Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by seat38a
But no one is forcing you to stay at that specific hotel. If you don't like the fee, why can't you take your dollars somewhere else?
I took my business elsewhere. Between two hotels next to each other I picked one without destination fee. Yet months later they installed the fee and added it to my future bill.
I will find out soon if they budge and I anticipate a fight.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
But no one is forcing you to stay at that specific hotel. If you don't like the fee, why can't you take your dollars somewhere else?
Two issues come to mind here:
(1) If it is a sole hotel doing it, then you can avoid the issue. If you're in a situation like is the case around Disney World (for example) or I've heard is the case in Manhattan, you're dealing with a minefield of hotels and comparison shopping is really problematic (especially if I'm trying to remember which Courtyard or Sheraton has the fees and which one doesn't). If "everyone is doing it" to different degrees, it can render topline price comparisons meaningless.[1]
(2) There's also the "blundering into it" issue (having to keep one's eyes peeled for the surprise addition of a charge at the last minute).

The combination is, at best, a PITA.

To be clear, I think most of us don't have a problem paying a higher topline rate if the hotel fits our needs better. It is when the topline rate is misleading that we've got an issue.

[1] And of course, in the context of comparing this with taxes, taxes will tend to be either fixed in amount or fixed in proportion from hotel to hotel within a jurisdiction. So if a Courtyard, Renaissance, and Sheraton all show a given room rate in a district (and there's a Hilton and Crowne Plaza showing the same), the taxes will presumably be close to identical (or at least, within a dollar or two in the event there's a tax district).
Horace, IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by dsauch
I took my business elsewhere. Between two hotels next to each other I picked one without destination fee. Yet months later they installed the fee and added it to my future bill.
I will find out soon if they budge and I anticipate a fight.
Don't you have your original confirmation email? If it does not show up on it, then the hotel is SOL and I would fiercely argue during checkin if they tried to charge you. In this case, it is a total bait and switch if they tried.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I have no, absolutely no objection to Resort/destination/location/facility fees. Like parking fees if I want to use them I pay extra. It’s the mandatory bit that’s the problem. I don’t get charged car parking if I don’t bring a car, likewise I don’t expect to be charged for cleaning laundry, cooking s’mores around the camp fire, or taking ukulele lessons on a Tuesday if I don’t actually do those things.

I have sometimes chosen to book a rate that has a $50 daily credit for use in the hotel but that’s because I expect to be there a lot, I don’t expect to be forced to buy a credit for a bar bill I don’t want to run up. It’s the mandatory bit that makes these fees a total bait-and-switch drip-pricing-con that obscures and distorts competition.

And it’s a terrible indictment of the current boardroom that from late adopter Marriott has now become a leader in mandatory fee introduction. Arnes stomach churning duplicitous and spurious defence of this practice demeans the good Marriott name that father and son built up over 80 years of fair and open business practices.

“Mandatory shifty con-artist unwanted fake fee innovator” - what an awful title the Marriott name now carries!
moondog, Tanic, Horace and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Whats the difference between that and finding out what your sales tax is at the register at Nordstroms or whatever? When you look at the menu at a restaurant, does it have the tax and tip included price? Unless the laws are changed and or the courts say otherwise, its not illegal! Airlines did the exact same thing until the law was changed, but before that it wasn't illegal for them.
Because a 200 USD hotel shows up as more expensive when searching than the 180 USD hotel with a 30 USD fee and the 190 USD hotel with the 15 USD fee. And one has to click into each one, do the math and then comparison shop. Taxes are flat for a location, so , while it is positively idiotic that the US cannot do all inclusive pricing like the rest of the world, it is consistent across all hotels.

"its not illegal" is a not so nice way to do business. Especially for a company that extols the "golden rule" in their ads.
moondog, Tanic, Horace and 4 others like this.

Last edited by hhoope01; Aug 13, 2019 at 5:02 am Reason: Per FT Rule 16, removed potentially offensive language.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The Nordstrom's example is beyond stupid - it's not like mens shoes have a different tax rate than women's jeans, or that level 1 has 0% tax but level 2 has a 3% tax and level 3 has a "destination fee" equal to your age. SMH.
moondog, IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Because a 200 USD hotel shows up as more expensive when searching than the 180 USD hotel with a 30 USD fee and the 190 USD hotel with the 15 USD fee. And one has to click into each one, do the math and then comparison shop. Taxes are flat for a location, so , while it is positively idiotic that the US cannot do all inclusive pricing like the rest of the world, it is consistent across all hotels.

"its not illegal" is a ...... way to do business. Especially for a company that extols the "golden rule" in their ads.
First of all, the Golden Rule is nothing more than a make people feel good advert. How many airlines do you know advertise their economy minus cabin or how really unpleasant flying is??

Come Fly The Friendly Skies.
We Love To Fly And It Shows.
Something Special In The Air.

All makes you feel good but it's never been a reality.

Secondly, the advert is targeting Courtyard, Fairfield, Four Points and Springhill Suites as it shows on each of the ads. How many of them do you know actually charge a destination or resort fee? If anyone has ever seen one of the 4 charge a resort or destination fee, I seriously want to know since personally, I think thats pushing it.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The Nordstrom's example is beyond stupid - it's not like mens shoes have a different tax rate than women's jeans, or that level 1 has 0% tax but level 2 has a 3% tax and level 3 has a "destination fee" equal to your age. SMH.
What are you not getting?? Did you read the full thread?? Antarius wants the math all done nice and pretty and I'm making a point that pretty much its not done anywhere else in the US. So put away your snark for a minute and answer the question: Does Nordstroms or restaurant list the full price on their tags and menus?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Golden Rule is an incredibly powerful value system for companies which actually see it through. It’s definitely one of the current en vogue organising principles in b-schools and Fortune 500.

The issue, rather obviously, is that Marriott is a terrible, terrible example of how to treat your customers really badly. There are no other companies I regularly buy from which will regularly not follow through on what I buy. That’s why I have moved much of my spend away to more trustworthy hotel groups.
Tanic, UA-NYC, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are you not getting?? Did you read the full thread?? Antarius wants the math all done nice and pretty and I'm making a point that pretty much its not done anywhere else in the US. So put away your snark for a minute and answer the question: Does Nordstroms or restaurant list the full price on their tags and menus?
The tax issue was a side note. If I go to Nordstrom and compare 2 pairs of Jeans, the total is the price of the jeans+ a consistent tax amount. So 50 dollar Jeans now cost 55 bucks and 70 dollar jeans cost 77.

50 dollar jeans do not cost 94 dollars due to a surprise surcharge located on the price tag in small font.

The only reason hotels do this is to game the system. No one would needlessly create extra lines of billing and invoicing unless it benefited them. Put the surcharge in the initial fee, let customers make decisions without having to jump through hoops.
moondog, IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Aug 12, 2019 at 5:57 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all, the Golden Rule is nothing more than a make people feel good advert. How many airlines do you know advertise their economy minus cabin or how really unpleasant flying is??

Come Fly The Friendly Skies.
We Love To Fly And It Shows.
Something Special In The Air.

All makes you feel good but it's never been a reality.

Secondly, the advert is targeting Courtyard, Fairfield, Four Points and Springhill Suites as it shows on each of the ads. How many of them do you know actually charge a destination or resort fee? If anyone has ever seen one of the 4 charge a resort or destination fee, I seriously want to know since personally, I think thats pushing it.
CY Isla Verde, San Juan. CY near Waikiki, HI. 2 examples at the top of my head.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:58 pm

CY Isla Verde, San Juan. CY near Waikiki, HI. 2 examples at the top of my head.
courtyard Waikiki has no resort fee (surprisingly) but I get the point. Off the top of my head courtyard Kauai, residence inn Maui, residence inn Miami Beach, just to name a few.... lots actually. Mostly bogus amenities.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:05 pm

So the big bright neon message that says there's a resort or destination fee, just isn't clear enough for you huh? Pretty damn clear to me that there's a fee involved on the rate selection page.
Is it or is it not less clear than including it in the total on the main page?
The tax issue was a side note. If I go to Nordstrom and compare 2 pairs of Jeans, the total is the price of the jeans+ a consistent tax amount. So 50 dollar Jeans now cost 55 bucks and 70 dollar jeans cost 77.

50 dollar jeans do not cost 94 dollars due to a surprise surcharge located on the price tag in small font.
Ok, but this whole conversation started, as you can see above when I stated that the big neon message was clear enough and you rebutted by saying why can't it be on the total. And my point is it is, not required anywhere else in the US with the Nordstrom and restaurant example. Regardless if its moral, ethical, or easier for the mathematically challenged, except for airlines, which is required by law, total pricing isn't required. It's only required at checkout. And further down the conversation, I made the point that its not an unavoidable fee, since you can avoid it by taking your dollars somewhere else.

Last edited by seat38a; Aug 12, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by myperks

courtyard Waikiki has no resort fee (surprisingly) but I get the point. Off the top of my head courtyard Kauai, residence inn Maui, residence inn Miami Beach, just to name a few.... lots actually. Mostly bogus amenities.
I've not run into any of the 4 brands that charge resort/destination fee yet but if I did, I'd definitely take my dollars somewhere else if it bumped up the cost close or equal to the total cost of the more premium brands. In that total cost, I also factor in parking fees. If one is charging $50+ tax and the other isn't, that can also tilt the scale for me regardless of the destination fee.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This thread was started because it's yet more ammo for the state ADs out there as they start to bring cases against the hotel companies. And Marriott is idiotically helping the ADs make their argument with all the obfuscation they put through with these bogus fees.
Some of the pushback you're getting is because your example doesn't prove your thesis.

Your example was a tweet that pointed guests down a multi-step process to find out what the resort fee inclusions are at a particular hotel. As I understand it, the Attorneys General are suing over the lack of disclosure of the cost of the resort fee during booking. What's included in the fee is irrelevant to the lawsuit. Therefore, a tweet about how to find those inclusions is also irrelevant to the case.

Additionally, even if the tweet were about the actual cost, it would be irrelevant because Twitter isn't a component of the actual process of booking a hotel room online. The Attorneys General will only care about the process of booking a hotel room on the website.
seat38a likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.