Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:23 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
It’s pretty much confirmed that this card is getting a refresh at this point. Only question is when…
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
It’s pretty much confirmed that this card is getting a refresh at this point. Only question is when…
Are you saying this because of the surveys mailed out or something else? Personally I like the card as is.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:23 am
FT

It's because the card offers similar benefits to Platinum and Business Platinum which were refreshed with an increase in annual cost. This will have downstream impact on Brilliant (and Delta, and Gold, and ....). Just like every other annual fee increase.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by FT
It's because the card offers similar benefits to Platinum and Business Platinum which were refreshed with an increase in annual cost. This will have downstream impact on Brilliant (and Delta, and Gold, and ....). Just like every other annual fee increase.
I’m sure they were talking about the great “improvements” Marriott introduced today as their logic.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
A card that is basically “you might get a luxury room somewhere in off-season for $350 (net annual fee) after the second year, plus a SUB” is a fairly hard sell for me compared to “$300 of Marriott spend and less of a chance of a good room night the second year (but you can probably find one) for $450. Though maybe that’s the intent.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:43 am
FT

Originally Posted by Werty7777
I’m sure they were talking about the great “improvements” Marriott introduced today as their logic.
I believe these are decoupled. The Brilliant fee is $450 w/ a $300 Marriott credit meaning you're paying $150 per year. This year, they added the $20/month benefit to help offset the loss of travel. That's an additional $240. Holding the card, staying at Marriott at least once a year, and finding a way to use $20/month for restaurant credits means making $90 and you have a hotel room to go along w/ that.

I can see them increasing the fee to $595 and making the dining credit permanent. If AMEX is shifting toward a lifestyle business to help draw in younger cohorts as they seem to do, that may apply to cobranded CC irrespective of what the brands themselves do with their loyalty programs.

My 2c so take it for what it's worth.
bizum likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Werty7777
Well I guess this answers the question about why they have been offering such large CC bonuses lately.
Werty7777 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Well I guess this answers the question about why they have been offering such large CC bonuses lately.
Yes. I wonder what they will do after this round of best ever bonuses expires.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:08 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
again, it is highly unlikely the SUB grows massively UNLESS there is also a large devaluation in Bonvoy points (inevitable). Hilton is the best example. As HH gets devalued, so too so the Hilton SUBs grow. I expect Marriott to eliminate award charts sooner rather than later. At that point, SUBs will inflate as well but the dollar value of that sub will not change dramatically.
This is just the nature of the game. I think most reasonable people predicted the elimination of the award chart was on the immediate horizon. At least Marriott did us the courtesy of inflating the SUBs first THEN devaluing the points. That gives people a sweet spot time to burn the insane amount of points they have issued out lately.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:43 pm

hi im wondering if there is any information or data points on someone who had the ritz carlton or other chase card that disallows someone from getting this card?

my wife had the ritz carlton credit card and closed it down on either sept30 or oct 1 by phone...and paid off the balance on oct 1

30 days would have been oct 31 at the latest (if counting from the 3rd somehow like the closure not being processed until the day after the phone call).

i was thinking of applying today (or latest tomorrow the last day) to make sure 30 days have passed...but it would be 30 days from account closure right? not say 30 days from the credit bureau reporting it as closed?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by AdeAhmed
hi im wondering if there is any information or data points on someone who had the ritz carlton or other chase card that disallows someone from getting this card?

my wife had the ritz carlton credit card and closed it down on either sept30 or oct 1 by phone...and paid off the balance on oct 1

30 days would have been oct 31 at the latest (if counting from the 3rd somehow like the closure not being processed until the day after the phone call).

i was thinking of applying today (or latest tomorrow the last day) to make sure 30 days have passed...but it would be 30 days from account closure right? not say 30 days from the credit bureau reporting it as closed?
so i ended up applying online as i was told via chat that id get a popup if im not eligible for the welcome bonus...unfortunately I did get the popup...is there any way around this?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by AdeAhmed
so i ended up applying online as i was told via chat that id get a popup if im not eligible for the welcome bonus...unfortunately I did get the popup...is there any way around this?
Short answer is nope. You didn’t specify why you got the pop up. If it’s due to the multi-card waiting intervals in the terms then you’ll have to wait until those elapse. If it’s the non-specific pop up, then you’ll have to convince Amex you’ll be a more profitable customer by putting more spend by cards.

I wouldn’t stress about it. Bonus will be back up high again soon with the deval, and maybe card refresh
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by esquiar
Short answer is nope. You didn’t specify why you got the pop up. If it’s due to the multi-card waiting intervals in the terms then you’ll have to wait until those elapse. If it’s the non-specific pop up, then you’ll have to convince Amex you’ll be a more profitable customer by putting more spend by cards.

I wouldn’t stress about it. Bonus will be back up high again soon with the deval, and maybe card refresh
i believe i got the generic one...would the pop up say it hasnt been 30 days re ritz carlton if that was the reason why?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
There's a popup that says (paraphrased) that you're not eligible based on certain rules about having other Bonvoy cards. I got that one 30-some days after downgrading Ritz to the free card, presumably because they counted the downgrade as having "acquired" the free card within the last 90 days (although it's possible that they don't count days very precisely). Will wait and see what they're offering at year end or early next year.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:40 am

Closed = 1x use, open = reloadable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.