Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
First I'll dump or downgrade the Ritz card. Prefer not to dump as I've had it awhile, 6 years or maybe 7. I did get a bonus when applied I'm going to assume. What's unclear to me is if I can down grade it, maybe to a card earning 35K free night cert. I know if I dump it then need to wait 30 days to apply for Brilliant. Same if I downgrade to a lessor card? I know it says must wait 90 days past "aquiring" one of these card but is that the same as receiving as a product change from a card I've had for years?
Be mindful if you dump the Ritz it is gone for good. If I had one (unfortunately I don't) I think it unlikely I would cancel it because to my knowledge it is the only card that permits unlimited PP lounge guests. That is a major perk when traveling with family. But perhaps not a factor for others, or is exceeded by the value of new SUBs.

While the 35k nights have been useful the past 2 years, I would not count on that going forward, unless you like to use certs at lower end properties outside of expensive coastal markets.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
While the 35k nights have been useful the past 2 years, I would not count on that going forward, unless you like to use certs at lower end properties outside of expensive coastal markets.
Except that as soon as next month, you will be able to combine it with up to 15,000 points to open up more possibilities.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Except that as soon as next month, you will be able to combine it with up to 15,000 points to open up more possibilities.
The ability to combine certs with up to 15K points should be very helpful this year but I think Boraxo is suggesting that this will be a very different proposition next year when Marriott goes to a fully dynamic model. For example, properties that are currently 35K points on an average night this year could 50K or 70K next year. Let's hope for the best, but the fear is that the shift will be brutal.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by gudugan
I signed up for the Brilliant card when the SUB was 150k points + 85k point free night certificate for $5k spend.

I met the required spend about 10 days ago. So far 100k points has posted to my account (that was the sign up bonus before it was increased to 150k+85k cert).

CS said that the second half of the points (50k) will arrive separately. Assuming the free night award will come at some point in the next 8-12 weeks.
Yeah, agree, it's weird. CS confirmed in the chat it is 150k (and it was for a one time spend), so I will play the waiting game for a little while then come back with an update.
An update on this...

I called in and confirmed that they see the 150k + 85k free night certificate on the welcome bonus. My impression is that there were some hijinks with the minimum spend, as a previous customer service rep said that I had $4900 before and then in the same chat session confirmed that I had $5100. I'll chalk it up to Amex IT.

They tried to reissue the points and certificate over the phone but were unable to. They said it will show up in about 50 days, hopefully less.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Excellent news that I had not heard about. Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by paulnick
I applied for the Bonvoy Brilliant Card in early January 2021. The signup bonus was:

100,000 Point Sign Up Bonus + Platinum Elite Status + 25k Anniversary Points

Unfortunately the 25,000 bonus points wasn't credited on the anniversary of the card.

I'm wondering if anybody else on this thread applied under the same offer? Did the 25,000 anniversary points, and if so - when?
My 25k points posted 2 months after the anniversary date, pretty much to the day. I applied in early December so you may have a couple weeks.

I’m still waiting on my 50k anniversary FNC though. I’d kind of like it soon because it might end up only getting me an offpeak Four Points in Poughkeepsie or Amarillo post devaluation. I plan on banging on the table around week 12.
paulnick likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My 25k points posted 2 months after the anniversary date, pretty much to the day. I applied in early December so you may have a couple weeks.

I’m still waiting on my 50k anniversary FNC though. I’d kind of like it soon because it might end up only getting me an offpeak Four Points in Poughkeepsie or Amarillo post devaluation. I plan on banging on the table around week 12.
It usually takes the full 12 weeks for mine to show up.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium

My anniversary date is 3/1 and my 50K cert has predictably posted the first week of June each year I've had it.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
My anniversary date is 3/1 and my 50K cert has predictably posted the first week of June each year I've had it.
About the same lag for me, anniversary date in April and typically posts the first week of July.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
It usually takes the full 12 weeks for mine to show up.
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Originally Posted by tstauck
About the same lag for me, anniversary date in April and typically posts the first week of July.
I was afraid of that. Oh well, let’s hope there’s an off peak Four Points I can use it on by the time it shows up.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: UA - GS 8 years 1K - many!!, Mariott - Titanium, Hilton - Gold, Avis - President, Hertz - President
Anyone has real experience getting the Plat Upgrade after spending the $75K ? I am about to hit the $75K and would have really liked to have had the status change reflected soon !! Does calling anyone help?

Last edited by creaturecomforts; Feb 27, 2022 at 8:53 am
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by creaturecomforts
Anyone has real experience getting the Plat Upgrade after spending the $75K ? I am about to hit the $75K and would have really liked to have had the status change reflected soon !! Does calling anyone help?
I did it. Can’t remember how long. Not immediate, but under 30 days.

TD
Old Mar 4, 2022, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was afraid of that. Oh well, let’s hope there’s an off peak Four Points I can use it on by the time it shows up.
Womp, womp, 13 weeks and no certificate, called Marriott and AMEX to ask them what the deal is, they said they would investigate…

(Edit to add)

And, finally, it showed up this morning.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 6, 2022 at 9:17 am Reason: Result!
Old Mar 6, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA - GS 8 years 1K - many!!, Mariott - Titanium, Hilton - Gold, Avis - President, Hertz - President
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I did it. Can’t remember how long. Not immediate, but under 30 days.

TD
Thanks much !! I went ahead and got a Biz Bonvoy card - hope to hit Plat this month with just stays plus the bonus nights boost.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
An update on this...

I called in and confirmed that they see the 150k + 85k free night certificate on the welcome bonus. My impression is that there were some hijinks with the minimum spend, as a previous customer service rep said that I had $4900 before and then in the same chat session confirmed that I had $5100. I'll chalk it up to Amex IT.

They tried to reissue the points and certificate over the phone but were unable to. They said it will show up in about 50 days, hopefully less.
50k points and 85k free night certificate posted 35 days later
SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.