Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ryw
Does anyone know why the NY Marriott Downtown property closed its lounge? (Apologies if this is the wrong place; I couldn't find a property-specific master thread). When I was there in fall 2018, they still had a lounge on one of the top floors with weekday breakfast and evening appetizers & drinks. Plus it was nice to use the stupid "destination fee" toward drinks in the lounge, which lessened the sting of the fee. Also it feels like a loss since it was one of the few NYC Cat 5 properties with a lounge.
The 2/19 report was based presumably on a FTer posting in the exec lounge sticky or in this thread. I'd have to go check. I haven't contacted the NYC properties by phone to update yet. What's interesting is that when you click on rooms on the property's website there is no listing of a room with an exec lounge, but below the room descriptions it says upgrade to concierge level. So someone didn't update the website.

Since there isn't a master thread for the property (and NYC being a popular destination), I'll create one & hopefully you can provide your update from last autumn, along w/ your question.

Cheers.
ryw likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:14 pm

Sheraton Tribeca has a super cheap rate which is great!
Anyone has any recommendation for a relatively cheap marriott hotel with an awesome view?

Also, the Maxwell hotel thread has super conflicting reviews. Anyone stayed at the Maxwell recently?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by christianj
Westin that was the topic of the question is the Westin New York Grand Central so I think your comment on the location and not being awful was meant about the Westin TS which was not being discussed.
Originally Posted by helvetic
Oh that part was my bad, I thought I read the TS Westin which I find to be awful (the breakfast is an absolute joke, the hotel isn't ). I haven't stayed at the Grand Central Westin so can't speak to it.
Yep - apologies apparently missed the GC and assumed TS since AC was in the mix
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold Delta Silver Nexus
which RI is the most spacious?

Obviously I know in NYC that space is a premium - I am traveling with my whole family including little kids and a travel crib. The price differential for my dates in the summer are not significant to me between the three Residence Inn properties I’m looking at - Times Square (Bryant Square) vs Central Park vs Midtown East.

Given my main priority is “space” and secondarily subway proximity and convenience - any advice on which one to pick? Walking long distances on hot days with strollers and little kids is not fun, nor staying in a box room with multiple people.

We don’t have a set itinerary and will most likely visit Rose Center for Earth and Space museum - other than that - very open and flexible - and we have family and friends in the city.

Would appreciate any advice from FlyerTalk travelers who are familiar with the 3 properties - thanks!!!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cng545
Obviously I know in NYC that space is a premium - I am traveling with my whole family including little kids and a travel crib. The price differential for my dates in the summer are not significant to me between the three Residence Inn properties I’m looking at - Times Square (Bryant Square) vs Central Park vs Midtown East.
Central Park the rooms are small.

You might want to avoid TS area if you're concerned about crowded sidewalks.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:28 pm

Maxwell is, well, OK. Two 3-night stays over the last 3 weeks. The Whisky Blue bar is closed; I believe the Bliss Spa is closed as well. Did not use the gym.

Feels like the whole place needs a new coat of paint and shine-up. Not quite W-level fun and activity any more. But maybe a bit less attitude, which is nice.

If you love that location (as I do) it's better than the Westin Grand Central down the street.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by cng545

Given my main priority is “space” and secondarily subway proximity and convenience - any advice on which one to pick? Walking long distances on hot days with strollers and little kids is not fun, nor staying in a box room with multiple people.

We don’t have a set itinerary and will most likely visit Rose Center for Earth and Space museum - other than that - very open and flexible - and we have family and friends in the city.

Would appreciate any advice from FlyerTalk travelers who are familiar with the 3 properties - thanks!!!
We (me, wife, teenage kid) just spent three nights at the Residence Inn Midtown East (that's the one on E 48th st, right?) and got a corner 1 bedroom suite, and it worked well for us, it's pretty spacious by NYC standards. The breakfast was serviceable, but not great. The room was fine, we were on the 8th floor as I recall, the property was very clean and well maintained.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by wsm007
Maxwell is, well, OK. Two 3-night stays over the last 3 weeks. The Whisky Blue bar is closed; I believe the Bliss Spa is closed as well. Did not use the gym.

Feels like the whole place needs a new coat of paint and shine-up. Not quite W-level fun and activity any more. But maybe a bit less attitude, which is nice.

If you love that location (as I do) it's better than the Westin Grand Central down the street.
Super helpful review. Were u upgraded? What about breakfast?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:55 pm

Excellent questions -

I believe you can use the breakfast benefit if you eat in at the restaurant off the lobby (it's right off the elevators). I was with clients / out so did not have a chance to sample. (And FYI there are two Starbucks - one across the street and one just south - for grab-n-go).

I think I had booked a JR Suite that had a points bonus, so if there was any "upgrade" it might have been a better side of the hotel or higher floor etc.? Was across from the (gutted / rebuilding) Waldorf Astoria, so my view was construction workers sitting around all day lol!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:18 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Super helpful review. Were u upgraded? What about breakfast?
The Maxwell is a horrible dump. They rarely upgrade. Even someone who stays in mostly backpacker hostels wouldn't call t\heir version of a suite a suite. The breakfast is awful. Avoid.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
The Maxwell is a horrible dump. They rarely upgrade. Even someone who stays in mostly backpacker hostels wouldn't call t\heir version of a suite a suite. The breakfast is awful. Avoid.
Going to avoid!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:01 am

Marriott Manhattan Choices w Points

Need hotel Thursday the 16th and Saturday the 18th of May in Manhattan. Many at 35000 per night - 25000 in Long Island City

Since arriving late at JFK and just really need place to sleep might do Queens for Thursday

LIC has Courtyard, 4 Points for 25k on Thursday - though may even look for something little farther for less points as I am just sleeping then heading into city Friday morning

Saturday for Manhattan:
Fairfield downtown Henry is showing 25k,

At 35k choices seem to be
AC Hotels in Times Sq
Courtyard Central Park or 5th or Herald Sq or Soho or Times Sq
Element - Times Sq W - 32.5k
Several Fairfields
Several 4 points by Sheraton
Renaissance 57th
Several Sheratons
New SpringHill near Penn (32.5)
Maxwell on Lexington
New Town Place in Times Square

Also looking to burn IHG points but nothing decent less than 45k

Not sure on location, though midtown probably ideal - if anyone familiar could offer suggestions on hotels or getting better point values would be appreciated as new to using points

Last edited by jmsnyc; Apr 27, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Need hotel Thursday the 16th and Saturday the 18th of May in Manhattan. Many at 35000 per night - 25000 in Long Island City

Since arriving late at JFK and just really need place to sleep might do Queens for Thursday

LIC has Courtyard, 4 Points for 25k on Thursday - though may even look for something little farther for less points as I am just sleeping then heading into city Friday morning

Saturday for Manhattan:
Fairfield downtown Henry is showing 25k,

At 35k choices seem to be
AC Hotels in Times Sq
Courtyard Central Park or 5th or Herald Sq or Soho or Times Sq
Element - Times Sq W - 32.5k
Several Fairfields
Several 4 points by Sheraton
Renaissance 57th
Several Sheratons
New SpringHill near Penn (32.5)
Maxwell on Lexington
New Town Place in Times Square

Also looking to burn IHG points but nothing decent less than 45k

Not sure on location, though midtown probably ideal - if anyone familiar could offer suggestions on hotels or getting better point values would be appreciated as new to using points
I would first double check cash prices, especially for a Saturday night. Unless there is something going on, prices on weekends tend to be much lower than prices during the week.

The AC downtown is a Cat 4 property, and I'd recommend it. Downtown is quiet on weekends, but I actually prefer that to the tourist-clogged Times Square area. It's a shame that the RI on Broadway/Maiden Ln recently moved up to a Cat 5 property. The RI Midtown East is pretty good (better than the Maxwell, which used to be a W, up the street in my opinion). The Element TS is also solid.

But again, I'd double check cash prices for a weekend stay. Spending 35k points for ~$200 room seems like a bad deal, unless you have a lot of points and/or are cash-strapped.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I would first double check cash prices, especially for a Saturday night. Unless there is something going on, prices on weekends tend to be much lower than prices during the week.

The AC downtown is a Cat 4 property, and I'd recommend it. Downtown is quiet on weekends, but I actually prefer that to the tourist-clogged Times Square area. It's a shame that the RI on Broadway/Maiden Ln recently moved up to a Cat 5 property. The RI Midtown East is pretty good (better than the Maxwell, which used to be a W, up the street in my opinion). The Element TS is also solid.

But again, I'd double check cash prices for a weekend stay. Spending 35k points for ~$200 room seems like a bad deal, unless you have a lot of points and/or are cash-strapped.
Thanks. 4 points BY Sheraton I can get for $225 + tax through corporate rate. Otherwise rooms I think the rooms are $250ish and up + tax . Whenever I look to redeem points I never feel its a good value
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Thanks. 4 points BY Sheraton I can get for $225 + tax through corporate rate. Otherwise rooms I think the rooms are $250ish and up + tax . Whenever I look to redeem points I never feel its a good value
If I were redeeming points, I'd probably go with a Cat 4 down in the financial district, since I don't mind the quieter location. Like I said before, the AC Downtown (it's close to the Andaz) is decent. The Aloft and Courtyard in LIC are not bad options either, since they're basically on top of the Queens Plaza subway station. Or I'd splurge and spend 60,000 points for something like the Edition. (I should say I am particularly partial to modern/minimalist design.)

Spending 35,000 points for basically a place to sleep at night seems like really poor value to me. At that point, you're basically paying for the midtown location, which to me is not worth the extra 10,000 points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.