FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:56 pm
nit407

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Online, I'm seeing the 15K bonus to upgrade my current card. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help with:
  1. My anniversary month is January. So that leaves about 5 months left. So I'm guessing I would only have to pay around half the $450 annual fee, correct?
  2. And as soon as I upgrade, I will be able to use the $300 credit for charges at Marriott hotels? So I would essentially be paying about $225 to get a $300 credit (not counting if I get back anything from my legacy card annual fee.)
  3. Come January, I will have to pay the full annual fee of $450, but I would get another $300 credit, a 50K cert, correct? Note I'm LTPP, so I don't really care about the night credits or the Gold/Plat elite status possible upgrades.
If I'm correct, then my options are to either upgrade which nets me $75 and 15K points. Or apply for a new card with -$150 out of pocket ($450 - $300) but I get 100K points (that is the offer I see for applying for as a new card.)
Will the $300 credit apply before or after paying the prorated annual fee? I upgraded to the new card, but the prorated annual fee hasn't got the account yet. It initially said annual fee will hit in approx 45 days from the upgraded date. I am a bit confused on this...