Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Thank you for your loyalty’ Gift Card Received via e-Mail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Thank you for your loyalty’ Gift Card Received via e-Mail

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I suspect that wouldn’t have helped. The woman at the front desk couldn’t be convinced that her hotel (a franchise) took gift cards at all.

Bruce
She is not well-trained. Luckily her boss is not that ignorant.
Hopefully the Lurker team could make the corporate send a memo out to educate the properties that they have the obligation to accept all Marriott brands gift cards unless they are among the listed exceptions on Marriott site.

https://gifts.marriott.com/faq.html

Q. Where can I use my Marriott GiftCard / eGiftCard?
A. Marriott GiftCards / eGiftCards can be used at any participating Marriott hotel at these brands, including AC Hotels by Marriott®, Aloft®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Courtyard®, Delta Hotels and Resorts®, EDITION®, Element®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Gaylord Hotels®, JW Marriott®, Le Méridien®, Marriott Hotels®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Moxy Hotels ,Renaissance® Hotels, Residence Inn®, Sheraton®, SpringHill Suites®, St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, The Ritz-Carlton, The Ritz-Carlton Reserve® hotels, TownePlace Suites®, Tribute Portfolio™, W®, Westin®The following Marriott Hotel Brands DO NOT accept Marriott GiftCards: Bvlgari, Design Hotels™, Protea Hotels by Marriott®, Marriott Executive Apartments®, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club®, The Ritz-Carlton® Partner hotels

May be we need to print out that page and show it to the uninformed front desk agents next time when we try to use a Marriott gift card!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
I received $50 GC. But the front desk at Atlantis refused to take. He said the hotel does not take any of those.

It is fine. I'm sure I can use it elsewhere.
Have you tried to talk to the front desk manager or the operations manager?

I dont know how Atlantis is classified in Marriott's brands as there are indeed some brands do not participate per the FAQ on Marriott Gift Card site, but Atlantis apparently does not belong to that group, unless it is a Ritz Carlton Partner Hotel, or a Design Hotel.

Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:29 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
Have you tried to talk to the front desk manager or the operations manager?

I dont know how Atlantis is classified in Marriott's brands as there are indeed some brands do not participate per the FAQ on Marriott Gift Card site, but Atlantis apparently does not belong to that group, unless it is a Ritz Carlton Partner Hotel, or a Design Hotel.

I did not bother. I redeemed my RC free bonus nights at Atlantis Cove and received the GC free. No complaints.

Atlantis is one of the most independent hotels related to Marriott. The GC won't expire and I get plenty chances to use it.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Stuck in the checkout queue for what seemed like an eternity this morning behind a guest wishing to redeem one of these Thank You gift cards.

I know this particular hotel is pretty switched in when it comes to Bonvoy stuff, but judging by the amount of back-office consultation that took place it seems pretty clear that none of the staff had received a “we’re sending out gift cards, this is what you should do if someone presents one” briefing.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hhonor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Ambassador 80 nights 17.5k spending. Nothing here.....they don't even send out birthday gift anymore...no targeted promotion whatsoever
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Stuck in the checkout queue for what seemed like an eternity this morning behind a guest wishing to redeem one of these Thank You gift cards.

I know this particular hotel is pretty switched in when it comes to Bonvoy stuff, but judging by the amount of back-office consultation that took place it seems pretty clear that none of the staff had received a “we’re sending out gift cards, this is what you should do if someone presents one” briefing.
I always try to pay my bill the night before check out when using gift cards, or if it's a legacy SPG property, I let them know even sooner so they have time to figure it out. Hasn't worked particularly well in Australia where they couldn't figure it out after a week, but it worked to get the credit card fees waived. LOL

I have quite a few gift cards right now, so will try to use them at legacy Marriott properties.

Originally Posted by hanto
Ambassador 80 nights 17.5k spending. Nothing here.....they don't even send out birthday gift anymore...no targeted promotion whatsoever
See post # 199.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Same situation last week at the Westin Vendome Paris, except I was the guest redeeming the card! Luckily it was not too busy, but the front desk guy did have to check with the back office a couple times so it added at least 10–15 minutes to the process. It was the first time he’d seen one of these. But ultimately he converted the $50 to an equivalent Euro amount and applied it to my bill. So good news is they can work outside the US, but be ready to be very patient.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:00 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN

This was precisely why I redeemed my GC at check-in. It allowed me to avoid the drama of it not working at check-out. Perhaps, Marriott should've issued Marriott paper certificates like they used to do back in the day. Everyone gets crazy when the transaction is electronic.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I have just used it today checking out from Sheraton Hacienda Del Alamo (Spain) and they processed it very quickly with no issues.
50 USD today mean 44 Euros
Nice gift from Marriott!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
My context: Original Marriott Rewards Member, 16 years as Elite, 13 as a Platinum or higher, and qualified as Lifetime Platinum last year in the merger. I have 52 Elite nights this year and will likely qualify for Titanium this year.

I got nothing. I am not sure what the criteria are to receive these types of gestures, but based on the promotions I receive I will likely not see a thank you gift this year.

*shrugs* seems like a they could do better at promoting good will.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
No e-gift card for this LT Titanium members either.

On the other hand, IMO, I would not use these USD gift cards outside of the US. Typically, they use the in-house conversion rate, as if you were exchanging USD for the local currency, and that is generally higher than bank or street rate. [Disregard incorrect information.]

Last edited by PTahCha; Jul 22, 2019 at 4:23 pm Reason: Correcting incorrect information
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:22 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hyatt appears to have taken a card from Marriott:

Hyatt 100$ Gift Card In Mail thanking me for my loyalty
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by PTahCha

On the other hand, IMO, I would not use these USD gift cards outside of the US. Typically, they use the in-house conversion rate, as if you were exchanging USD for the local currency, and that is generally higher than bank or street rate.
Which country? All the gift cards I have redeemed have been converted at the XE rate. (Australia, Canada and one more country that I can't remember right now.)
Happy and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
No e-gift card for this LT Titanium members either.

On the other hand, IMO, I would not use these USD gift cards outside of the US. Typically, they use the in-house conversion rate, as if you were exchanging USD for the local currency, and that is generally higher than bank or street rate.
Based on your personal experience?

Isn't that Marriott has started using the standard Visa processing channel on its gift card at least 5 or more years ago? In other words, the gift card is processed just like it is a Visa, going thru Visa network, IN Local currency if you make sure not to be DCCed, just like using a CC.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Which country? All the gift cards I have redeemed have been converted at the XE rate. (Australia, Canada and one more country that I can't remember right now.)
It should be, as what I wrote above.

Unless the poster suffers being DCCed. That is just the same for credit card payment - many merchants in many countries attempt to use DCC to process the payment if you do not watch out and stress to them that the charge should be in Local Currency.
I am sure everyone who travels aboard these days know what is DCC and know how to avoid it.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
$ 50 = € 44 was yesterday official conversion rate
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.