Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador vs Titanium

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Ambassador vs Titanium

Don't see much difference between Ambassador vs Titanium. What benefit you use most as Ambassador, which is not available to Titanium?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:24 pm

I use the Your24 benefit extensively.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
The ambassador service itself
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:22 am

Seeing that the Titanium status is new, I’m thinking the population size who’s had both is very small. In the upcoming months you may have some who’ve been titanium through the beginning of the year who are just now hitting Ambassador.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mattcng
I use the Your24 benefit extensively.
same here....its the best benefit of being ambassador in my opinion....
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My sense is that Ambassadors get better upgrades. As Titanium, I'm getting fewer really great upgrades than I did as a Plat.
mh3265a and andrewstahl like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by Kacee
My sense is that Ambassadors get better upgrades. As Titanium, I'm getting fewer really great upgrades than I did as a Plat.
that’s weird? So a higher tier gives you worse then the lower one?!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itisme
that’s weird? So a higher tier gives you worse then the lower one?!
No. Previously we were all Plats for upgrade purposes.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
IMO the single best benefit is someone you can ping directly to deal with various Marriott issues, vs. trying to get help from customer service
CCIE_Flyer and Ryno1234 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
So much depends on the specific Ambassador you get. This year, I have been less than satisfied with the support and frankly, effort, from my Ambassador. At least the “Your 24” is a specific benefit. I find the hotel welcome staff understand and recognize the Ambassador status level. I agree with the other poster who said it may be too soon to quantify the differences between a Titanium vs. Ambassador for recognition and for things like upgrades.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:24 am

Is there a way to see qualifying spend in my Marriott acct? I think I may hit 100 nights, but am unsure on the 20k.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Individual experiences on this seem to vary greatly. In my experience as an AE, I’m rarely (read: almost never) upgraded or given any type of special treatment in US properties (where I spend 80% of my nights), but tend to be treated like royalty in Europe and Asia.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Is there a way to see qualifying spend in my Marriott acct? I think I may hit 100 nights, but am unsure on the 20k.
Nights and dollars (qualifying spend) show up on the app
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:38 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Too many people are thinking about Ambassador as only being about having the actual Ambassador to help you out. That was particularly important with SPG and in the pre Feb 2019 launch of Bonvoy, since Ambassador guests weren't considered a higher actual status tier.

That changed on Feb 13, 2019, with the introduction of Bonvoy. As of that date, Ambassador was not only a person to assist us but an actual higher status tier.

Once all the Bonvoy portfolio properties had their systems updated, they all now can see our Ambassador status well before we arrive. With SPG, properties had no idea about us being so "elite" and our Ambassadors had to contact properties on our behalf in order for us to get the better benefits and better elite treatment.

Not any longer. Now we no longer need to rely on our Ambassadors to contact properties on our behalf. All properties know our Ambassasor status as soon as we book; that allows them to pre-upgrade us and prepare for us in ways that weren't possible or as likely before.

That's why I already am pre-upgraded to a Macassar Suite at the Prince de Galles Paris...for our stay in October. On an award stay. My Ambassador didn't have to do anything. The hotel just saw that I am Ambassador status and a returning guest--and upgraded me.

That's why I was pre-upgraded to suites at the RC Coconut Grove, RC Georgetown, StR Bahia Beach, RC Boston, StR San Francisco, RC Bacara Santa Barbara, RC Half Moon Bay, LM Cambridge, LM Arlington, LM Philly, Sheraton Philly Univ City, FP NYC Chelsea, FP NYC Midtown, CY New Haven, Sheraton Hartford South, Ren Providence, Sheraton Boston, etc. All since Feb 13.

Ambassador status matters now. A lot.

In addition, we all have our Ambassadors to help us whenever we need them. And they've been getting a lot better for a lot of Ambassador elites as the service has reassigned better people to the program and moved less impressive people to other duties.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Upgrades have anecdotally improved, although for me given pretty good upgrades in the past it's hard to tell whether it's just an impression or not. Service has massively decreased since the merger for me and has not picked up, so at this stage I am tentatively planning on deliberately choosing other hotels for the remainder of 2019 to pick up some other points and to move down to Titanium for 2020. I'll need to make a final decision in the next month or so, but my Marriott spend is down $20K YTD.

Marriott retains the best programme on paper, but suffers too high a proportion of service failures and them not bothering to follow through on service recovery is a real annoyance as a frequent traveller. My life is relatively complex from an administrative perspective as it is, and I can do without choosing a hotel provider which I know will cause me hours of follow-up on a high proportion of stays. I'll continue to visit Marriott hotels where they are the best in the city or where I particularly like them (and for many I hope to retain good upgrades as a long-time frequent visitor), but I tentatively plan to prioritise my stays to either Hyatt or the programme where I'm lowest on points to give me flexibility.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Aug 15, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.