Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
New Tier Names. This applies to Lifetime naming as well.

Platinum Premier Elite becomes Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite . (75 nights)
Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador becomes Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite. (100 nights + $20,000 spend)
Print Wikipost

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Has it been confirmed if Lifetime Titanium is an attainable status? Stay 'x' more nights and 'x' more yrs to get to it.
Nope. At the moment (Marriott can always change the rules ), only those who met the requirements for Lifetime PP (which is soon to be called LT Titanium) by the end of 2018 will receive the LTPP or LTT status.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by KRSW
Re: the meetmarriottbonvoy.marriott.com website -- who the hell designed this? The visual effects are terribly annoying and it gives no information! I'm at work, so I'm sure as hell not going to be playing a video at work. Obviously whoever designs this stuff has never been a business traveler or worked in a proper office.
There's this Australian TV series I'd torre found on the Internet called "Utopia", and if anyone here's seen it (and I recommend it if you can find it) the whole thing has a "Rhonda and Karsten" feel to it, for sure.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
This is nuts: titanium much cheaper than platinum

Today gold is about $1300 /ounce, platinum about $800/ounce, and titanium is $26 per pound! So how can the new Titanium Elites be above Platinums which are above Golds? Very nutty.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Who cares?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think of it terms of hardness of the metals. Titanium is harder than Platinum is harder than Gold.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by trog
You would think after the IT breach and the botched merging of the programs Marriott would send an encouraging positive message to its loyal customers to start the new year.

Well, unfortunately this was not the case. The email sent on Wednesday contained not one, not two, but three and possibly four pieces of unpleasant news/reminders of unpleasant upcoming changes.

2. Renaming the two tiers above Platinum is great for people who are in the two tiers above Platinum. For people who have lifetime Platinum status, not so great. I don’t travel much for business any more so I was hoping that lifetime Plat status would be useful for at least a couple of vacations a year. If this status continues to be degraded into an inferior status level and no higher lifetime status will now be available, this really is not positive news.

Sure, some people may still like to travel 75 nights a year when they are 70 or 80 years old, but a meaningful lifetime status level would be nice for many people.
Define "meaningful."

Right now the only advantage of PP/Titanium over Platinum is the 48-hour guarantee and more points, and the only advantage of Ambassador over PP/Titanium (which was never available as a LT status to begin with) is the Ambassador and Your24. Presumably upgrade priority as well, but that's hit or miss even with the higher statuses.

I'm guessing most think that the most "meaningful" benefits of Platinum are Lounge Access, guaranteed late checkout and the Platinum Welcome Gift/breakfast. I guess I could see possible changes to the late checkout and Platinum Welcome Gift policies, but I can't imagine they will take away lounge access, if so there would be mass hysteria especially if one still can't achieve a higher LT status level.

How exactly has Platinum status been "degraded" anyway? If you were coming from legacy Marriott, the 50-night level (now Platinum, was Gold) is actually better - by getting the Platinum Welcome gift and guaranteed late checkout which the old Gold did not have.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
The outrageous thing to me about the travel packages is how they flat out lied for months about how the transition would happen. And did so quite intentionally. I'll not trust them again-just this week we had another example of the lies with the 75 night free night certs being changed to 2019 validity for selections Dec 31.

Edit: And the breakfast lies. And the upgrade lies.
No blackout dates.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:03 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Perhaps Diamond perhaps is a better Tier name than Titanium. Ambassador Elite is fine.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I haven't read much lately that has to do with Bonvoy.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
There are other measures than a material's cost per a unit of weight.

There's color. Titanium is a lustrous metallic-white.

There's strength. Titanium is renowned for its strength-to-weight ratio.

There's how it's used. Titanium has many high-tech uses.

If Marriott were designating metals for four progressively higher elite levels from scratch, we'd probably have bronze, silver, gold, and platinum. But with silver, gold, and platinum already in place, titanium makes sense.

Rhodium would have been another choice. I assume Marriott considered it and rejected it.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
What's "discernable" to you? You can view side by side benefit charts on the website. As a PPE, the only thing I've noticed as different since they introduced it, is that they still thank me for being Platinum at check-in. Which is perfectly fine with me as long as I get the benefits to which I'm entitled -- and I have.

You're right that there aren't huge benefit differences that are visible. A PPE should get more room upgrades, but how would you know unless you travel with a Platinum person everywhere you go? Personally, I'm not sure why there need to be huge differences...and the way that usually happens is a company devalues the lower tier rather than adds value to the upper tier, and I wouldn't want any tier to lose benefits.

Platinum = LT Platinum. Platinum Premier = LT Titanium.

Not saying this applies to you, but a number of people seem to be confused about Platinum. That status still exists, as does the corresponding LT status. There are no NEW changes to this 50-74 night status. All the changes are the 75 night and above statuses.
what I meant was, there isn’t much of a difference in benefits between platinum elite & platinum Premier elite, other than an additional 25% points bonus.

in my opinion, the bump in benefits is not worth staying an additional 25 nights. I’d much rather move those 25 nights to Hyatt, especially with their new milestone rewards (cat 1-4 free night cert after 30 nights & cat 1-7 free night cert after 60 nights)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:35 pm

i still have not received the email from marriott that went out to others the other day regarding bonvoy. can someone post it?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Today gold is about $1300 /ounce, platinum about $800/ounce, and titanium is $26 per pound! So how can the new Titanium Elites be above Platinums which are above Golds? Very nutty.
On Monday I'll board an aircraft for a long flight over the Pacific. The titanium in that aircraft will be much more valuable to me than gold...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
And all those carbon black cards. Carbon = coal, which sells for $30 or so a ton. Yet, Amex treats the black card as higher up than the plat or gold.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:28 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And all those carbon black cards. Carbon = coal, which sells for $30 or so a ton. Yet, Amex treats the black card as higher up than the plat or gold.
It's off topic. The Centurion card is made of anodized titanium I recall - not carbon.

The Chase J.P. Morgan Palladium Card for the rich people is made of brass with a layer or rare earth Palladium plating

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.