Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:19 am

Beaver Creek Lodge

Beaver Creek Lodge, Autograph Collection
Beaver Creek, Colorado
Operated by Kessler Collection
No lounge. Breakfast is continental which includes coffee, breads, cereal, oatmeal, salmon, hard boiled eggs, fruit, and limited cereals or $16 ($8 x 2) towards full breakfast which is $32 per person. Kids are $12 for a full breakfast. They add tax and BC assessment so for 2 adults and 1 child total was $14.xx for continental breakfast.
Stay: December 31, 2019 to January 5, 2020
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by marysia
Beaver Creek Lodge, Autograph Collection
Beaver Creek, Colorado
Operated by Kessler Collection
No lounge. Breakfast is continental which includes coffee, breads, cereal, oatmeal, salmon, hard boiled eggs, fruit, and limited cereals or $16 ($8 x 2) towards full breakfast which is $32 per person. Kids are $12 for a full breakfast. They add tax and BC assessment so for 2 adults and 1 child total was $14.xx for continental breakfast.
Stay: December 31, 2019 to January 5, 2020
this seems to be in compliance and an improvement from what is reported in the wiki
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Reading this thread in its entirety is eye-opening.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
It is my experience that most properties in North America are stingy with these type of benefits for Marriott and Hilton while their Asian and European counterparts go above and beyond in their offerings.
Sorry, maybe I can seem a bit stupid for asking that...but is there a (cultural, economic, habits, etc.) reason for this constant and recurrent difference between American and European/Asian properties?
I read it EVERYWHERE.
Thanks a lot for let me understand it.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
For breakfast benefit,

From my limited experience at Marriott's North American hotels (St Regis SF, US Grant San Diego, and W Hollywood,
Their breakfast is not those buffet type, but more of a la carte orders.

Asian hotels, such as St Regis Singapore, Tianjin, Bali, The Athenee Bangkok, Keraton Jakarta, Westin Jakarta, Singapore, and Mina Seyahi, all provide buffet breakfast.

I can guess the added cost to allow extra elites on those buffet will be much lower than those North American a la carte breakfast.

For other issues like lack of upgrades, I guess its depends on property themself
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kaizen7
For breakfast benefit,

From my limited experience at Marriott's North American hotels (St Regis SF, US Grant San Diego, and W Hollywood,
Their breakfast is not those buffet type, but more of a la carte orders.
My experience is that larger hotels in North America tend to offer buffets, while boutique hotels and smaller luxury hotels tend to rely on menu-based breakfasts. The majority of North American full-service hotels (Rewards, SPG, and now Bonvoy) at which I've stayed have had breakfast buffets.

Some offer better breakfasts than others.

The purpose of this thread is to identify those that provide less than the published minimum to Platinum Elite (and higher) members.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The breakfast benefit is a primary reason many aspire to Lifetime Platinum Elite status.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:39 am

Muir Autograph Collection, Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada)

Muir Autograph Collection in Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada):

They are only offering 750 points. Their excuse is that their restaurant, named Drift, is not owned by the hotel.
However, they used to offer complementary breakfast at Drift in the past.
dw likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:06 am

I mean at this point the benefit is no longer a free breakfast… it’s essentially a discount on a breakfast. Oh, you don’t want a few pieces of fruit and a pastry? That’s going to be a $25 up charge. They should either do what Hyatt does and say “full breakfast” or Hilton and have a discount. Properties are all over the place with one of the biggest selling points of Marriott status.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Muir Autograph Collection in Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada):

They are only offering 750 points. Their excuse is that their restaurant, named Drift, is not owned by the hotel.
However, they used to offer complementary breakfast at Drift in the past.
blast them on TA to hopefully drive change (and then after change, the property gets TA to remove all breakfast complaint reviews a la SR Chicago )
SPN Lifer and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I mean at this point the benefit is no longer a free breakfast… it’s essentially a discount on a breakfast. Oh, you don’t want a few pieces of fruit and a pastry? That’s going to be a $25 up charge. They should either do what Hyatt does and say “full breakfast” or Hilton and have a discount. Properties are all over the place with one of the biggest selling points of Marriott status.
The good news is that plenty of Marriott Bonvoy full-service and luxury properties provide excellent breakfasts to Platinum Elite and above. My wife and I recently stayed at five properties in Italy -- one Westin, one Renaissance, two Autograph Collection, and one St. Regis -- which all had well-stocked breakfast buffets with plenty of choices and no extra charges for anything.

Depending on the brand and property type (hotel or resort), the daily breakfast benefit rules (for member + 1) at full-service and luxury properties fall into three categories: (1) breakfast through "Guaranteed Lounge Access," (2) breakfast in the restaurant as a Welcome Gift choice, and (3) no breakfast benefit at all. See the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions for all the details.

When there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, hotels of Marriott legacy brands that provide restaurant breakfast through "Guaranteed Lounge Access" can limit the free elite breakfast to a "continental breakfast." In such cases, the hotel can offer a more complete breakfast for an additional charge. Most hotels realize this is petty, so they provide a full buffet or traditional hotel breakfast. But they're not in violation of the T&Cs if they only provide "continental breakfast" and offer a credit toward other breakfasts.

The benefit should never ONLY be a discount or credit. If there's only a credit -- insufficient for breakfast food, coffee, and juice -- then the hotel is in violation, and the member should invoke the guarantee.

If a full-service hotel only wants to provide daily USD $10 credits for member + 1, then the hotel should rebrand to Courtyard, AC Hotels, or Moxy.
SPN Lifer, Tanic, yscleo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Horace; Jun 7, 2023 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Horace
If a full-service hotel only wants to provide daily USD $10 credits for member + 1, then the hotel should rebrand to Courtyard, AC Hotels, or Moxy.
Or to Hilton
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
The good news is that plenty of Marriott Bonvoy full-service and luxury properties provide excellent breakfasts to Platinum Elite and above. My wife and I recently stayed at five properties in Italy -- one Westin, one Renaissance, two Autograph Collection, and one St. Regis -- which all had well-stocked breakfast buffets with plenty of choices and no extra charges for anything.

Depending on the brand and property type (hotel or resort), the daily breakfast benefit rules (for member + 1) at full-service and luxury properties fall into three categories: (1) breakfast through "Guaranteed Lounge Access," (2) breakfast in the restaurant as a Welcome Gift choice, and (3) no breakfast benefit at all. See the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions for all the details.

When there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, hotels of Marriott legacy brands that provide restaurant breakfast through "Guaranteed Lounge Access" can limit the free elite breakfast to a "continental breakfast." In such cases, the hotel can offer a more complete breakfast for an additional charge. Most hotels realize this is petty, so they provide a full buffet or traditional hotel breakfast. But they're not in violation of the T&Cs if they only provide "continental breakfast" and offer a credit toward other breakfasts.

The benefit should never ONLY be a discount or credit. If there's only a credit -- insufficient for breakfast food, coffee, and juice -- then the hotel is in violation, and the member should invoke the guarantee.

This deserve a big plause !!!
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:34 am

and I’ve staid at two StR in Mexico over the past year that charged $25 extra, per person to get something beyond a plate of fruit and a piece of bread while also charging >$1000 a night. I think this can be repeated for plenty of hotels across the board. For every great example, like the StR in Bali, there’s a StR that’s doing the bare minimum.

Is it bad that a guest wants a consistent experience? If you’re telling me I get “breakfast in the restaurant” and then serve me a plate of fruit and a piece of bread that’s not even on the menu, I’m not too thrilled.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 4:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Marriott try to appease their valued customers by mentioning "continental breakfast"as elite benefit.

And as always, Marriott valued customers could set whatever breakfast they want to offer and claim it fulfills the elite benefit requirements.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.