Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
New Tier Names. This applies to Lifetime naming as well.

Platinum Premier Elite becomes Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite . (75 nights)
Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador becomes Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite. (100 nights + $20,000 spend)
Print Wikipost

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is it only me or does the Marriott-released video promoting Bonvoy mispronounce Marriott? It pronounces Marriott as "merri-yacht" whereas I've always understood -- and heard Marriott corporate -- pronounce it as "merry-itt"
I always thought that the last syllable was pronounced "ott" as in otter (the animal) but not accented. I don't see any reason to introduce the Y as in yacht (unless you're a fan of the Bravo reality show Below Deck).
bigshooter likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin

This isn’t news; Marriott had announced last summer that the new Lifetime Plat Premier status (now to be called Lifetime Titanium) would only be offered once—with that sweep coming sometime this month or perhaps around the Feb 13 introduction of the new Bonvoy program. This Lifetime Titanium level was never to be offered again.

Chances are good that the bulk of Lifetime Titanium members are older and are expected to not be a significant proportion of Marriott Bonvoy elites in the coming years. So the fact that one can only attain Lifetime Titanium status based on pre-2019 qualifications might not make much of a difference after another 5-10 years or so. Marriott is counting on that, I’m sure, and has done the statistical analysis to feel comfortable with that.

Other than getting a few more points (negligible), having suite upgrade potential at Ritz-Carlton/Edition (which doesn’t seem to happen much anyway), and having suite upgrade priority over regular Platinums (which would happen with regular Ambassador and Titanium guests, anyway), I don’t think it’s going to be that big a deal in the end.
That's great news: Starriott has decided that I don't matter as I'm going to die soon anyway. I thought Titanium was supposed to be this super strong metal...

OTOH, I find it amusing that I first got an email announcing BonVoy saying that as LTPP I'll become LTT from my SPG account and then another email five hours later saying that PPwithAmb will turn into Ambassador status for me (from my MR account).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:52 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by High Technology
Wow, I guess the PR firm didn’t do much research on the value of precious metals, and how titanium is used in marketing perquisites. While titanium is very durable, it is often likened to steel, and falls below silver in value (much less platinum). Last I looked, it was a few dollars per ounce.

I can tell you that when two people are talking, and one says “I’m Gold, how about you since you travel more than I do”, and the other says “I’m Titanium”, the next comment is likely to be a bit of embarrassment on the part of the Gold for bragging. That, or, “I think I had a coffee table made out of titanium and glass in the early90s...”

Frankly, I don’t care what they call it... if it’s nights that matter, they can call it Bonvoy 25, 50, 75, 100 for all I care. But to many people the status name matters, and titanium is not a precious metal.
Plutonium would have been a much more appropriate level...
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Waiting for Bon Jovi to sue Bonvoy or was he the mastermind?
yule_boy likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV
There are no substantive changes to the program that members know and love.

Rest assured, your Elite status and benefits will remain the same. The only thing that may change is the name of your Elite tier.
Just what I had thought:
So my status will continue to be wrong, stays will occasionally post (to be fair, they post more often than not). There will be no customer service worth talking of (or to) - the program we came to know.

I was hoping for substantive changes - like the program working. Guess too much to hope for
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's great news: Starriott has decided that I don't matter as I'm going to die soon anyway. I thought Titanium was supposed to be this super strong metal...

OTOH, I find it amusing that I first got an email announcing BonVoy saying that as LTPP I'll become LTT from my SPG account and then another email five hours later saying that PPwithAmb will turn into Ambassador status for me (from my MR account).
There was an email? Once again I miss the party.
JK likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hotelboy

i have only had great customer service from Marriott
where you cryogenically frozen for the last year and they just thawed you up?
That said, good for you if you had great customer service. I had times where I had none at all - eventually it turned into bad with CS reps seemingly not having enough authority to go to the bathroom by themselves.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I don't like Bonvoy name but hate the moniker Starriott. Makes me cringe. Can people stop using it?
CCIE_Flyer and txpenny like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
There's a new verified twitter feed out.

https://twitter.com/marriottbonvoy

Only 160 followers so far. I wonder what it will be a month from now?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonvoy - New name for Marriott Rewards - new gaffe

COMING FEBRUARY 13

Say hello to Marriott Bonvoy™ — the new name for Marriott Rewards®, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® and SPG®. The benefits you love with a fresh new perspective.

Let’s look at that:

Bon - French for good (an affirmative, such as “OK” or “alrighty”)

Voy - Spanish for I go/I’m going (but widely used in the same way as in English “I’m coming”)

I look at Bonvoy™ and what I see is an expression of the feelings voiced by many contributors to this forum:
Right, I’m off!™
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Even to spell out and say the whole thing - Bon Voyage - would have been better.
Thanks Eujeanie - I was think hard to get the origin of Bonvoy - even being familiar with French I didn't make the link, now it actually doesn't sound that strange anymore
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Thanks to FT, I was already aware of the things in the official email I got from Marriott introducing Bonvoy (Titanium status, etc.) However, one thing struck me: "More information about your current Credit Card will be coming soon. " I have the old Marriott Rewards Visa (i.e. the elite night credit for every 3K in spend.) My initial assumption was, of course, they will be rebranding it to say Bonvoy. However, my well-founded feeling that changes rarely benefit the consumer make me wonder what other "information" they will be sending me!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:21 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by damon88
[left]

(And I LOVE the fact that they are distinguishing Plat75 and Plat100 as separate levels.
they were... already doing that
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by bhrubin
We all can think of brand names that are meaningless nonsense words. Because tons of them were and are! We’re just used to many now because they’ve existed for enough time. Google. Yahoo. EBay. Expedia. Travelocity. Napster. Priceline. Kayak. Microsoft. Verizon. Starbucks.
Some of your examples are genuinely random and meaningless: Yahoo, Kayak, and Napster. But most have easily discernible word roots that allude to the company's core mission / values. Travelocity? They modified "travel" with a suffix that refers to speed (velocity). Verizon is a euphonious blend of words signifying truth (veritas) and vision / distance (horizon). Even if you don't make the conscious connection, your subconscious language processor does.

Google refers to a very high number. And so on. The majority of corporate coinages are not pure nonsense.

Bonvoy is not total nonsense, with a buried / corrupted allusion to bon voyage, but it's close enough. It defies common sense because hotels are about arrivals, but you say "bon voyage" to someone departing. (It's not a greeting, or message of hospitality; it's a goodbye.) The coinage is too easily read as a corruption of "envoy," confusing the intent, and Envoy is a brand for too many other things (a GM vehicle, a home-services app, various travel agencies, the AA regional carrier). So Bonvoy sounds neither intuitive nor unique, in the way a good coinage like "Verizon" does.

Finally, in this game you have to worry about unintended / negative allusions. Bonvoy is perilously close in "mouth feel" to Bon Ami, which is a household cleanser and not a good allusion for nice hotels. Or Bonomo, or Bok Choy, or Bon Jovi, or Bono, or Bonjour (which is a brand for printer networking software, but which might actually have been better for Marriott in this case). And your quick-reading mind, if it doesn't catch the well-obscured "bon voyage" allusion, can truncate Bonvoy to "boy" or "good boy," which makes it -- and Marriott -- sound juvenile. As I said upthread, my first reaction to hearing "Bonvoy" was that it's entirely useless for signifying hotels, loyalty, travel, etc. but would be a good name for a line of designer clothes for children. It also kind of sounds like a candy bar to me, but maybe just because I grew up with Bonomo Turkish Taffy.

I have done my share of corporate nomenclature work. It is shocking how stupid and arbitrary and regrettable some big decisions are in this space.

Last edited by BearX220; Jan 17, 2019 at 6:57 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Additional oddities: For DECADES people have tossed off "Titanium" as a joke level of status in various frequent traveler programs. It's been used as a DYKWIA reference in comedy sketches worldwide. What does Marriott do? Appropriate a joke status level.

I eagerly await Cubic Zirconium level as the lowest tier.
BearX220 and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.