Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
You are right.

But they must know that there is a huge amount of loyal guest who select a Bonvoy hotel as their first choice,when they are travelling, just because of the Fidelity program.

But again I am also shocked by the difference (for Elite Benefits, breakfast and recognition) among US properties and Eu/International ones.

To me, a MARRIOTT breakfast should be the same (at least the minimum standard) in Salzburg and in Orlando!
Old May 12, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
The bonvoy breakfast policy in asia seems to be quite consistent so far (at least on my stays)
the breakfast that comes with elite status or welcome amenity are always full buffet at the restaurant.

(Seems like the prince gallery tokyo might have change their policy lately though)

the brands i have stayed before are : st regis in osaka, singapore, bali, and tianjin, four points hakodate, westin singapore and jakarta, luxury collections uae, jakarta, bangkok, tokyo, and kyoto.

It should be easier if the breakfast for elites follows what hotel give to their paid guest
less headache for both elites and hotels alike
Old May 12, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think, in my opinion, you are seeing hotels waging a somewhat strike against Marriott corporate - there are certain hotels who clearly don't want guests out for free breakfasts nor want bookings on points - I suspect they want a better reimbursement policy. They are striking back hard and Marriott can't really do much about it else it loses the mgmt fees.

Hotels, like Airlines, are also practically printing money - they lose you forever, someone else takes your place.
the problem is, unless you're a marquee hotel, Marriott is why people stay there. If a Four Points isnt a four points, theres basically a zero percent chance I'm staying at a random hotel at that level. If the Cosmopolitan walks from the Marriott Autograph Collection, they'll have no problems, unlike the aforementioned.

so either take the risk, see if Hilton, IHG etc. Treat them better or deal with it. The problem is that Marriott has been too lenient with these properties, not that they're stick wielding overlords with zero flexibility.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
4P has been notoriously bad about breakfast, even under SPG. I had a stay booked as breakfast included, clerk politely said she saw no evidence of it, but when I showed her my reservation confirnation clearly mentioning the breakfast rate, she gave in. That was the full buffet.

However, Ambassador level who chose the "breakfast" over points were given something similar to OP - a set Continental meal of basically pastries, coffee and juice only.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
This experience is literally a shame and an outrage to loyal customers, and Corporate should investigate.

​​​Luckily, here in Europe I NEVER had such an experience, since - till today - I never found an hotel that doesn't offer real buffet breakfast to whom are entitled, including Plat (never heard of different and cheap alternatives).

I am just wondering why do they behave like that: do they prefer save 5 $ in food items and, at the same time, LOSE the guest forever?
Agreed, in Europe, South America, Asia, and Australia, I have never had an issue with this.
At legacy JW/Marriott/Ren non-resort properties in North America it is almost never an issue.
At most legacy SPG properties in the US and Canada it is usually not an issue, although it varies widely, even among W's (SOBE W and Union Square W offer pastries, coffee, and juice, Miami and Scottsdale W offer a handful of choices that include proteins and hot choices)

The main issue is with resort properties. I find it particularly ludicrous that resort properties in Mexico and Central America are cheating since the marginal cost of having a Plat/Titanium/Ambassador member eating at the buffet is far less than $5. From reading property reviews, it almost seems like the properties in Mexico have all gotten together and decided to cheat on the breakfast benefit. For those of you who follow corporate performance, Mexico one of the only regions where Marriott stays are declining. Perhaps they are doing this in as a cost cutting measure in response to declining stays but don't realize they are actually hurting their business by driving away loyal customers. It also appears that several Kessler properties in the US, which are generally very nice, have decided to cheat.

But, as the OP for this thread, it actually seems like the vast majority of full service properties outside of Mexico and Kessler Collection are complying.

Issues with CY and AC properties are for a different thread.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Booked 2 rooms for 5 nights at 4p hakodate last January. They provide us with 4x 5 breakfast vouchers.
Its for their full buffet at restaurant.

Old May 12, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
4P has been notoriously bad about breakfast, even under SPG.
Lost among the spg-good/marriott-bad that shows up daily on FT is that spg had aimless brands like Sheraton and the associated 4P. While the international properties were great, domestic US Sheratons could range from excellent to worse than a Days Inn.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:15 am

I know I generalize, but in my experience the non-full-service hotels (those below Sheraton - Marriott - Le Meridien level such as AC Hotels, Courtyards, Four Points etc) are more often the ones that try to bend rules to minimize their due responsibilities to elites, not just with breakfast but in general.

This is why when times call for me to stay in these 'economy' hotels, I am less inclined to be loyal to Marriott. For full service hotels, I tend to stay more loyal, given I have higher confidence that they will provide what is due.

If Marriott wants my business in its lower tier brands, they will have to bring some consistency and discipline in how they treat elites.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jaejaez
I know I generalize, but in my experience the non-full-service hotels (those below Sheraton - Marriott - Le Meridien level such as AC Hotels, Courtyards, Four Points etc) are more often the ones that try to bend rules to minimize their due responsibilities to elites, not just with breakfast but in general.
I've never had an issue at Springhill Suites . . . they execute with extreme consistency.

By contrast, many of the most egregious violations have been at full service resort properties, including Wailea beach resort and numerous Mexico beach resorts.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Diamond,Amb,Wyndham Diamond
PV Marriott in Mexico

Pastry,yogurt with cereal(nasty) small Juice (canned) and Coffee.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I must also disagree.

I’m with the latter two posts: the Prince de Galles offers a complimentary continental breakfast benefit suitable to any luxury property in Europe.
IME, having just settled my bill for a 5 nights stay I would TECHNICALLY say they are in non-compliance, but it's because they went above and beyond. In addition to the continental breakfast buffet I ordered a ham and cheese omelette 4 of the 5 mornings I was here and was not charged any additional amount. From previous reports I expected 11€ daily upcharge, but was pleasantly surprised when there was none. It is very nice that they went above and beyond.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Antarius
Lost among the spg-good/marriott-bad that shows up daily on FT is that spg had aimless brands like Sheraton and the associated 4P. While the international properties were great, domestic US Sheratons could range from excellent to worse than a Days Inn.
I would have to say that 4P I mentioned earlier was a freshly rebranded Hawthorn Suites I think they have started under 4P brands sometimes in 2019. So it was up to Bonvoy to train and instruct hotel properly. Certainly, SPG had some mediocre 4Ps in USA but in many cases those were "probation" hotels about to be kicked out of the SPG brands.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alex_I
I would have to say that 4P I mentioned earlier was a freshly rebranded Hawthorn Suites I think they have started under 4P brands sometimes in 2019. So it was up to Bonvoy to train and instruct hotel properly. Certainly, SPG had some mediocre 4Ps in USA but in many cases those were "probation" hotels about to be kicked out of the SPG brands.
I cannot speak to the specifics of this 4P, but IMO, the bold is revisionist history. I would argue that a large chunk of domestic 4P and Sheratons were technically out of compliance and were for years. SPG never did a thing.

When I switched (pre-merger due to footprint) from SPG 100+ night/ambassador to both SPG and Marriott, the first think I noticed is that CYs were more consistent. Consistently s***ty with benefits, yes, but top to bottom, far more consistent than 4P/Sheratons, some of which were excellent and some that reminded me of The Shining.

Meanwhile, I stay at the 4P in BOG for 35000 points for 5 nights and get free breakfast and drinks in the lounge and bar.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:39 am

Interesting read on the breakfast benefit. It looks like Marriott reimburses hotels $7 for plats+ who select the breakfast benefit:

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-bonvoy-hotel-owner/
Old May 29, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Interesting read on the breakfast benefit. It looks like Marriott reimburses hotels $7 for plats+ who select the breakfast benefit:

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-bonvoy-hotel-owner/
Interesting article, although not sure why he uses the term " continental breakfast" since that's not the program benefit.

The biggest violators on the benefit are clearly the Kessler Collection and Mexican resorts. For the Mexican resorts, I'm confident they are making a profit if they provide plats access to their buffets as the marginal cost is certainly less than $7. It's probably a loss at the Kessler properties but their room rates justify it since they are usually at the top of the local markets price wise relative to their peers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.