Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Opened complaint about email fiasco with Marriott Consumer Affairs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

I wasn’t sure if this was appropriate to post anywhere else, so mods are welcome to move this if appropriate.

On Wednesday, I finally got fed up with the new hotel email domain changes and email contact issues causing a fiasco whenever trying to email legacy SPG hotels—even when just replying to emails already received. I called and left a forthright voicemail message of complaint for David Flueck, Marriott Sr VP of Loyalty.

For those who don’t know. Marriott foolishly changed the email domains for various legacy SPG hotel brands and stupidly didn’t properly provide for automatic forwarding from the original domains:

stregis.com was changed to stregishotels.com
luxurycollection.com was changed to theluxurycollectionhotels.com

The net result is a complete breakdown in customer contact and follow-up service via email with these hotels. It’s unacceptable and needs to be immediately addressed and corrected IMO.

(It’s also a complete tragedy that email addresses are no longer included on the main Marriott.com page for each hotel property. Previous SPG hotel website pages always included those email addresses of note for ease of contact.)

Well, today I got a call from the Marriott Department of Consumer Affairs in Omaha. I spoke with a representative who will be relaying these issues and following up with me in due course.

I will update this thread with any further information and responses I get via Marriott. Suffice to say that I’m at least pleased to see Marriott trying to listen and respond to my complaint. Here’s hoping that progress can be achieved sooner than later.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Thanks for escalating that issue.

Its a silly move and hard to understand but ... the reality is complaints here don't do anything so hopefully this will result in some attention. It's also nice to know that you received a call back! Curious -- did you leave your account number so they would be able to see you're a key customer?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Thanks for escalating that issue.

Its a silly move and hard to understand but ... the reality is complaints here don't do anything so hopefully this will result in some attention. It's also nice to know that you received a call back! Curious -- did you leave your account number so they would be able to see you're a key customer?
Of course! I included my account number and indicated I was a longtime Ambassador guest. You gotta work with what you got.

I also did refer the rep to FlyerTalk and indicated that it was a mounting location for many elites venting similar frustrations on these issues.
CLEguy and C17PSGR like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Of course! I included my account number and indicated I was a longtime Ambassador guest. You gotta work with what you got.
Cue the DYKWIA
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
What kind of idiots are running things at Marriott if they change email domains and don't even put forwarding in place from the old to the new, let alone publish the new emails? wow.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:27 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
What kind of idiots are running things at Marriott if they change email domains and don't even put forwarding in place from the old to the new, let alone publish the new emails? wow.
Its a long standing (and ridiculous) Marriott policy NOT to facilitate email contact with hotels. This move was entirely deliberate on their behalf.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soy
Its a long standing (and ridiculous) Marriott policy NOT to facilitate email contact with hotels.
Well, Marriott has acted quite a bit to satisfy former SPG elites. Perhaps Marriott didn’t realize that these email contacts are very important to us and just another reason that SPG was able to deliver better service. Now at least Marriott may finally learn. Slowly.

This reminds me of those old white guys on Capitol Hill questioning tech execs, completely oblivious as to how social media and the internet works for so many. Marriott’s senior leadership are just like that. Bill Marriott trying out his first Edition and being surprised the market has changed to include and promote such new ideas and approaches.
remymartin likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
I've always felt that Marriott was withholding by not putting the email addresses of hotels on their site. It's very irritating. Marriott also used to have a program called "along the route". It was a great program. You could map out your route for a road trip and all of their hotels would show up along the way so you could organize which hotel you might want to book. Now, if you are doing a road trip, you have to figure out where you might like to stay and guess if there is a Marriott in that town.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Safti
I've always felt that Marriott was withholding by not putting the email addresses of hotels on their site. It's very irritating. Marriott also used to have a program called "along the route". It was a great program. You could map out your route for a road trip and all of their hotels would show up along the way so you could organize which hotel you might want to book. Now, if you are doing a road trip, you have to figure out where you might like to stay and guess if there is a Marriott in that town.
I, for one, print out my road trip map and cross reference that with the map of Marriott hotels, making sure to note every property along my route.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:24 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I wasn’t sure if this was appropriate to post anywhere else, so mods are welcome to move this if appropriate.

On Wednesday, I finally got fed up with the new hotel email domain changes and email contact issues causing a fiasco whenever trying to email legacy SPG hotels—even when just replying to emails already received. I called and left a forthright voicemail message of complaint for David Flueck, Marriott Sr VP of Loyalty.

For those who don’t know. Marriott foolishly changed the email domains for various legacy SPG hotel brands and stupidly didn’t properly provide for automatic forwarding from the original domains:

stregis.com was changed to stregishotels.com
luxurycollection.com was changed to theluxurycollectionhotels.com

The net result is a complete breakdown in customer contact and follow-up service via email with these hotels. It’s unacceptable and needs to be immediately addressed and corrected IMO.

(It’s also a complete tragedy that email addresses are no longer included on the main Marriott.com page for each hotel property. Previous SPG hotel website pages always included those email addresses of note for ease of contact.)

Well, today I got a call from the Marriott Department of Consumer Affairs in Omaha. I spoke with a representative who will be relaying these issues and following up with me in due course.

I will update this thread with any further information and responses I get via Marriott. Suffice to say that I’m at least pleased to see Marriott trying to listen and respond to my complaint. Here’s hoping that progress can be achieved sooner than later.

agree completely, even before the merger I noticed Marriott were not putting email addresses, I found it really Annoying but then to remove legacy spg emails was a step too far! Suppose we should use smoke signals! This idiotic policy indicates the outdated modus operandi this group work to. Luckily I have still been able to contact my spg hotels where I have existing bookings
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:24 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
The Twitter Team (especially SPGASSIST) will give you the email addresses if you ask them.

Incredible that Marriott discourages email communication

🤔
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by damon88
The Twitter Team (especially SPGASSIST) will give you the email addresses if you ask them.

Incredible that Marriott discourages email communication

🤔
That's a hassle to have to contact Starriott via twitter to get the email address. Why not just list it on the website? It would save a step and everyone's time. Plus those extra twitter agents could then be deployed to help with the enormous postmerger customer service backlog. Ha!
damon88 and controller1 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Is it possible that your property was missed in the conversion? Or even that you possibly mistyped the email address? Yesterday I sent an email to the GM at a hotel I frequent, to [email protected], the same email address I've been using to communicate with him for years. While he did, indeed, respond from [email protected], my email reached him with no problem. At how many properties has this been a problem for you?
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Is it possible that your property was missed in the conversion? Or even that you possibly mistyped the email address? Yesterday I sent an email to the GM at a hotel I frequent, to [email protected], the same email address I've been using to communicate with him for years. While he did, indeed, respond from [email protected], my email reached him with no problem. At how many properties has this been a problem for you?
I’ve now had this problem with StR SF, SLS Beverly Hills, StR Florence, and W Los Angeles—the only hotels at which I’ve had stays thus far.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
We both know Richard's attention to detail. I doubt other GM's will be as attentive.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.