be considered "better" than others (i.e. better view, away from noise, etc.) Higher level elites should be able to expect that if no upgrades are available, then they should at least be able to get a more preferred room within the room category they reserved.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
You got the room you booked, yes? And you want them to give the "worst" room to someone who booked a better room? What are we missing here?
Nobody is suggesting that a guest who booked a higher category room should be downgraded to a lower category room, just so that a Titanium Elite member can be upgraded.

At many hotels, the majority of rooms are the same base category (often called "Deluxe," but essentially just standard rooms). Some of those rooms are clearly more desirable than others. Some rooms might have open views from high floors; other rooms might look onto the side of another building; still other rooms might look directly onto mechanical equipment. Views aren't the only factor. There's also noise, convenience, and room size (especially at older hotels and or hotels in adaptive reuse buildings).

Should the Titanium Elite guest be assigned to a more desirable room within that category, even if there are no upgrades possible to a large corner room or suite? I think so.

Assign the least desirable rooms to Priceline "name your own price" customers. Assign ordinary rooms to ordinary customers. And try to take better care of high-tier Elite members.

It seems some hotels put more effort into room assignments than others.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Bolding mine. I'm sorry to say, but this is what we call entitlement.
This is uncalled for and not in the spirit of FT!
supatight80 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The old SPG program gave Golds "enhanced" rooms which meant better rooms (view, size, higher floor, renovated, etc. depending on the property) in the category that was booked. What we're saying here is that such enhanced rooms should always be assigned to higher tier elites when no upgrade is possible.

Even in sold out properties, their usually are guests with reservations for "run of the house" standard unspecified room categories and in many cases such as convention groups, the hotel will sell more such reservations than they have standard rooms, planning to give some higher category rooms to random members of the group or individuals that the group might designate as VIPs within the outside organization (including those convention managers etc. who made the arrangements for the group but aren't members of the group or participants in the meeting).

Other hotels will sell more rooms than they actually have (beyond the expected no show rate) if there are unreserved suites, including specialty suites that might not be available on line, in anticipation of giving some upgrades to those suites. This is similar to the way that some airlines overbook coach more than usual when seats are available in premium cabins and plan to roll some (elite) customers forward.

So it is certainly possible to get a genuine upgrade in a sold out hotel.
Horace and margarita girl like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
IMO, elites get their status because they were loyal to Marriott.
So I believe its normal that Marriott should look after their elites better.
The rest, random people book from 3rd parties website definitely should have lower priority than Bonvoy own elites.

Even if higher category room not available, its not hard to juggling the room assignment for these higher floor / proximity to the lifts preferences to be followed.
To assign a room facing wall and/or didn't follow the preference of the said elites is quite poor form for the hotel.
Those high floors, away/near lifts is indeed not guaranteed but since it was clearly written then hotel should do their best to fulfill those.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:18 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The fact remains that when a hotel is sold out, we cannot expect and are not entitled to anything more than that which we booked.

Elite status doesn't obviate the simple fact of a hotel being sold out. Believing otherwise is the very definition of entitlement: the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

Getting the room category one booked isn't at all inappropriate for anyone, let alone an elite guest in a sold out hotel. Just because we don't love the room or its view doesn't mean that we didn't actually get a better room in that category than we might have otherwise. There is no way for us to know--and the details provided do not indicate otherwise. It's possible that the room assigned was a better room than was booked. It's possible that it wasn't.

We don't have any idea about how the room was booked, how many rooms are in that category, how long the stay duration impacted the room assignment, how many other Titaniums were present paying higher rates who might have higher priority, how many Ambassador elites were present with higher priority, how many Titaniums or Ambassador guests might be repeat guests and therefore have higher priority, etc.

If we are comfortable discussing the possible mistakes a hotel or loyalty program can make, we also should be just as comfortable discussing the possible mistakes a guest can make in assuming things that aren't necessarily true or deserved.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Is there a chance that people are talking at cross purposes here, perhaps slightly in a game of online oneupmanship?

It strikes me that bhrubin is correct that one can't expect an upgrade in a hotel which is sold out (though luckily they're still possible more often than not), but equally what others have been pointing out is that in the inventory of the base category of rooms there are often a handful which stink from the kitchen, are right over the nigthclub and face a wall. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me for hotels to ensure that top level elites avoid those rooms.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It doesn't seem unreasonable to me for hotels to ensure that top level elites avoid those rooms.
Not at all. Until we realize the fairly common scenario that being one of many Titaniums at a hotel doesn't necessarily make one as "top level" as one might presume or prefer. Assuming otherwise is another example of...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Not at all. Until we realize the fairly common scenario that being one of many Titaniums at a hotel doesn't necessarily make one as "top level" as one might presume or prefer. Assuming otherwise is another example of...
it could be the complete opposite....earlier this year i stayed at an airport springhill suites before an early morning flight & the manager told me that i was the first ambassador guest to ever stay there....so one of the many titaniums there would have been at the top before i stayed there....

having said that, i realise the example above is not the norm....but its entirely possible that there would be plats & golds or even non-bonvoy members who could have booked a similar category room that escapefromphl booked....even at a sold out hotel, i wouldn't call it entitlement if escapefromphl expected to get a better room than those with a lower tier who booked the same room type....
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Of course we’re again talking based on the different types of properties we visit. I sometimes enjoy going to tourist hotels where a Gold could be the highest level elite staying in the hotel. At the other side you have the SGS in Bangkok where after 50 nights there and as a relatively high spend Ambassador I’m never going to be in the top 20 guests in the hotel (though they always manage...).

Similarly when I fly BA in Premium Economy I know I usually have a good shot at an upgrade due to my status, except when I’m flying LHR-JFK when I know there’s no chance I’ll even get to meet the CSD/ CSM.

Nonetheless, it is going to be very rare when a hotel is so full of elites that a Titanium guest can’t be treated with any special treatment at all if they just make an effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.