Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Update (Starwood/Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Retires)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Update (Starwood/Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Retires)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
Also, I do not think this thread makes more sense any longer. The original "Lurker" has un-retired and joined a new organization (if this is true). This thread is not relevant any more.
This thread remains quite relevant.

Having acquired Starwood, Marriott's Bonvoy program will continued to be compared to SPG. Starwood's SPG set many standards for which Bonvoy will be judged.

Similarly, William was an exceptional online presence for Starwood, as the original (Starwood) Lurker on Flyertalk. In several ways, William set the standard for what many SPG loyalists expect from a loyalty program's online communication and service. Marriott Bonvoy's online presence and service, especially on Flyertalk, will continue to be compared to the standard which William set.

William is still a part of the Flyertalk community, until he tells us otherwise. There is no need to quash a thread about William.

Perhaps other Bonvoy Lurkers would like to comment, but they have been relatively silent. It would be nice if they could post an updated roster of Bonvoy Lurkers. Lauren from Hilton, had better communication about a handoff after William joined that organization.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by conde
This thread remains quite relevant.

Having acquired Starwood, Marriott's Bonvoy program will continued to be compared to SPG. Starwood's SPG set many standards for which Bonvoy will be judged.

Similarly, William was an exceptional online presence for Starwood, as the original (Starwood) Lurker on Flyertalk. In several ways, William set the standard for what many SPG loyalists expect from a loyalty program's online communication and service. Marriott Bonvoy's online presence and service, especially on Flyertalk, will continue to be compared to the standard which William set.

William is still a part of the Flyertalk community, until he tells us otherwise. There is no need to quash a thread about William.

Perhaps other Bonvoy Lurkers would like to comment, but they have been relatively silent. It would be nice if they could post an updated roster of Bonvoy Lurkers. Lauren from Hilton, had better communication about a handoff after William joined that organization.
I agree with you except that William was not the first Starwood Lurker.

It would be helpful to have a list of the current Starriott/Bonvoy Lurker team, including locations and the username of the account(s) that each is using. IIRC some of them seem to share an account on FT, so it's rather confusing, although AFAIK only William was using the "original" Lurker account until the retirement announcement appeared.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:10 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by conde

We all need to remember that the old SPG die-hards are only a small part of the combined Marriott community. Most of us care less about SPG and we do not compare the two, or three if you have RC included. I remember all the mourning about one year ago, but to what benefits? No one can change history, even William is part of Marriott history now.

Also FT is only a tiny part of Marriott Bonv*y program. One former employee won't shake Marriott at all....
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I remember all the mourning about one year ago, but to what benefits?
to great benefits actually....last year marriott announced that it was not going to give lifetime titanium status to lifetime spg plats with over 750 nights....we cried foul, made a big deal about it, got a lot of spg lifetime plats together, signed a petition & sent it to marriott....eventually they agreed to change the policy for us....what we did may have made a small difference in their reconsideration....had we not spoken up then we would not have received lifetime titanium status....william used to encourage us to speak up so that our voices could be heard by management....

One former employee won't shake Marriott at all....
no he won't....no one here is saying that he will....for some reason you just keep repeating that he won't....he used to help us all here in this forum & now we don't have that option anymore....there are other lurkers that remain here & we are grateful for that....but if you ask anyone who has had the need to reach out to the lurkers then they will tell you there was a world of a difference between william & all the other lurkers....
Happy, Fizzer, TV guy and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Legacy Marriott customers put up with a website and app that doesn't disclose as much detail as SPG.com did, but they likely didn't know something better existed. Now, the SPG people have been downgraded to Marriott's level of mediocrity and web weakness compared to the experience we were used to. Same for the hotel property level; Marriott actually came in and ripped out the computers at many SPG properties to downgrade them to the MARSHA system. But feel free to keep thinking Marriott is superior because you never knew something better existed.
Amen. Sure probably no "spgers" left the program entirely. But i know quite a number (including myself) who considerably changed their travel habits since this year.

And not just us in the flyertalk community. Arne wouldnt call legacy SPG folks as "rabid" for nothing and if the majority of legacy spg members were for the merge. We were fiercely loyal and for a reason.

But anyways SPG is long gone. But now i know what it feels like to be part of the "Meh"rriott program
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by supatight80
Sure probably no "spgers" left the program entirely. But i know quite a number (including myself) who considerably changed their travel habits since this year.
This is quite the sensible thing to do instead of the blind loyalty. More people should do the same. Nowadays, there are more and more travel free agents. This is why I do not care about Marriott Lurker, or Hilton Lurker. They were paid to do their jobs and they should stay loyal to their employers until the very last day.

But we are not paid by Marriott or Hilton. We are just patrons that can switch loyalty rather quickly to our likings.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:24 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Goodbye William! I was so happy you stayed on through the transition. It has been a much smoother ride knowing you were still around.

Good luck on whatever is next for you!
bsdstone, damon88, Keyser and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
One of the many reasons I loved and stuck with Starwood for years was William's work, both with me and other members of this community. I've mostly avoided Hilton over the past couple of years, focusing my stays with Hyatt, but if Hilton continues to make these sorts of smart decisions and let William do what he does best, I'm inclined to start moving nights over to HH.
360guy, dantandaman and Star_Guy like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Marriott is trash! I’m glad I left them back in Aug 2018, welcome William to the winning team
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:17 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
It looks like David Marr also left for Hilton. From what I understand, many ex-SPG did similar lateral moves. I’ve begun the process of giving more of my business to Hilton.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by uxb
It looks like David Marr also left for Hilton.
I don't know him so looked him up. He made his move in 2017.

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/appoi.../79013725.html
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
I am missing William!!!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
I am missing William!!!
We all are.
Forstbetrieb likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Those days of SPG customer service seem very far away.
Forstbetrieb and Bravada04 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:19 pm

hmm. Maybe it is time to take a serious look at Hilton? Service and the most simple aspect of loyalty recognition 101 has totally disappeared here at MAR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.