Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Reply

Old Oct 6, 18, 2:02 pm
  #406  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by mrstraveler View Post
Managed to snag this card in August during the three day window. I will be staying at a Marriott resort over the NYE holiday 12/29 - 1/3. My question is about the $300 travel credit. Since I received the card in August I am slightly confused about the credit, especially since my trip is planned for the end of the year...do I have to redeem the $300 credit by 12/31/18 and then it will reset again on 1/1/19?
The wording on the card is card year, not calendar year, so you have until next August to use the credit, unless you upgraded the card, then it links to that cards' anniversary.
joeags is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 3:55 pm
  #407  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York
Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Platinum, HH DM, National EE
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88 View Post
When did you make the charge? Maybe AMEX made some changes recently.

Mine was a few days ago (e-card as well), and it posted as MARRIOTT GIFT CARDS as opposed to just "Marriott." Credit has not posted (at least not yet), but purchase codes as "Category: Travel - Lodging."
Update: credit posted in 4-5 days, but displays as if it had posted in 2 days.
mcdullhk88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 4:56 pm
  #408  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
Online, I'm seeing the 15K bonus to upgrade my current card. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help with:
  1. My anniversary month is January. So that leaves about 5 months left. So I'm guessing I would only have to pay around half the $450 annual fee, correct?
  2. And as soon as I upgrade, I will be able to use the $300 credit for charges at Marriott hotels? So I would essentially be paying about $225 to get a $300 credit (not counting if I get back anything from my legacy card annual fee.)
  3. Come January, I will have to pay the full annual fee of $450, but I would get another $300 credit, a 50K cert, correct? Note I'm LTPP, so I don't really care about the night credits or the Gold/Plat elite status possible upgrades.
If I'm correct, then my options are to either upgrade which nets me $75 and 15K points. Or apply for a new card with -$150 out of pocket ($450 - $300) but I get 100K points (that is the offer I see for applying for as a new card.)
Will the $300 credit apply before or after paying the prorated annual fee? I upgraded to the new card, but the prorated annual fee hasn't got the account yet. It initially said annual fee will hit in approx 45 days from the upgraded date. I am a bit confused on this...
nit407 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 18, 4:12 am
  #409  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SoCal, CA
Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88 View Post
Update: credit posted in 4-5 days, but displays as if it had posted in 2 days.
Thanks!

Do you know if this also can count toward the AmEx Offer Deal of spend $300 get $60 statement credit? I know people have reported success if you physically buy GCs at the front-desk but was hoping on-line would be more convenient .
Mileage Fanatic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 18, 10:32 am
  #410  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Jose, CA USA
Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, New Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 542
Not sure if this is answered before. I need to get $5k in spend to get 100K points. I assume the $450 fee doesn't count towards the $5k, but does the $300 credit reduce my spend and thus I need $5.3K in spend since I have received the $300 credit.
RobUAIntl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 18, 2:57 pm
  #411  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 10,934
Originally Posted by nit407 View Post
Will the $300 credit apply before or after paying the prorated annual fee? I upgraded to the new card, but the prorated annual fee hasn't got the account yet. It initially said annual fee will hit in approx 45 days from the upgraded date. I am a bit confused on this...
I was told the prorated annual fee would hit later this month (October). I had a Marriott stay a couple of weeks ago and I have already been reimbursed for that spend.

So it looks like you can get the credit before you pay the annual fee.
nit407 likes this.
hhoope01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:04 pm
  #412  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by Werty7777 View Post
I spent 5053 and got the 100k. I also got the 300 credit plus the 60 off 300. So net spend of 4693. Annual fee just posted after I got the 100k.
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl View Post
Not sure if this is answered before. I need to get $5k in spend to get 100K points. I assume the $450 fee doesn't count towards the $5k, but does the $300 credit reduce my spend and thus I need $5.3K in spend since I have received the $300 credit.
The credit doesn't matter. 5K spend is all you need.
Werty7777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 18, 8:59 pm
  #413  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Posts: 4,885
Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic View Post
Thanks!

Do you know if this also can count toward the AmEx Offer Deal of spend $300 get $60 statement credit? I know people have reported success if you physically buy GCs at the front-desk but was hoping on-line would be more convenient .
Electronic gift cards do not trigger the $60 amex offer.
pitflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 18, 9:10 am
  #414  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
So I had the 100k/$5k spend upgrade offer as of several weeks ago. Well I had planned it out and I was going to apply for it today, but logged into my Amex and cannot find the upgrade offer anymore! Has anyone else noticed their offers got pulled? The language on the SPG Luxury card homepage when I'm logged in states "new card" instead of "request an upgrade" I got as far as the screen to put in name, income, etc. I did notice I was "pre-approved" whatever that means. Did I just not go far enough in the application process, would it have noticed I have an SPG card and explained the pro-rated annual fee thing(approx 45 days after your card is opened)?

If I did apply for a new card(still seeing the 100k offer), what happens to my current SPG card? They let you carry both?

Sadly I don't have any screencaps of the offer, I know it didn't expire till 10/31. I'll try calling or chatting with Amex tomorrow(today a holiday) but based on what I've read about their customer service lately, I'm not overly optimistic.
ak3883 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 18, 9:33 am
  #415  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 456
Hi. Does anyone know whether I will "disqualify" myself from getting the Amex SPG Luxury Card bonus in the future if I apply for the The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase now? I want to wait for a few months before getting the Luxury Card but am worried that the Marriott card may make me ineligible for the Amex bonus (due to their once-per-lifetime rules).

Thanks.
FrequentFlyer9000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 18, 9:47 am
  #416  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000 View Post
Hi. Does anyone know whether I will "disqualify" myself from getting the Amex SPG Luxury Card bonus in the future if I apply for the The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase now? I want to wait for a few months before getting the Luxury Card but am worried that the Marriott card may make me ineligible for the Amex bonus (due to their once-per-lifetime rules).

Thanks.
Yes, you will be excluded if any of the following are true:

​​​​​

Bonus Restrictions Tightening on SPG and Marriott Cards Effective Sunday

Beginning on Aug. 26 (Sunday), terms will be added to the SPG Luxury Card that state…

“You are ineligible for the welcome offer if any of the following are true:

Currently have or have had any of the following Cards in the last 30 days
  • The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card from JP Morgan

OR have acquired any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 90 days
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card from Chase

OR have received a welcome or upgrade offer for any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 24 months
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card from Chase”1
Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/spg-luxury-card-why-apply-now/
diesteldorf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 18, 9:47 am
  #417  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000 View Post
Hi. Does anyone know whether I will "disqualify" myself from getting the Amex SPG Luxury Card bonus in the future if I apply for the The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase now? I want to wait for a few months before getting the Luxury Card but am worried that the Marriott card may make me ineligible for the Amex bonus (due to their once-per-lifetime rules).

Thanks.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-bo...-credit-cards/

The short answer is yes...

(Someone beat me to it)
ckelly14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:03 am
  #418  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 456
Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
Yes, you will be excluded if any of the following are true:

​​​​​

Bonus Restrictions Tightening on SPG and Marriott Cards Effective Sunday

Beginning on Aug. 26 (Sunday), terms will be added to the SPG Luxury Card that state…

“You are ineligible for the welcome offer if any of the following are true:

Currently have or have had any of the following Cards in the last 30 days
  • The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card from JP Morgan

OR have acquired any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 90 days
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card from Chase

OR have received a welcome or upgrade offer for any of the following Cards from Chase in the last 24 months
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase
  • The Marriott Rewards Premier Business Credit Card from Chase”1
Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/spg-lu...why-apply-now/

Thanks. I was already aware of the 90 day rule. Sounds like it is also a 24 month rule. Is it a lifetime rule though?

Lastly, does this go both ways? If I get the Luxury Card can I not get the Marriott bonus afterward?
FrequentFlyer9000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:25 am
  #419  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Posts: 1,661
Just received an email offer for this car but for 125,000 points after $5000 spend. Is this a good deal?
BostonFlyer1624 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:36 am
  #420  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SF Bay
Programs: SPG Platinum
Posts: 710
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post
So I had the 100k/$5k spend upgrade offer as of several weeks ago. Well I had planned it out and I was going to apply for it today, but logged into my Amex and cannot find the upgrade offer anymore! Has anyone else noticed their offers got pulled? The language on the SPG Luxury card homepage when I'm logged in states "new card" instead of "request an upgrade" I got as far as the screen to put in name, income, etc. I did notice I was "pre-approved" whatever that means. Did I just not go far enough in the application process, would it have noticed I have an SPG card and explained the pro-rated annual fee thing(approx 45 days after your card is opened)?

If I did apply for a new card(still seeing the 100k offer), what happens to my current SPG card? They let you carry both?

Sadly I don't have any screencaps of the offer, I know it didn't expire till 10/31. I'll try calling or chatting with Amex tomorrow(today a holiday) but based on what I've read about their customer service lately, I'm not overly optimistic.
See if you have an email for it. Mine on the AMEX site got downgraded from 100k to 50k but I got an email for the 100k and was still able to apply through it since it had an RSVP code.
nexusCFX is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread