Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Got the same email. But not planning to stay before end of December .... any Bonvoy Rates that are pre-paid but fully refundable? Hilton has some that charge 50% upfront but not sure about Bonvoy ... not sure about keeping the card and $25 is just one more argument to keep it another year
i think a prepaid, “non-refundable” night can be canceled within 24 hours.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone know how the $100 "Luxury Rate" credits at St Regis and Ritz-Carlton are assigned? My wife has the card; I'm an authorized user, and we both have Marriott accounts. For a two-night stay, is there any way we could get the credit for two nights, by making two separate reservations (one per account) for the stay? Or if both accounts are using the same card, are we limited to only using it once?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:22 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by morphogencc
Does anyone know how the $100 "Luxury Rate" credits at St Regis and Ritz-Carlton are assigned? My wife has the card; I'm an authorized user, and we both have Marriott accounts. For a two-night stay, is there any way we could get the credit for two nights, by making two separate reservations (one per account) for the stay? Or if both accounts are using the same card, are we limited to only using it once?
The $100 credit is per stay.

If you have different reservations that are under 2 different persons names and using totally different Luxury Cards, each booked under the Luxury Rate, I supposed they might allow you to get it for both nights.

And then I hope they cancel one of your cards or otherwise penalize you for abusing a rate that is sometimes quite useful for the rest of us. Actions like you are suggesting that abuse a benefit are part of the reason we often lose such nice benefits.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:44 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The $100 credit is per stay.

If you have different reservations that are under 2 different persons names and using totally different Luxury Cards, each booked under the Luxury Rate, I supposed they might allow you to get it for both nights.

And then I hope they cancel one of your cards or otherwise penalize you for abusing a rate that is sometimes quite useful for the rest of us. Actions like you are suggesting that abuse a benefit are part of the reason we often lose such nice benefits.
Surprised to hear you say that. I don’t think that’s an abuse in either practice or principle. And I don’t believe most hotels would have an issue with it.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by damon88

Surprised to hear you say that. I don’t think that’s an abuse in either practice or principle. And I don’t believe most hotels would have an issue with it.
the credit is for 2 nights minimum and you have to book a specific rate
morphogencc likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:51 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by damon88

Sorry, but it's $100 per stay for a reason. I certainly answered that the poster could do it, though.

But I still think it's an abuse of the stay credit.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by AndWhatsYourPoint
Me too. The $300 Marriott credit along with the Amex Offers of which I utilized $210 worth last year makes this a no brainer.
Any example of the Amex offers? Is the Amex offer specifics to this card?

I already have the Plat and Gold and they have Amex offers too, so I rarely check the Amex offer for this Bonvoy card.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:46 am

I've just had my anniversary, but the AF hasn't hit yet. I tried chatting with Amex to no avail, trying to find out when the $300 credit resets. Do we know if it's possible to use the credit, and cancel the card towards the end of the grace period after the AF hits?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Sorry, but it's $100 per stay for a reason. I certainly answered that the poster could do it, though.

But I still think it's an abuse of the stay credit.
It's definitely not an abuse.
2 different cards, 2 different reservations and 2 different people booking it.
The rules say 2 night minimum.
How in the world is that abuse?
What they are doing here is called "Playing by the rules"
mag_nate likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:29 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
It's definitely not an abuse.
2 different cards, 2 different reservations and 2 different people booking it.
The rules say 2 night minimum.
How in the world is that abuse?
What they are doing here is called "Playing by the rules"
If it's 2 x 2 night stays, I agree it's in the rules.

I originally thought it was 2 x 1 night stays to get $200 in credits, but I realize now that wouldn't be eligible. (So that latter scenario would've been abuse after all haha.)

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 30, 2019 at 10:38 am
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by ahhlun
Any example of the Amex offers? Is the Amex offer specifics to this card?

I already have the Plat and Gold and they have Amex offers too, so I rarely check the Amex offer for this Bonvoy card.
I don't carry the Plat or Gold so I don't know which Brilliant offers might or might not be duplicated on those cards.

The most recent offers I've taken advantage of are...
Marriott - Spend $200 get $40 back.
TV, Internet, Phone - Get 10% back up to $15 when you use the card to pay your bill.
Il Fornaio -- Spend $100 get $20 back.
Salt Creek Grille - Spend $75 get $15 back.
eBags - Spend $100 get $20 back.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:07 am

I don't carry the Plat or Gold so I don't know which Brilliant offers might or might not be duplicated on those cards.

I found out that most offers are overlapped except extra MR offers. You can only register one card if they are duplicated. Since I don't have time to compare the minor differences between 74/85/87/... offers I got, I usually just put Marriott offer to Brilliant, Hilton to Aspire and rest to MR cards.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

TV, Internet, Phone - Get 10% back up to $15 when you use the card to pay your bill.
Il Fornaio -- Spend $100 get $20 back.
Salt Creek Grille - Spend $75 get $15 back.
eBags - Spend $100 get $20 back.
Most offers appear on each and every of my Credit Cards .... but somehow Hilton offers appear on everything but the Hilton card ... LO:
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:40 pm

If it's 2 x 2 night stays, I agree it's in the rules.

I originally thought it was 2 x 1 night stays to get $200 in credits, but I realize now that wouldn't be eligible. (So that latter scenario would've been abuse after all haha.)
Actually that's what I read the question too. I think morphogencc is asking about 2x1 nights. I will caution him that in that case, he likely won't get any credit at all.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:52 am

I have had the SPG personal Amex for 10 years now and was seriously considering closing this account. (I have hardly used the card for the last year, as most of my spend is going on Citi Prestige and Chase Sapphire Reserve - I am keeping both for now) . My AF will post in a couple of weeks. I called the retention line today and wasn't expecting anything based on DPs, and also since I had received an offer last March, but after some back and forth, I was offered 30,000 points for $3,000 spend in 90 days - so I took it. I was looking through Amex offers online and my account has an upgrade offer to Luxury card as well - 50,000 points for $2,500 spend (understand there have been much better offers in the past). It got me reconsidering upgrading to the Luxury card. If I choose to upgrade will the $3,000 spend from retention offer also apply to the upgrade? So, basically spend $3000 for 80,000 points. Anyone has or seen any DPs where this has worked? Also, if I upgrade now before the AF posts will I get the 35,000 or 50,000 point free night certificate? Any thoughts/DP's appreciated!
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.