Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Update (Starwood/Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Retires)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Update (Starwood/Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Retires)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:48 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Retirement-shmirement
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:44 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Keyser
no one is treating it like a marriage....there were some aspects of the spg program that were great & there are aspects of the marriott program that are great....both also had/have their share of problems....its human nature to crib & cry so some people will do that....some for a shorter time & others for a longer time....if it bothers you then just ignore it....eventually it will stop....

the marriott community doesn't care because they never got to experience what an asset he was....the spg community knew that & benefited a great deal from him being here....you people don't know what you lost because you never had that thing to begin with....
You are perfectly correct that we the Marriott (at least me) does not care about the "Lurker". It is just like the SPG that is RIP. Rise up and move on.....

Everyone and everything is expendable, the "Lurker", me, you and all the others. No need to shed tears for SPG, the "Lurker" and more. All gone and is only part of the history.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RedSun
You are perfectly correct that we the Marriott (at least me) does not care about the "Lurker". It is just like the SPG that is RIP. Rise up and move on.....
when one is used to mediocrity they will never miss something that was excellent since they never got a taste of it....

we have moved on, but that doesn't mean me don't miss the good old spg days....

Everyone and everything is expendable, the "Lurker", me, you and all the others. No need to shed tears for SPG, the "Lurker" and more. All gone and is only part of the history.
we learn so much from our history....a tear will always be shed for spg, the lurkers & more....but like i said before, people used to mediocrity will never know what a good thing they are missing....
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keyser
when one is used to mediocrity they will never miss something that was excellent since they never got a taste of it....

we have moved on, but that doesn't mean me don't miss the good old spg days....

we learn so much from our history....a tear will always be shed for spg, the lurkers & more....but like i said before, people used to mediocrity will never know what a good thing they are missing....
I do not think any of the SPGers have moved on here. The "Lurker" is gone. Why still linger at this Marriott forum? Better to post at Hilton forum.

I do not want to argue about the excellency vs mediocrity. Both are in the same family and the weak one has been taken over by the stronger survivor. Now we know who is winner and who is loser. SPG is gone for good now. Whatever much tear people can shed will be dry soon....
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ever since the merger was first discussed, I've been holding my breath regarding whether Starriott/Bonvoy would eliminate or change the Lurker program in some way. To me, it's appeared that Lurker powers to resolve problems were taken away and perhaps individual expressions of personality or differences of opinion were discouraged (or worse). It's a different corporate culture, although in some ways it can be better for the individuals involved if there's a sudden change (like the merger) versus a slow evolution of the corporate culture in distasteful ways in that it can become more clear more quickly that one should attempt to leave for a position elsewhere.

Given the timing, I wonder whether either William made a commitment to stay for a year after the merger or whether he set that as a goal for himself, to try the new water before making any decisions. I could imagine him coming to work to give the customary notice and being told to leave, with the Lurker account immediately changing to a new password so that he couldn't write his own farewell notice message to us. This would be expected if part of the notice was the intention to work for a competitor in a similar position, although I find it a bit surprising that there apparently wasn't a noncompete clause as some loyalty program staff seem to have.

BTW, in the other thread I wrote a post mentioning (and of course praising) William's commitment to FT above and beyond the Lurker job, especially in terms of his organizing an Austin BBQ DO (including hosting SPG Plats for breakfast at the Austin call center, where our special tour including a peek at William's workplace) and his service on Talk Board.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I do not think any of the SPGers have moved on here. The "Lurker" is gone. Why still linger at this Marriott forum? Better to post at Hilton forum.

I do not want to argue about the excellency vs mediocrity. Both are in the same family and the weak one has been taken over by the stronger survivor. Now we know who is winner and who is loser. SPG is gone for good now. Whatever much tear people can shed will be dry soon....
what a mediocre response....but then again, it can be expected....
TV guy likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Sure whatever you think. I'm tired of hearing all the cries and tears shed for the dead SPG.... Can we all move on form the dead?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Also, I do not think this thread makes more sense any longer. The original "Lurker" has un-retired and joined a new organization (if this is true). This thread is not relevant any more.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the reason marriott is the winner is because it has incorporated all the best parts of the spg program....did you even stop to wonder why that is????the answer is that spg was the better program....the weak has not been taken over by the stronger, but rather the better has been taken over by the bigger one....

Sure whatever you think. I'm tired of hearing all the cries and tears shed for the dead SPG.... Can we all move on form the dead?
its not what i think, its what i know....if you are tired of hearing the cries then you have the option of ignoring the posts....but you can't seem to do that as well....i wonder why that is????maybe there is a need to defend a program that was mediocre at best before it incorporated all the good parts of the program it has taken over....
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

Legacy Marriott customers put up with a website and app that doesn't disclose as much detail as SPG.com did, but they likely didn't know something better existed. Now, the SPG people have been downgraded to Marriott's level of mediocrity and web weakness compared to the experience we were used to. Same for the hotel property level; Marriott actually came in and ripped out the computers at many SPG properties to downgrade them to the MARSHA system. But feel free to keep thinking Marriott is superior because you never knew something better existed.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:10 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Reopening this thread after having to removed a number of off-topic and confrontational posts.

Please keep future posts on-topic and not about other posters. Otherwise, we will have to take sterner steps that none of us want.

Thank you.

Marriott Bonvoy Moderator team
cmh flyer likes this.

Last edited by hhoope01; Aug 23, 2019 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Well then, let me say THANK YOU to William for all he has done for all of us. Best wishes!
Keyser likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
I have no background with William, but after reading this thread it appears to me like this is a good thing for those of us that stay 60 - 100 nights a year in HH properties.
Keyser likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Wow. Just today I was coincidentally thinking I might switch to Hilton and I read this. Thank you William for your help back at SPG over the years. I did not have to email you often (mostly things with SPG just worked) but when I did all problems disappeared!
I wonder whether the first action at Hilton will be to try and bring back Diamond status match for longstanding SPG/Marriott Plats? I wonder how many would jump ship and follow him. Knowing William is there would certainly make it much more likely for me.
dantandaman likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
I have no background with William, but after reading this thread it appears to me like this is a good thing for those of us that stay 60 - 100 nights a year in HH properties.
.....and a very bad thing for those of us who might want to continue staying with Marriott/Bonvoy. I've been in mourning since William's retirement from Starriott was announced here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.