Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
delete

Last edited by UA-NYC; Apr 1, 2019 at 8:14 pm Reason: not worth it
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Gadot
... But one thing nobody has done is thank the hotel for not having cancelled his whole reservation but only that one night. ...
That’s some mental gymnastics there - you call ahead to advise you’re running late due to weather, and the hotel should just cancel your entire 5-night stay on the spot?

The guest wasn’t asking the hotel to break any no-show rules because he wasn’t a no-show. It’s telling that the two people on this thread defending the hotel are hotel owners - you guys aren’t really arguing this is the right or ethical thing to do, you’re just trying to justify bilking more money out of your customers.
Happy, ksucats, bawm and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:47 am

Retracted, maybe???

Last edited by arlflyer; Apr 2, 2019 at 7:58 am
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yes - the same owners that wouldn't have said a word if the guest showed up on time now save money on housekeeping, water, electricity, disposables, and are still pounding the table about how they deserve to collect outrageous sums of cash for some sort of nonexistent damages. There is no opportunity cost argument to be had here. It's pure greed in the most malicious sense.
I think the hotel's position is ridiculous but, if we're being objective, there is an opportunity cost.

If the guest had been checked in as planned, the hotel would have been paid for the room, as Marriott would have compensated it for the night/points. Some threads suggest Marriott pays well when hotels are full. Because the guest was not checked in, the hotel wasn't paid.

I'm not justifying Elevated Returns policy, as I think this is a cost of doing business in a ski town. But objectively, there is a loss to the hotel.

For future reference, on a stay like this, if someone is having travel issues, ask the hotel to check you in when you call and tell them you want the room available when you arrive early in the morning.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
If the guest had been checked in as planned, the hotel would have been paid for the room, as Marriott would have compensated it for the night/points. Some threads suggest Marriott pays well when hotels are full. Because the guest was not checked in, the hotel wasn't paid.
Well that's certainly a fact I wasn't aware of. This is why I shouldn't dive into 500-post threads. Carry on. I'll retract the above.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I think the hotel's position is ridiculous but, if we're being objective, there is an opportunity cost.

I'm not justifying Elevated Returns policy, as I think this is a cost of doing business in a ski town. But objectively, there is a loss to the hotel.

For future reference, on a stay like this, if someone is having travel issues, ask the hotel to check you in when you call and tell them you want the room available when you arrive early in the morning.
Yes, and this is an opportunity cost due to a broken policy at Marriott.

Both the hotel and Marriott are at fault. The hotel for being obtuse and punishing a guest because they hate people that stay on points, and Marriott for having a policy that will inherently result in anti-guest behaviors like that which the OP experienced in this case.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
It shouldn't be the customer's responsibility to do ongoing diligence on this type of situation. This was supposed to be a merger and not a hostile takeover. The reason I bring that up is that as a reasonable individual, I would assume that the terms of my contract with the hotel would not be changed so dramatically during a merger without explicit notice. That notice would include an explicit mention of what would happen in a late arrival situation. Not a cancellation, which this was not, but a late arrival. In a bankruptcy or a hostile takeover, and nothing has been communicated that it is one, I would think it would be in a consumer's best interest to review the terms of the reservation.

I have empathy for business owners who are running on thin margins and have to make customer service decisions that cost them money. It's difficult to side with a customer when you are trying to make payroll and pay down your loans, especially if the terms and conditions are on your side. I would guess that isn't the case here. This feels like a hotel owner who begrudgingly is a part of a program that allows the use of points. Maybe the contract was signed before the economy turned. Who knows. My assessment is that eating the $2K would have been an inexpensive marketing expense versus the press they are getting now.

On a separate note as it relates to the bed bug incident, I don't think it is ok to fabricate in order to win a customer service argument in a way that hurts the hourly workers at a hotel. Whether it's illegal or not, I don't know, but it sure is a drain on karma and decency. Though as I think about it, when people search for St Regis Aspen and bed bugs, they will now be in the same thread even though no one ever said anything about this hotel. This Interweb thing is a nuisance.
Twickenham and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Score8
It shouldn't be the customer's responsibility to do ongoing diligence on this type of situation. This was supposed to be a merger and not a hostile takeover. The reason I bring that up is that as a reasonable individual, I would assume that the terms of my contract with the hotel would not be changed so dramatically during a merger without explicit notice. That notice would include an explicit mention of what would happen in a late arrival situation. Not a cancellation, which this was not, but a late arrival. In a bankruptcy or a hostile takeover, and nothing has been communicated that it is one, I would think it would be in a consumer's best interest to review the terms of the reservation.

I have empathy for business owners who are running on thin margins and have to make customer service decisions that cost them money. It's difficult to side with a customer when you are trying to make payroll and pay down your loans, especially if the terms and conditions are on your side. I would guess that isn't the case here. This feels like a hotel owner who begrudgingly is a part of a program that allows the use of points. Maybe the contract was signed before the economy turned. Who knows. My assessment is that eating the $2K would have been an inexpensive marketing expense versus the press they are getting now. ...
Exactly - I appreciate the franchise owners and staff here providing insight as to what happened on the back end, but none of that should be an excuse - this should all be transparent to the customer, particularly at a luxury hotel where service is expected to be seamless. A guest who received no communication from the hotel following a merger/reflagging shouldn’t have to dig up the latest reservation terms and conditions and assume that they retroactively apply to existing reservations. And a guest who calls ahead to inform the staff that they’re running late due to weather shouldn’t have to figure out how to ensure the hotel gets paid by Marriott rather than flagging him/her as a no-show - the staff should know how to handle that.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Before reading this thread, I had no idea that a night in Aspen could cost mode than double that of a night at the Ritz in Paris or London
Have you tried Ritz Paris during Paris Fashion Week?

I would never pay $1000 for St. Regis Aspen. And based on this thread, I won't touch it with a 10-ft pole either, especially for award bookings.
KRSW and TSparky like this.

Last edited by CIT85; Apr 2, 2019 at 12:14 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by strife
Long time lurker, new poster. I have worked in hotels and the travel industry for basically my whole life. I ran across this thread and will note I have skimmed maybe a third of the posts and certainly not read the whole thing.

As a hotel industry veteran, I feel inclined to point out that the vast majority of hotels do not engage in these types of shady business practices. Fortunately, I think that is obvious to many posters here as I am sure many posters here have arrived a day late for or had to cancel their hotel reservations because of airline IRROPS, weather, or other circumstances that are clearly beyond their control. Most properties are pretty forgiving in these circumstances.

In all my years working in hotels, I only ever worked for one property that had a strict no-excuses policy after the cancellation deadline and that was for a smaller boutique property and even then the policy was that if we could resell the room we would refund the money. At pretty much every other hotel the policy was forgiving even on nonrefundable reservations.
The rationale for being forgiving is somewhat a matter of good business in that in many circumstances we will be able to resell the room anyway (and in many of those cases for more money) and if guests feel we are being unduly harsh then they will never return. That is a big risk especially in business hotels especially if dis-servicing the wrong person. Some properties might target corporate travelers on the rationale that those on expense accounts will not care, but there is a lot of risk playing that game. However, the much bigger impetus is that it is a simple matter of good customer service. It is never nice to try to hold guests accountable for circumstances that are genuinely out of the guest's control.
Thanks for the insight. I wouldn't even be horribly mad about losing points for one night but the exorbitant fees are beyond comprehension.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Losing one's points for a no-show or a late arrival and the hotel being compensated as if the guest stayed for the duration of the points reservation seems like an equitable solution.

If someone misses an award flight, the points are normally lost and customers aren't charged the cash cost of a last minute ticket. Although hotels are sometimes independently owned, there is no reason that Marriott couldn't treat a missed reservation made with points the same as with a cash booking. Once the cancellation becomes non-refundable the hotel gets paid the same amount whether or not the guest arrives. What is unreasonable is for the hotel to make more money when a customer doesn't show than when they do. If all flights were grounded and guests arrive late, that shouldn't become a windfall for the hotel. At the same time, hotels shouldn't bear the loss of revenue caused by someone else's error.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by ExpAAt05
Don't tell me you own the Buffalo Harbor Center Marriott?
no
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Gadot
no
So which property is it? As an owner you are surely proud of your hotel(s) and the standards that you have set for the way you treat your guests, and you should have no problem sharing with the community.

Last edited by CLEguy; Apr 2, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:27 pm

It’s also not a good look for Marriott that the only two unreasonable posters on this entire thread also happen to (claim anyways) be Marriot owners/employees
cruisr, ksucats, KRSW and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I am almost finished redeeming a substantial balance of SPG points converted to Bonvoy. Though I am lifetime gold, and been platinum for the past few years, I decided that for travel I will just book the most convenient property, pay for my desired upgrade and breakfast and forget any loyalty to Marriott.
It is attitudes like on in the St Regis Aspen that makes it so easy to leave.
AbyssalLoris and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.