Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by londonexpert
Thanks. That’s a shame I clearly recall I get 2 sets of qualifying nights with sPG before
Yes, I recall it was changed in August 2018.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by JayeJ
And if you change the name on the second room to the occupant's name, you will not get the points even though you pay with your credit card and your MB number is on the reservation ... at least that was my experience recently. I finally gave up arguing with them.
the t&c’s Clearly state you can have points for up to 3 rooms per property. Was it the hotel or corporate you raised this with?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
the t&c’s Clearly state you can have points for up to 3 rooms per property. Was it the hotel or corporate you raised this with?
Relevant T&Cs are all on the Marriott website.
==Qualifying Charges (for earning points) incurred during a stay in a guest room at a Participating Property by a Member on his/her folio ......provided the Member provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in, stays in one of the reserved guest rooms, and pays for the charges

Changing names on room simply split the folio into two, thus not meeting the T&C requirements.

Quite clear:
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

2.1.b. Qualifying Charges. “Qualifying Charges” are:
i. Charges incurred during a stay in a guest room at a Participating Property by a Member on his/her folio and up to two (2) additional guest rooms, including, without limitation, charges for:
A. Qualifying Rates for Stays;
B. Food and beverages (excluding alcoholic beverages where prohibited by law) and may exclude charges incurred at outlets that are not managed or operated by the Participating Property;
C. Direct-dialed in-room telephone and direct-dialed in-room fax;
D. In-room movies and video games;
provided the Member provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in, stays in one of the reserved guest rooms, and pays for the charges
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:01 am

Thanks. That’s a shame I clearly recall I get 2 sets of qualifying nights with sPG before
Almost a year late in digesting the changes...

Relevant T&C:
==Members will only earn credit for each Qualifying Night which is part of a Stay at a Qualifying Rate, for the guest room the Member personally pays for and stays in, and not for any additional guest rooms.

Quite clear:

2.1.d. Qualifying Stay. A “Stay" or “Qualifying Stay” means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property, for which the room is billed to the Member.
i. A “Stay” is a stay of one or more consecutive nights at the same Participating Property by a Member who: (A) provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in; (B) pays a Qualifying Rate or redeems a Points redemption Award or a promotional Award for the stay; and (C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms. If a Member checks out of a guest room and then checks back in to a guest room at the same Participating Property within 24 hours, it will count as a single stay for purposes of calculating Stays and issuing Member benefits. A Member may only earn Points for up to three (3) guest rooms during any Stay if he/she stays in one of the reserved guest rooms and pays a Qualifying Rate or redeems a Points redemption Award or a promotional Award for all of the guest rooms.
ii. A “Qualifying Stay” is a credit pursuant to these Program Rules that counts toward earning Elite Night Credit. Except as otherwise set forth in these Program Rules, including in Section 7.1 and 7.2 below with respect to MVC Owners and Vistana Owners, Members will only earn credit for each Qualifying Night which is part of a Stay at a Qualifying Rate (as described in 2.1.e.), for the guest room the Member personally pays for and stays in, and not for any additional guest rooms. Members do not receive Elite Night Credit on stays at Non-Qualifying Rates (see 2.1.f.).
iii. Members cannot earn or receive benefits at multiple Participating Properties for the same stay date(s).
iv. Only one Member per guest room can earn Points/Miles and Elite Night Credit, as well as receive benefits. If there is more than one Member staying in the same guest room, the Members must decide upon check-in whose Membership Number will be applied to the guest room provided it is the same Member who will be paying the bill.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Relevant T&Cs are all on the Marriott website.
==Qualifying Charges (for earning points) incurred during a stay in a guest room at a Participating Property by a Member on his/her folio ......provided the Member provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in, stays in one of the reserved guest rooms, and pays for the charges

Changing names on room simply split the folio into two, thus not meeting the T&C requirements.

Quite clear:

2.1.b. Qualifying Charges. “Qualifying Charges” are:
i. Charges incurred during a stay in a guest room at a Participating Property by a Member on his/her folio and up to two (2) additional guest rooms, including, without limitation, charges for:
A. Qualifying Rates for Stays;
B. Food and beverages (excluding alcoholic beverages where prohibited by law) and may exclude charges incurred at outlets that are not managed or operated by the Participating Property;
C. Direct-dialed in-room telephone and direct-dialed in-room fax;
D. In-room movies and video games;
provided the Member provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in, stays in one of the reserved guest rooms, and pays for the charges
not sure where in that it say you can’t have another guests name on a room in your folio.

Ive stayed at hotels before and the rooms booked by me with my membership number but rooms with other guests have the name of the person staying in them. In fact I don’t know of any hotel that takes ID at check in not to register the name of the person(s) staying in the rooms and still got credits for 3 rooms.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:19 pm

not sure where in that it say you can’t have another guests name on a room in your folio.

Ive stayed at hotels before and the rooms booked by me with my membership number but rooms with other guests have the name of the person staying in them. In fact I don’t know of any hotel that takes ID at check in not to register the name of the person(s) staying in the rooms and still got credits for 3 rooms.
Regardless of who’s staying in which room, for points to be credited all 3 rooms must have been booked under the member’s name and membership number, the invoice for all rooms must be in the member’s name and member has to personally pay for the rooms. However, you can can get points on any additional rooms booked under other people’s name by transferring the balance in those rooms’ folios into your own’s and then paying yourself.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:20 am

Thanks - yes I am a bit late to understand the Marriott programme.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:26 am

Also what happens if I have 2 separate reservations by under my name and membership number?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also what happens if I have 2 separate reservations by under my name and membership number?
Same. You get the points for both, but only one stay.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:25 am

As long as they are at the same hotel, both folios have your membership number and are paid by you, then you get points for both reservations (up to 3 rooms in total), and get one night stay credit.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:27 am

Check the folios. Under who's name they are, whose membership number is on them, and who paid for the rooms.
If they are ALL YOUR details, then you have a case.
If any of the three on the folio (name, member number, paid by) isn't you, then you don't have a case unfortunately.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SPG Platinum
So a related question.

For a project, I am staying for 40 consecutive nights at a TownPlace Suites hotel. Weekends (and some weekdays), I am traveling. It's not worth it for me to check out for the weekends or the nights away, not the least important reason, it is paid for by others.

So, do if I stay at other Marriott properties during this time, will I get the nights for both? I am platinum elite (lifetime), but the extra nights -if I get them- will put me to titanium. Otherwise, I can work on my status at Hyatt (or other chain).

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I think its better for you to stay at other chain for their status.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Sooks
So a related question.

For a project, I am staying for 40 consecutive nights at a TownPlace Suites hotel. Weekends (and some weekdays), I am traveling. It's not worth it for me to check out for the weekends or the nights away, not the least important reason, it is paid for by others.

So, do if I stay at other Marriott properties during this time, will I get the nights for both? I am platinum elite (lifetime), but the extra nights -if I get them- will put me to titanium. Otherwise, I can work on my status at Hyatt (or other chain).

Thanks
could go either way. Technically you can't earn twice for the same night ... but it does happen ... Marriott's IT is not very good

I would earn w/ Hyatt for the nights away just to ensure you don't earn 3 nights and then you have trouble getting credit your your 40!
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sooks
So a related question.

Thanks
The way the system should work is that both overlapping stays would nullify each other and neither of them would post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.