Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Those points haven't posted for anyone yet.

I have a 24 hr layover in NYC in early October. Not very familiar with the city but last time I was there, a friend took me for a walk along the High Line which I loved. I would do that again and some other touristy stuff, but no time for theatre. I will be flying in/out of JFK, but I think it should be fairly accessible to downtown via public transit.

I'm looking for a Cat 5 hotel with a decent lounge (will use a free night cert as the prices are insane for my dates). What I've come up with so far are:

Sheraton Times Sq (annoyed by $25 destination fee)
Renaissance 57
Sheraton Tribeca
Marriott Downtown (not sure about location and there is $15 destination fee)

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
another option i would recommend is the element....i primarily stay here for 2 reasons....i can walk to my client's office in under 5 minutes & the room sizes are decent given that they all come with a kitchen....but the other things going for it is that the location is decent....not in times square but close enough....they have free breakfast....evening happy hour where they serve wine & snacks....no destination fee....

they do have a problem with wait times for elevators during breakfast but i counter that by asking for a room on one of the lower floors....
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Keyser
another option i would recommend is the element....i primarily stay here for 2 reasons....i can walk to my client's office in under 5 minutes & the room sizes are decent given that they all come with a kitchen....but the other things going for it is that the location is decent....not in times square but close enough....they have free breakfast....evening happy hour where they serve wine & snacks....no destination fee....

they do have a problem with wait times for elevators during breakfast but i counter that by asking for a room on one of the lower floors....
Horrible elevators, beat up rooms and a zoo like breakfast with virtually no replenishment is all I have experienced at the element. I personally would rather stay at the Four Points by Sheraton TS or dare I even say the Sheraton TS..... but YMMV.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by christianj
Horrible elevators, beat up rooms and a zoo like breakfast with virtually no replenishment is all I have experienced at the element. I personally would rather stay at the Four Points by Sheraton TS or dare I even say the Sheraton TS..... but YMMV.
the four points does not have free breakfast or a lounge/happy hour....the sheraton is a zoo at breakfast as well....

i'm an early riser so i get in for breakfast early & there is never a rush....as far as the elevators are concerned, like i said before. i always ask for a room on a lower floor so i just use the stairs....i've never received a beat up room & as a plat i've always gotten a corner room (sometimes even a suite) which tend to be a bit larger....

it is by no means my favourite property in the area but practical for my needs so i stay here often....
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I'm looking for a Cat 5 hotel with a decent lounge (will use a free night cert as the prices are insane for my dates). What I've come up with so far are:

Sheraton Times Sq (annoyed by $25 destination fee)

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
I stay at the Sheraton TS 2-3 times a year as my company holds an annual event there and I'm in a few times prior for planning. As noted, the lounge is nice with a nice view of 7th Avenue, but gets packed at peak times and the elevators can add 5 minutes getting too/from your room. Also, I've seen the check-in line literally be 40 guests long (line at Elite desk maybe 5-7 guests). So expect crowds - everywhere. The rooms themselves are ok; I've never encountered any dis-repair or cleanliness issues.

I have been successful in "rejecting" the Destination Fee as I think the T&Cs say you can refuse it. I just tell the check-in clerk who then checks with a Supervisor.

Beyond that, the location is great as you're near both Times Square and Central Park.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bosman
I have been successful in "rejecting" the Destination Fee as I think the T&Cs say you can refuse it. I just tell the check-in clerk who then checks with a Supervisor.
Destination fees are not optional. If they waived it, it was a cs gesture.

Beyond that, the location is great as you're near both Times Square and Central Park.
I can't imagine calling a TS location "great" unless you enjoy pushing your way through thousands of tourists blocking the sidewalks.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thank you for all the comments/suggestions. I have a flight that leaves JFK at 01:35, so the reason I'm asking for a lounge is I want a place to hang out in the evening before I go to the airport (since I've lost my Your24 privileges ).
  • I did a bit of reading and it sounds like the Sheraton TS lounge offerings are rather meagre (no hot food). @bosman has that changed? Good to know about the destination fee as that is a stickler for me.
  • The Element sounds like an option, but I'm guessing the evening reception is held in the lobby. Is that correct @Keyser?
  • Sheraton Tribeca might be the best option with the free wine and outdoor lounge terrace (assuming it's still warm enough in early Oct).
I don't think cash stay will be an option even if prices come down. Right now prepaid rates at the Sheraton TS are $642+, the Tribeca $391+ and the Element $371+.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Kacee
Destination fees are not optional. If they waived it, it was a cs gesture.

I can't imagine calling a TS location "great" unless you enjoy pushing your way through thousands of tourists blocking the sidewalks.
Waived Destination Fee: possible it was a cs gesture; this was shortly after they launched this concept and my rates since then have explicitly waived it.

I have never found the area immediately around the TS blocked by "thousands of tourists" until you actually get into the immediate TS area, but that is a good 4 blocks away,l so not a knock on the hotel to me.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

• The Element sounds like an option, but I'm guessing the evening reception is held in the lobby. Is that correct @Keyser?
there is a sitting lounge adjacent to the lobby (between the lobby & breakfast area)....that's where the evening reception is held....
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

I don't think cash stay will be an option even if prices come down. Right now prepaid rates at the Sheraton TS are $642+, the Tribeca $391+ and the Element $371+.

Those rates are unusually high. Must be something going on, or they have just arbitrarily set high rates for future dates. These aren't my go to properties but I usually get rates at the full service legacy Marriott properties that are under $300.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Those rates are unusually high. Must be something going on, or they have just arbitrarily set high rates for future dates. These aren't my go to properties but I usually get rates at the full service legacy Marriott properties that are under $300.
Exactly! Convert that into Cdn dollars and it breaks the bank. (I won't even bother trying to BRG as it will still be unaffordable for me.) However, it's an excellent use of an Amex free night cert which is good for up to 35K pts.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:30 am

• I did a bit of reading and it sounds like the Sheraton TS lounge offerings are rather meagre (no hot food). @bosman has that changed? Good to know about the destination fee as that is a stickler for me.
There were hot food offerings at Breakfast at my last stay. I honestly don't recall the afternoon/evening options as I rarely stop by the lounge later in the day.

Re Destination Fee, as noted by others above, waiving may have been more of a cs gesture and not a predictable/guaranteed outcome for all requesting it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have never found the area immediately around the TS blocked by "thousands of tourists" until you actually get into the immediate TS area, but that is a good 4 blocks away,l so not a knock on the hotel to me.
Fair enough. 53rd is out of the immediate craziness. I do find though though that even from a few blocks away, TS is something of a black hole which may be difficult to avoid getting sucked into.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:45 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Thank you for all the comments/suggestions. I have a flight that leaves JFK at 01:35, so the reason I'm asking for a lounge is I want a place to hang out in the evening before I go to the airport (since I've lost my Your24 privileges ).
  • Sheraton Tribeca might be the best option with the free wine and outdoor lounge terrace (assuming it's still warm enough in early Oct).
The Sheraton Tribeca can be had for cheaper usually but given the stay is so far away I'd book something refundable you're ok with and keep checking for a LNF opp. The hotel is a dump with tiny rooms but the lounge is alright.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:31 pm

Anyone w recent stays at the Marriott Downtown New York? Their staff mentioned on TA that they will begin renovations in late 2018, are any renovated rooms complete? Is there currently construction noise?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Best Current Category 5 Hotel in Manhattan

Planning a tourist visit to New York between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have one of the old Cat 8 travel package which crosses to a Cat 5 hotel and I want to make a reservation before the category change.
What would be people consider the best choices?

Right now kind of thinking the Residence Inn Central Park, Residence Inn Times Square, or Sheraton Times Square. Other suggestions would be appreciated. If I luck out and can upgrade my certificate would do the ST. Regis. I am Titanium Elite and have some SNAa in my account if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.