Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I got the $300 credit on the 19th according to the AmEx website. Since the hotel stay posted on the 17th, that's about two days for the credit to hit. Not bad. ^
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:45 pm

My apologies. I bought three airplane tickets (not miles - my typo) and had them voided by the agency.
I charged some property taxes today which is way over the required spend.
The 100,000 mile bonus has posted to my SPG account so I wonder if they are going to take them away.
I'm hoping now that the taxes have gone through they either won't or will put them back.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:17 pm

Since the $300 credit reportedly works for room rates, how about prepaid / nonrefundable / advance purchase room rates? Any datapoints on those?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Since the $300 credit reportedly works for room rates, how about prepaid / nonrefundable / advance purchase room rates? Any datapoints on those?
I tried but the hotels never charged me in advance. So I had to cancel before the deadline.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
I received the credit against a deposit on a refundable rate at a Ritz-Carlton.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Wife's upgrade offer recently changed from 15K bonus to 100K so we bit the bullet just now. How long does it take for the card to be upgraded? My wife wants to buy some expensive stuff later today, but I want to make sure it counts towards the $5k required.

And is it correct to assume that because it is an upgrade offer, she is eligible even though she has chase marriott visa's and thus couldn't get the bonus on a new card.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have spent over 10 hours in phone and talked to over 20 agents. They can't figure out how to send card to a non US address. OMG. They are deactivating current card, thankfully I still have visa for Marriott stays...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Wife's upgrade offer recently changed from 15K bonus to 100K so we bit the bullet just now. How long does it take for the card to be upgraded? My wife wants to buy some expensive stuff later today, but I want to make sure it counts towards the $5k required.

And is it correct to assume that because it is an upgrade offer, she is eligible even though she has chase marriott visa's and thus couldn't get the bonus on a new card.
From what I recall, the upgrade happened instantly. Look at your online profile. My card switched to the luxury card almost immediately.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:19 am

Has anyone gained a status upgrade from the new luxury card? I have shown as earning Platinum Elite on 2 statements now (8/24 and 9/23) and they still can't process me as PE.

I start a week stay today and wanted PE benefits at the hotel.

I'm curious if anyone has been granted the status offered by the Card, Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I upgraded a couple weeks back.

For reasons unknown to me, they sent my wife a new physical card, but not me! We've tried and failed to activate hers, and now she can't use the card at all. The customer support line says it's active, but it does not work anywhere at all. We've called three times.

They did *not* send me a new card, and my old purple SPG Amex still works fine. Yesterday I got a note in the mail saying I won't get a new Luxury card until some time in the future.

I want to keep the card - the $300 credit + free night is worth greater than $450 to me - but it's frustrating that Amex has bungled the creation of this card so badly.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ckelly14
From what I recall, the upgrade happened instantly. Look at your online profile. My card switched to the luxury card almost immediately.
I expected it to be almost immediate, but it is now about 8 hours later and the card still says "SPG Preferred Guest". And I forgot to get a screen shot of the upgrade offer. Stupid me. Maybe they noticed that upgrade was initiated from Europe (where we are today) and was in middle of night US time and that got them a bit suspicious. Or maybe they wonder why she got a new AMEX SPG Business Card right before the new bonus restrictions went into effect and now is asking for the personal card upgrade to Luxury.

We'll see.......
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by cujo2344
Has anyone gained a status upgrade from the new luxury card? I have shown as earning Platinum Elite on 2 statements now (8/24 and 9/23) and they still can't process me as PE.

I start a week stay today and wanted PE benefits at the hotel.

I'm curious if anyone has been granted the status offered by the Card, Thanks!
Called in myself regarding getting the PE status reflected in my account after statements saying I'd attained it but agent gave up trying to change it and said there was no way to overide the system and that it would take 14-16 weeks!

We both agreed it was crazy that it didn't happen as soon as it was eligable to be printed on your statement but seems there is no work around.

I also have an upcoming trip which would have been great to get the PE perks on.

Oh well...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Called in myself regarding getting the PE status reflected in my account after statements saying I'd attained it but agent gave up trying to change it and said there was no way to overide the system and that it would take 14-16 weeks!

We both agreed it was crazy that it didn't happen as soon as it was eligable to be printed on your statement but seems there is no work around.

I also have an upcoming trip which would have been great to get the PE perks on.

Oh well...
I spent 30 + minutes on hold to talk to each. Both said the other was responsible, SPG said AMEX has to send the information that includes the upgraded status, AMEX said we sent the info to SPG they have to look at it and grant the upgrade. It's like my 4 year old twins childishly pointing the finger at each other and not taking responsibility. 3 months for this to happen is ridiculous when we lose out on significant benefits. UGH
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cujo2344
I spent 30 + minutes on hold to talk to each. Both said the other was responsible, SPG said AMEX has to send the information that includes the upgraded status, AMEX said we sent the info to SPG they have to look at it and grant the upgrade. It's like my 4 year old twins childishly pointing the finger at each other and not taking responsibility. 3 months for this to happen is ridiculous when we lose out on significant benefits. UGH
Agree this is obnoxious. I'm in same boat waiting to get upgraded to Plat. Amex and SPG presumably have the similar upgrade process to Gold working - since that has been a benefit of the old SPG Amex card for years. How can this take so long?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by nobody2
Agree this is obnoxious. I'm in same boat waiting to get upgraded to Plat. Amex and SPG presumably have the similar upgrade process to Gold working - since that has been a benefit of the old SPG Amex card for years. How can this take so long?
Same here. I was told it would take 14-16 weeks as well. Ridiculous. I'm going to post in on the Starwood board to see if the lurkers there have any thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.