Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club lounge bill and gratuity

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by catocony
What is a Mexican going to do with a $1 or $2 bill? Cambios don't take them.
Eh? All the "touristy Mexican" places (i.e., and IME TJ/Cabo/Cancun) take USDs just fine and don't seem to have any problems with them.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
not my problem

I always put [tip] in parenth beside that line item

problem solved at least for me
That's just lazy, willful negligence on your part.

If you have a regular bill from a restaurant for $20, do you think you can just write "$4 of that is the tip" at the bottom and you've somehow "done your part"?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
That's just lazy, willful negligence on your part.

If you have a regular bill from a restaurant for $20, do you think you can just write "$4 of that is the tip" at the bottom and you've somehow "done your part"?
That's a different scenario.
if a bill is itemized and includes a "service charge", it seems reasonable to assume it goes to the person serving you.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Eh? All the "touristy Mexican" places (i.e., and IME TJ/Cabo/Cancun) take USDs just fine and don't seem to have any problems with them.
I mean, they'll happily give you a 30% clip on the exchange rate by taking dollars, but will they accept $1 bills for things? If the only place you use US currency is the hotel or airport, then you might get by. Tip a $1 elsewhere and they will have to go out of their way to turn it into pesos.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:40 pm

... but will they accept $1 bills for things? ... Tip $1 elsewhere and they will have to go out of their way to turn it into pesos.
Don't forget the USD they're gonna get during the course of a day (or week) won't just be mine, and that's going to be a decent sum ... when I first started going to MX decades ago I was told there was no problem with USD and was in fact preferred.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Don't forget the USD they're gonna get during the course of a day (or week) won't just be mine, and that's going to be a decent sum ... when I first started going to MX decades ago I was told there was no problem with USD and was in fact preferred.
The situation has changed since you "started going to MX decades ago". There is a limit on the amount of USD a Mexican National can exchange into Mexican pesos so that they can be used for commercial purposes plus then they are responsible for the exchange commission. Why don't you just exchange your USD for pesos so that you aren't short-changing the deserving under-paid person you are tipping?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:08 pm

Kenny, the main point is that most cambios will not take small bills. $1.00 bills are the issue.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Why don't you just exchange your USD for pesos so that you aren't short-changing the deserving under-paid person you are tipping?
Eh? They come out far ahead- a few random singles is nothing to me but based on the reaction I've gotten (and recently at that), they don't seem to act "shortchanged".
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Kenny, the main point is that most cambios will not take small bills. $1.00 bills are the issue.
Yes ... but the dollar used by ordinary Mexicans in non-tourist stores aren't charged at the same discount used for American tourists.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:13 pm

Are you under the impression that Mexicans use a lot of dollars in local shops? That is not the case, anymore so than someone in San Diego would use pesos at a store.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:09 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
if a bill is itemized and includes a "service charge", it seems reasonable to assume it goes to the person serving you.
In a vacuum I can see why people might make that assumption. But now that you've read this post you have been made aware that these service charges are not in fact tips and do not necessarily go to the service staff, so you no longer have that excuse.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by pvn
In a vacuum I can see why people might make that assumption. But now that you've read this post you have been made aware that these service charges are not in fact tips and do not necessarily go to the service staff, so you no longer have that excuse.
That's a problem between service staff and the employer. I'm not paying for the same thing twice.
At one restaurant recently I asked the waiter if the service charge goes to him and he said yes. So clearly it's inconsistent. Tipping in addition to paying a service charge is just facilitating the bad practices of the employer.
Marschel and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:03 am
pvn
Suspended

yes, it's inconsistent.

you asked, you got an answer, it doesn't seem that hard.

just saying "well it's someone else's problem" is absolutely a terrible approach. stiffing waiters isn't going to fix the problem, it doesn't punish the employer for their dumb practices. Seeing as you know that it's possible to actually talk to the human beings who are providing the service, I'm not sure why you'd choose to make some sort of bizarre stand here. Just ask.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
What is a Mexican going to do with a $1 or $2 bill? Cambios don't take them. I've seen guys give out $1 tips all over Latin America, and it's kind of a cruel joke. Brasileras frequently tell me that they save them to exchange with someone they know going to the US, i.e. they have to barter with someone else to get some local money.

If you're going to give small tips in foreign countries, at least tip in their own currency.
Originally Posted by Enigma368
It does seem a little ignorant to assume someone abroad would want small amounts of change in your home currency, rather than their currency. I am sure they can still probably figure out some way to use $1 and $2 US bills, but if you are going to the effort of getting change for tips, why not get it in the currency of the country you are going to?
Too funny....I have actually asked a number of times whether tips are preferred in pesos or USD. The response was that the $2 USD tips were preferred, especially since they are considered good luck by many. The last time I gave a $2 tip, the gentleman was super excited and said, "I finally have 7 $2 bills...what good luck!!" and proceeded to pull out his wallet, pull 6 other $2 bills and add the one I just gave him to his collection with a huge smile.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
In most countries a mandatory “service charge” added to the final bill is not a gratuity for the staff, just another revenue stream going towards the businessowner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.