Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:11 pm
FT

Originally Posted by happychic
I upgraded my Amex Bonvoy to Bonvoy Brilliant card when I saw the offer: 125k pts for $5k spend in 3 months when I saw the offer on Sept 13. It mentioned that it will prorate refund part of the $95 fee and also prorate charge me $450 fee. The card came yesterday and it said that the fee will be charged on Nov 1.

1 - Does this mean I will be charged the full $450 on Nov 1, or will it charge me the full $450 in January, when my membership year for my old Bonvoy card was supposed to be?

2 - Can I use the $300 credit now and will it be reset on Nov 1, or will it be reset in only in Jan 2020?

Also, the card came with a small gift: a Beagle 2.0 Bluetooth device. It looks like this but it has the Amex and Marriott Bonvoy logos on it (instead of the SPG logo on the blog post).

https://travelinpoints.com/american-...tooth-tracker/
A couple months after I upgraded from SPG to Brilliant, AMEX credited back a prorated annual fee of the $95 and charged a prorated fee for the $450. It's not tied to when you upgraded or your anniversary date.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:45 pm

So I have the regular Bonvoy (old SPG) AMEX. I have not received any of the recently publicized upgrade offers (not sure why I never do) but am tempted to upgrade anyway because of the changes to the peak/off-peak redemptions. I assume you cant call AMEX to ask for offers (if you can and anyone has been successful, please tell me).

My big question is the $300 credit. I can use that easily. In fact, I am heading on vacation next week and have several reservations at Marriott family properties. Do you receive instant access to that credit or do you have to wait for your next anniversary (March in my case)? Is the credit pro-rated along with the remaining AF?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by happychic
1 - Does this mean I will be charged the full $450 on Nov 1, or will it charge me the full $450 in January, when my membership year for my old Bonvoy card was supposed to be?

2 - Can I use the $300 credit now and will it be reset on Nov 1, or will it be reset in only in Jan 2020?
You will be charged the prorated amount in November and then the full $450 in January. You'll receive the 50k free night certificate 2-3 months after that.

You'll get the full $300 credit now, and another $300 again after your original anniversary date.

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
My big question is the $300 credit. I can use that easily. In fact, I am heading on vacation next week and have several reservations at Marriott family properties. Do you receive instant access to that credit or do you have to wait for your next anniversary (March in my case)? Is the credit pro-rated along with the remaining AF?
See above (these were also answered in the last 1-2 pages of this thread...)
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by FT
A couple months after I upgraded from SPG to Brilliant, AMEX credited back a prorated annual fee of the $95 and charged a prorated fee for the $450. It's not tied to when you upgraded or your anniversary date.
Originally Posted by Zorak
You will be charged the prorated amount in November and then the full $450 in January. You'll receive the 50k free night certificate 2-3 months after that.

You'll get the full $300 credit now, and another $300 again after your original anniversary date.
Thank you FT and Zorak!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by FT
I upgraded my SPG card to Brilliant in April. I got charged a $150 annual fee in May and then a partial credit of ~$30 and now a $450 annual fee in Sep for a total of ~$570 fees in 2019. Seems like I should get rest of the $150 fee charged in May back at some point?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I upgraded my SPG card to Brilliant in April. I got charged a $150 annual fee in May and then a partial credit of ~$30 and now a $450 annual fee in Sep for a total of ~$570 fees in 2019. Seems like I should get rest of the $150 fee charged in May back at some point?
That sounds nominally correct. You got charged for a partial year of the Brilliant card: May-Sept is 4 months or 1/3 of a year. 1/3rd of $450 is $150. You were refunded for a partial year of your SPG card (1/3 of $95 is ~$30).

Did you use your $300 Marriott stay credit between May and your full renewal date in Sept? Then you'd actually be ahead $150 from May-Sept.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by goldenbear
That sounds nominally correct. You got charged for a partial year of the Brilliant card: May-Sept is 4 months or 1/3 of a year. 1/3rd of $450 is $150. You were refunded for a partial year of your SPG card (1/3 of $95 is ~$30).
OK makes sense.

Originally Posted by goldenbear
Did you use your $300 Marriott stay credit between May and your full renewal date in Sept? Then you'd actually be ahead $150 from May-Sept.
I did.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I previously had the 50k upgrade offer but wasn't sure if to accept and I'm glad I didn't because now I got the offer to upgrade and earn 125k points for $5k spend. I for sure want to do it but I'm wondering if anyone can answer the following question. I'm currently signed up for the offer to earn 25k points for every $25k I spend. Will this carry over when I upgrade? If not where can I see when my upgrade offer expires? It doesn't say anywhere in the email and I would try to hit my $25k spend just before the offer expires and upgrade at that point. (If it carries over then I would obviously just upgrade now.)
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I just got the 125,000 upgrade offer today. How long do they usually give you to respond before the offer's withdrawn?
I just passed the anniversary date on my SPG Card in late August, so the FNA will not be deposited in my account for another month or so. If I upgrade to the Brilliant, then I guess I lose the 35K point FNA and then restart the clock to getting a 50K FNA one year from now. I assume that's how it'll work, which seems like a ripoff. Do they time these upgrades so that they'll get you to lose the FNA of your previous card?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Actually no. You paid $120 for the basic card for Sep 2018 - Sep 2019. You were charged $150-$30 = $120 for the final 4 months to upgrade to the Brilliant (until Sep 2019) . Now you pay $450 for the period until Sep 2020. I don't see anything extra coming back to you.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I tried to upgrade online from the SPG Card to the Bonvoy Brilliant with the 125K offer, but when I entered my Marriott member number on the screen, I got taken to an Amex page that offered me 50K instead. What's with that? A bait and switch if I ever saw one. Has anyone here upgraded from the SPG Card to the Bonvoy Brilliant and received the 125K points? Perhaps I need to call into Amex directly and talk to a rep.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Mostly-positive change mentioned in the AMEX forum, reportedly (TPG) coming to premium AMEX cards including the Bonvoy Brilliant:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ect-cards.html
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, WN Companion
Originally Posted by J Breeze
I've just had my anniversary, but the AF hasn't hit yet. I tried chatting with Amex to no avail, trying to find out when the $300 credit resets. Do we know if it's possible to use the credit, and cancel the card towards the end of the grace period after the AF hits?
I have exactly the same question - my $450 annual fee showed up this month, and I also received the $300 credit on a stay this month.

If I close the card, are clawbacks likely?

Thanks all!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:41 pm

Just got off the phone with the Amex rep and got the 125K offer for the Bonvoy Brilliant completed. I would have passed on this card with a lower offer, but 125K points are hard to pass up, even if I keep the card for only a year or two. I already have the RC Reward Card, so no real benefit to have two high-end Marriott cards. I suspect that Marriott may at some point eliminate the RC Rewards Card (after all, only Amex is supposed to be offering luxury cards for Marriott), so I may even want to keep this card long term. Does anyone know if there's an upgrade path (actually more of a lateral move than an upgrade) to an Amex Platinum Card or Aspire Card from this card if I choose to cancel it? BTW, the Amex rep was incredible. I've never experienced such professional, personable, friendly, patient, and competent phone service in my life. Wow, really impressive, I thought that kind of service was of a bygone era, if in fact it ever existed.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
So for the last month or so there was a 50,000 point upgrade offer dogging the account. Today it is up to 125,000 points. Amex and Marriott now have my full attention.

I have read this thread as attentively as I can, but I still have a few questions.

1. The card currently has an Amex Offer saved to it, Spend $500 or more, get $100 back- Marriott International luxury brands. Here is some language from OFFER TERMS that is potentially worrisome: "Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem." Has anyone had any experience upgrading and carrying an offer over? Others have asked here but if this was ever answered, I have missed it.

2. Have all those who upgraded kept the same card number? [Related to 1, and possible to 3] Here's someone who says that this is what is promised in an upgrade, but I don't remember seeing this specifically in what I read through so far on the upgrade offer that popped up for us today.
1. I have the same Amex offer on my card, so I asked the Amex rep if that and any other offers would be carried over to the new Bonvoy Brillant Card, and she said yes, anything offers on or associated with the old card would automatically carry over to the new card. If you'r still worried about it, you could just download the same offer on your new card when you get it.

2. The Amex rep said I would keep the same number as on the SPG Card.
Biggie Fries likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.