Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club lounge bill and gratuity

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Mandatory service charge = tip. No additional tipping required.
Not at all correct.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

In most countries a mandatory “service charge” added to the final bill is not a gratuity for the staff, just another revenue stream going towards the businessowner.
if I see a service charge, I'll assume it goes to the server. If the restaurant makes it clear that's not the case I'll act accordingly, however i shouldn't need to go out of my way to enquire about it.
Diplomatico and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

In most countries a mandatory “service charge” added to the final bill is not a gratuity for the staff, just another revenue stream going towards the businessowner.

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
That's a problem between service staff and the employer. I'm not paying for the same thing twice.
At one restaurant recently I asked the waiter if the service charge goes to him and he said yes. So clearly it's inconsistent. Tipping in addition to paying a service charge is just facilitating the bad practices of the employer.
Pretty much sums it up.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Oct 24, 2018 at 6:28 am
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
yes, it's inconsistent.

you asked, you got an answer, it doesn't seem that hard.

just saying "well it's someone else's problem" is absolutely a terrible approach. stiffing waiters isn't going to fix the problem, it doesn't punish the employer for their dumb practices.
Indirectly it can. If waiters routinely get "stiffed" because there is a service charge that they don't get, they may not stick around or if they do will be unhappy. If turnover is high, the employer may need to increase pay to retain employees. If they're unhappy that will reflect in their service and as a result customer experience.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:39 am

But it is someone else's problem and it's the lack of respect for the employer/employees boundary that's making service industry employee's problems worse. In fact, one may argue that it was the starting of giving tips and gratuity's which has created employee problems in the first instance. How is this going to progress in their favor:- don't have employees clean our room - say no to cleaning?, don't have employees at the check in desk - check in ourselves?, don't wash the towels each day - hang them back up ourselves? Have we really helped?

There are good arguments on both sides on where the line should be drawn between giving employees extra money and knowing where the role of a guest ends. Clearly, from the many good comments on this thread we are not managing that as well as we would like to think.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Lizie
But it is someone else's problem and it's the lack of respect for the employer/employees boundary that's making service industry employee's problems worse.
Maybe, but people who are stiffing waiters don't get to voice that complaint. I mean, there's no way to stop them, it's just that their obviously self-serving complaint has zero credibility.

In fact, one may argue that it was the starting of giving tips and gratuity's which has created employee problems in the first instance.
ah yes, we're stiffing the housekeepers for their own good! brilliant. Such benevolence!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Maybe, but people who are stiffing waiters don't get to voice that complaint. I mean, there's no way to stop them, it's just that their obviously self-serving complaint has zero credibility.
I think the argument being made is it’s not the consumers doing the stiffing, it’s the employers if they’re charging a “service charge” that doesn’t actually go to the people doing the serving.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Too funny....I have actually asked a number of times whether tips are preferred in pesos or USD. The response was that the $2 USD tips were preferred, especially since they are considered good luck by many. The last time I gave a $2 tip, the gentleman was super excited and said, "I finally have 7 $2 bills...what good luck!!" and proceeded to pull out his wallet, pull 6 other $2 bills and add the one I just gave him to his collection with a huge smile.
Maybe I am wrong, I am not Mexican, but it sounds like you are being a bit ignorant and lazy towards the fact that other countries use different currencies. I really don't buy your argument about most Mexicans care more about the superstitious luck in the money you are giving them. That just sounds extra patronising. I am sure they would much much prefer to get $2 tips than no tip and you are still doing a nice thing. I just don't understand why you would not give them local currency when it is just as easy for you unless you genuinely believe they would prefer a $2 US dollar bill over the equivalent amount in pesos? I would be curious to know what that reason is. Maybe USD are genuinely more valuable to them for some reason although I cannot think why - perhaps because they would see it as a more stable currency if they want to save it but even that seems a bit tenuous?

I have occasionally tipped in Mexico or other countries in USD because it turns out that is the only cash I have left. I do feel a bit obnoxious doing it though, as if I am an arrogant American who assumes that their currency is so worthless than I'm not even going to use it.

I would be curious to hear a Mexican's pov. Maybe they would say I am way overthinking this. I have been to Mexico many times and do know some Mexicans personally and I have definitely heard feedback from some of them that, in San Miguel Allende for example, they find the high number of obnoxious American expats who are disrespectful to their culture disappointing and frustrating.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by Enigma368; Oct 24, 2018 at 4:05 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Eh? They come out far ahead- a few random singles is nothing to me but based on the reaction I've gotten (and recently at that), they don't seem to act "shortchanged".
How do they come out ahead with $1 over 20 Mexican Pesos(just over $1 at today's exchange rates)? I could maybe understand that for some it is just as good as pesos but how could you possibly think they are coming out ahead? You understand how currency exchange rates work right? Unless there is some larger factor I am not understanding around inflation or currency stability - which seems a little unlikely.

I am sure that they are much happier to get $1 over no tip and I am sure they are grateful, you are not doing a terrible thing, but I think it would be a little more respectful if you could tip the same amount in local currency. But if there is a genuine reason why they would prefer $1 over 20 Mexican pesos, I would be curious to understand why. My worry is that some Americans, possibly even on this thread, genuinely believe that Mexico's currency is some useless worthless thing that no Mexican would possibly prefer over USD.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:03 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoPhils

I think the argument being made is it’s not the consumers doing the stiffing, it’s the employers if they’re charging a “service charge” that doesn’t actually go to the people doing the serving.
yes but that argument only holds water if you don't know any better.

if you're reading this thread, you DO know.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by pvn

What do we know? Sometimes the service charge goes to service staff. Sometimes it doesnt.

should we enquire about it each time? Or assume its not going to staff, and we tip on top (meaning sometimes we double tip)?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by pvn

What is your problem? Shouldn't you focus your ire towards establishments that charge service charge and pocketing them instead of re-distributing them towards their employees?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
I've noticed that when selecting the Platinum breakfast amenity (for the restaurant, not lounge, when properties offer), the coupon many Starroitt properties give you now says that gratuity is included.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
What do we know? Sometimes the service charge goes to service staff. Sometimes it doesnt.

should we enquire about it each time? Or assume its not going to staff, and we tip on top (meaning sometimes we double tip)?
Yep. Unlike some of our online crusaders, I don't feel it's my responsibility to monitor the payroll decisions of businesses that I don't own.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:16 am
pvn
Suspended

oh my god, you might have to talk to wait staff. the horror.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.