Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Keyser
but we haven't come to a conclusion whether it sucks or not....
The conclusion is that almost all Bonvoy full service properties in NYC suck, some more than others.

There is a reason that the Lexington, Maxwell, and Ren 57 can often be significantly cheaper than the others. Alas, when traveling on OPM, I will occasionally stay at those three even though I have preferences.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Some
Would most people would consider the Times Square EDITION to be a better choice than any of the NYC W hotels? Are any of the 4 star NYC properties particular standouts?

Haven't stayed with Marriott in NYC before and struggling slightly with the choices, not a fan of Times Square area but I don't really want to pay the crazy prices the St. Regis / RC / Chatwal are asking for somewhere I'll be staying for well below 24 hours.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Would most people would consider the Times Square EDITION to be a better choice than any of the NYC W hotels? Are any of the 4 star NYC properties particular standouts?

Haven't stayed with Marriott in NYC before and struggling slightly with the choices, not a fan of Times Square area but I don't really want to pay the crazy prices the St. Regis / RC / Chatwal are asking for somewhere I'll be staying for well below 24 hours.
Why not Essex House? Or Ren midtown for a very short stay.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

The Times Square Edition seems to be getting generally favorable reviews but the rooms are supposed to be tiny! If room size is not that important for you on a one night stay then I might try it if it's significantly cheaper than the St.R/RC/Chatwal. Not sure if you are an elite or not but the benefits at Edition hotels are also not the same as the other brands so I would familiarize yourself with those if they are important to you.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

I've only hit the bar at the Times Square Edition but it seemed nice, although my date thought it was a little on the snooty side. I've read the reviews and would think about staying there.

My choices in the mid range full service, depending on rates, would normally be W Union Square (not the other W's), Edition (I've stayed in the original one), the Ren Midtown, of the JW.. I've had good experiences in all four in terms of upgrades, nice staff, and elite recognition and think the properties are all in good shape.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why not Essex House? Or Ren midtown for a very short stay.
I have something of a pathological dislike of the JWM brand so had mentally ruled out Essex House, is it better than a standard JWM (i.e. not a slightly dated Marriott at higher prices)? Ren Midtown looks interesting.

Originally Posted by christianj
The Times Square Edition seems to be getting generally favorable reviews but the rooms are supposed to be tiny! If room size is not that important for you on a one night stay then I might try it if it's significantly cheaper than the St.R/RC/Chatwal. Not sure if you are an elite or not but the benefits at Edition hotels are also not the same as the other brands so I would familiarize yourself with those if they are important to you.
Yeah I'd noticed they were small but I'm travelling solo and would generally prioritize a comfy bed and spotlessly clean / new above space for a quick stay like this. Have stayed at EDITIONs before so know not to expect too much on the elite benefits front.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've only hit the bar at the Times Square Edition but it seemed nice, although my date thought it was a little on the snooty side. I've read the reviews and would think about staying there.

My choices in the mid range full service, depending on rates, would normally be W Union Square (not the other W's), Edition (I've stayed in the original one), the Ren Midtown, of the JW.. I've had good experiences in all four in terms of upgrades, nice staff, and elite recognition and think the properties are all in good shape.
One of the EDITION, Ren Midtown or Essex House it sounds like it is then on consensus. Pricing for my dates is Ren Midtown < EDITION < Essex House so inclined to give the Ren a try.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The practical issue is that there are few Bonvoy hotels in NYC that would survive in Kansas City. Service is often poor, elite recognition is minimal, and a host of other reasons.

That being said having stayed at almost every NYC Bonvoy full service property multiple times, the only Bonvoy hotels in NYC that I think could survive outside of NYC are the W Union Square, Editions,JW Essex House, and Renn Midtown. I'm sure others will throw in the St.R. and RC Central Park, but which wouldn't survive because of pricing even if the otherwise meet appropriate service standards. Maybe I'm missing something but because of pricing, I'll sometimes stay at the Lexington, Marriott East Side, Marriott Times Square, Renn Times Square, Maxwell. I'll always avoid the Sheraton TS and the Renn 57 and based on the reports here, the LM.

London is a big city with the same cost and staffing pressures as NYC but Bonvoy properties there seem to be just fine ...
Not too sure what KC has to do with hotels in NYC, but OK.

I've stayed at the Renn57 (a complete joke) and Residence Inn (Midtown), I'll take the RI over the Renn57 any day. Yeah, the room was small, but the service was good and the breakfast was good (except for Sat.) I normally stay at the IC TS, love the location, and easy access to the subway, I usually get upgraded to a corner room which is bigger than a standard room.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Not too sure what KC has to do with hotels in NYC, but OK.

I've stayed at the Renn57 (a complete joke) and Residence Inn (Midtown), I'll take the RI over the Renn57 any day. Yeah, the room was small, but the service was good and the breakfast was good (except for Sat.) I normally stay at the IC TS, love the location, and easy access to the subway, I usually get upgraded to a corner room which is bigger than a standard room.
I picked KC as a random US city. To be a little more clear, the majority of Bonvoy full service hotels in NYC would go out of business in any almost any other city because of poor service, failure to follow program requirements, failure to meet brand standards, crappy service culture, etc.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:52 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

Honestly in NYC I avoid Marriott. The Andaz 5th Ave is my favorite hotel, and can be reasonably priced.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:55 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I have something of a pathological dislike of the JWM brand so had mentally ruled out Essex House, is it better than a standard JWM (i.e. not a slightly dated Marriott at higher prices)? Ren Midtown looks interesting.

Yeah I'd noticed they were small but I'm travelling solo and would generally prioritize a comfy bed and spotlessly clean / new above space for a quick stay like this. Have stayed at EDITIONs before so know not to expect too much on the elite benefits front.
If you're ok with limited service / lower-end properties, the AC and Moxy TS are both new and in very good shape, with hip dining/drinking scene. Small rooms, especially at Moxy. Not much in the way of elite benefits. I happily return to both of these.

I hear the Chelsea Moxy is great too but have yet to visit.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by helvetic
If you're ok with limited service / lower-end properties, the AC and Moxy TS are both new and in very good shape, with hip dining/drinking scene. Small rooms, especially at Moxy. Not much in the way of elite benefits. I happily return to both of these.

I hear the Chelsea Moxy is great too but have yet to visit.
I'm totally ok with limited service and lower-end properties. I guess Holiday Inn Express (I know it's IHG) counts as limited service and lower-end? If so, I didn't think it was bad at all for a solo traveller like me. I can see why it could be an issue if travelling with a gf or a spouse. In your opinion, are the AC and Moxy TS good value in terms of cost and location? If I were to spend points, where should I stay in terms of location and points required for redemption?

Thx.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:06 pm

I booked Residence Inn on Broadway on points. Category 5, great location, weekend stay in October.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm totally ok with limited service and lower-end properties. I guess Holiday Inn Express (I know it's IHG) counts as limited service and lower-end? If so, I didn't think it was bad at all for a solo traveller like me. I can see why it could be an issue if travelling with a gf or a spouse. In your opinion, are the AC and Moxy TS good value in terms of cost and location? If I were to spend points, where should I stay in terms of location and points required for redemption?

Thx.
If it were me and using points, I would pick one of the Cat 4 hotels in Fidi or LIC. I am not a fan of the TS area in general, and I don’t think an extra 10k a night is worth it for a Midtown location, when the subway is quick and easy. The AC TS is fine but probably not my first Cat 5 choice. I’d probably go with one of the RIs or one of hotels in Chelsea. There is a new Autograph Collection in Weehawken that is a Cat 5, which is somewhat intriguing to me, but the ferry to Hudson Yards is not as convenient (or as cheap) as the subway.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

If it were me and using points, I would pick one of the Cat 4 hotels in Fidi or LIC. I am not a fan of the TS area in general, and I don’t think an extra 10k a night is worth it for a Midtown location, when the subway is quick and easy. The AC TS is fine but probably not my first Cat 5 choice. I’d probably go with one of the RIs or one of hotels in Chelsea. There is a new Autograph Collection in Weehawken that is a Cat 5, which is somewhat intriguing to me, but the ferry to Hudson Yards is not as convenient (or as cheap) as the subway.
I've kind of settled down on the flights that I like to take to and from NYC. I prefer AC 548 to EWR and then fly out from JFK with CX865. This allows me to maximize my time there. I've done this a few times already. Unless I'm mistaken, it would be ideal to stay in midtown since I can just take the E to the AirTrain station.

The problem with Weehawken is the fee since MTA weekly pass won't cover it. I did still go to Weehawken on my last trip for the views, which was outstanding on a sunny day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.