Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Moxy Chelsea

A one night stay here as I experiment around hotels in NYC to find one I actually love. During my last trip, thought I would give this one a try as it was convenient to some meetings and cheaper on points than other options.

The Good
- Room was well insulated from other rooms (still road noise, but hey, it’s NYC).
- Bed was very comfortable. AC worked great. Nice water pressure.
- Design was modern, hip and comfortable. I liked that the hotel was fairly new and not dinged up.
- Pretty solid fitness center in the basement. Well lit, thoughtful design, high ceilings. Free weights, resistance machines, rowing, bikes, elliptical and treadmills. I went at 9pm and there were only a few people.
- Check-in and housekeeping staff were very friendly.
- A chit (or 2 if two people) for a free glass of Prosecco to enjoy in the nice lounge/bar

The Bad (or at least disappointing)
- No Titanium recognition whatsoever. Check in did not ask about preferred amenity. When I pushed for F&B chits, she gave some. No upgrade offered, not even a high floor. I didn’t push because I don’t think this hotel even has different size rooms.
- F&B vouchers for $8 instead of breakfast. Felt kinda cheap considering an omelette was $14 and avocado toast was $12.
- Service at restaurant was absolutely horrendous. For most of our time there, only one guy was working. Food was meh.
- Rooms are small, but I expected that being in NY. At least shower was a comfortable size and didn’t feel like I was in a prison. No desk/chair was a let-down — then I realized they were “hanging” on a rack and could be set up in the room. Strange, but I made do.

Overall, due to (1) poor breakfast benefit, (2) lack of upgrade possibilities (and generally tiny room), and (3) overall Titanium recognition, I probably won’t return. If I did, it would be for the great gym (at this price point). My search for a perfect lower midrange Marriott property in NYC continues
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

I just finished a stay at the Renaissance Midtown, and I would highly recommend it. It's very close to Penn Station.

Was just here for 5 nights which included a weekend stay.

Loved the location, it's an easy walk to subway station, and lots of little places to eat.
Check in was a breeze, however, no mention of me being PLT, and no upgrade, we got a studio which was small, but did like the fact that it had a regular size refrig, microwave and everything you need to cook.
Daily breakfast is just OK, the weekend it's a freak'n zoo, they can't keep up with the demand, for food or clean plates and the quality of food is just OK, by far the worst food for a RI. It rained while we were there and they do not have umbrellas to loan out, but you can purchase some. The staff was always friendly and had a smile. Lots of Bonvoy hotels with in a block of this hotel.

Next visit to NYC, will be a ex Sheraton hotel for the lounge access.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Has anyone stayed at Fairfield Inn & Suites North Bergen? It's a cat 3 in the NYC area.

Otherwise, any recommendations for a cat 4 property in NYC for a weekend stay this month? Looking for elite member recognition (upgrade) and decent location for exploring NYC!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jetplane86
Has anyone stayed at Fairfield Inn & Suites North Bergen? It's a cat 3 in the NYC area.

Otherwise, any recommendations for a cat 4 property in NYC for a weekend stay this month? Looking for elite member recognition (upgrade) and decent location for exploring NYC!
i stayed here for a night earlier this year as i needed to be in the bergen area....

connectivity to manhattan is not good & i would not stay here unless i needed to be in this area....
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
I'll be taking semi-frequent trips to NYC for a bit am looking at what mid-budget hotel I should pick. I'll mostly need be in midtown for work and traveling solo. I'm platinum and it would be great if the room had a desk, but a "compact" room is fine otherwise. I don't know the neighborhoods super well, but a location with good coffee, bars and good cheap(ish) food nearby would be preferred. The following hotels seem to be frequently in my budget.
  • Four Points Chelsea
  • Maxwell
  • Renaissance 57
  • Sheraton Times Square
  • Four Points Times Square
  • Sheraton Tribeca

Any thoughts on which would be best? I've read reviews of most properties but its hard to compare. For example the Maxwell has poor reviews, but is it really a bad choice compared to a 4P?

Last edited by doctor15; Jul 25, 2019 at 7:35 pm Reason: spacing
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by doctor15
I'll be taking semi-frequent trips to NYC for a bit am looking at what mid-budget hotel I should pick. I'll mostly need be in midtown for work and traveling solo. I'm platinum and it would be great if the room had a desk, but a "compact" room is fine otherwise. I don't know the neighborhoods super well, but a location with good coffee, bars and good cheap(ish) food nearby would be preferred. The following hotels seem to be frequently in my budget.
  • Four Points Chelsea
  • Maxwell
  • Renaissance 57
  • Sheraton Times Square
  • Sheraton Tribeca

Any thoughts on which would be best? I've read reviews of most properties but its hard to compare. For example the Maxwell has poor reviews, but is it really a bad choice compared to a 4P?
The Sheraton Tribeca is not really midtown, but its location on the edge of TriBeca (and relatively close to West Village) is pretty good for food and bars, etc. Chelsea is also a good location, although I might choose the Moxy over the Four Points. The other hotels on your list are, in my opinion, in somewhat less interesting areas. Times Square is a dead zone for any sort of interesting food, although it is relatively close to Hells Kitchen. I've only stayed at the Maxwell when it was a W. My experiences weren't terrible, but the rooms are definitely small. I would choose that over the Four Points (but I'm not a fan of the Four Points Times Square). The location of the Maxwell is not particularly interesting—although if you walk over to Second Ave, there will be more bars, restaurants, etc.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
  • Four Points Chelsea
  • Maxwell
  • Renaissance 57
  • Sheraton Times Square
  • Sheraton Tribeca

i stay at the four points midtown times square 3-4 times every year....my main reason for staying here is proximity to my client's office but it meets the requirements you are looking for....its close enough to times square in the sense that you can get there in a 5-7 minute walk yet its far enough to be away from the zoo of people you would always find in this area....

i would stay away from maxwell & sheraton times square....sheraton tribeca is ok but not really in midtown....i've only stayed at the renaissance 57 once for a short one night stay but found nothing wrong with the property....

the four points in chelsea is also fine....i've stayed here a few times & also have an upcoming stay here next month....nothing wrong with the property & it also meets the requirements you are looking for....
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:13 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Agreed that TriBeCa is not close enough to walk, but it is a 3 minute walk to the A/C/E subway trains that will get you to midtown quickly.

Lounge has decent b'fast options (2 hot entrees, usually), and evening snacks. And the outdoor patio from the lounge on the 22nd floor has great views.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Thanks all! Sounds like I should stick with the 4P Chelsea. I may try out the Maxwell for a trip to see if its worth being a less desirable area.

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Chelsea is also a good location, although I might choose the Moxy over the Four Points..
Ya the moxy looked nice, except I read the desk is hanging on the wall. Doesn't sound ideal for getting some work done.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ya the moxy looked nice, except I read the desk is hanging on the wall. Doesn't sound ideal for getting some work done.
its not as bad as it sounds....once the desk folds out, its as comfortable to use as any regular desk....
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Thanks all! Sounds like I should stick with the 4P Chelsea. I may try out the Maxwell for a trip to see if its worth being a less desirable area.

If you're willing to use the subway, there are lots of options. In general, all the affordable choices in Midtown are poor. But, I disagree about the comments about the location of the Maxwell. There are lots of places to eat and drink within a 10-15 minute walk. You just need to head over toward 2d and a lot of the cross streets. Additionally, if you're looking for a budget friendly property in Midtown, consider the Lexington. I don't like how they treat elites and the hotel is subpar among Autographs but probably comparable to the other places you are mentioning. It also sometimes has very low rates and is super convenient/
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
If you're willing to use the subway, there are lots of options. In general, all the affordable choices in Midtown are poor. But, I disagree about the comments about the location of the Maxwell. There are lots of places to eat and drink within a 10-15 minute walk. You just need to head over toward 2d and a lot of the cross streets.
Yeah, a lot of the bars and restaurants are going to be on or around Second Ave. I don’t think it’s that debatable that the area around the Maxwell is generally less interesting than Chelsea and the area around the Sheraton Tribeca. Although I think there’s an Irving Farm on 50th and Lex (or maybe 3rd) now, so there is at least one decent coffee place.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
its not as bad as it sounds....once the desk folds out, its as comfortable to use as any regular desk....
Agreed—although the desk space is somewhat limited. I guess that’s true of a lot of NYC hotel rooms, though.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:37 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
  • Four Points Chelsea
  • Maxwell
  • Renaissance 57
  • Sheraton Times Square
  • Sheraton Tribeca

None of the above. Why not Renaissance Midtown? Or if it must be one of these, the Four Points Chelsea would be my pick.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:43 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

The Moxy is fine, and I much prefer it to most of the options you listed. The room is small but the space is well utilized. I work from the common areas and it's a lively hip place.

Stay away from the Maxwell… it's pretty much the worst hotel in NYC. An absolute dump that makes even the horrible Sheraton and Westin Times Sq look alright by comparison. I'd rather stay in most Motel 8s than at the Maxwell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.