Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club lounge bill and gratuity

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
I would speak to one of the managers and ask what is the purpose of this bill and what do they expect that guests should do. Why are guests being given a bill for a zero charge, are guests expected to sign it, is this a ploy to get tips for Marriott employees, what purpose does this serve for the hotel or for guests, etc. Tell them there is a thread on FT and suggest that the manager respond to it directly or that you will be glad to post their explanation. Put management on the spot to explain.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by HereAndThere
I would speak to one of the managers and ask what is the purpose of this bill and what do they expect that guests should do. Why are guests being given a bill for a zero charge, are guests expected to sign it, is this a ploy to get tips for Marriott employees, what purpose does this serve for the hotel or for guests, etc. Tell them there is a thread on FT and suggest that the manager respond to it directly or that you will be glad to post their explanation. Put management on the spot to explain.
Really easy for the manager to answer this.

It's a way to for people to leave tips without carrying cash. The tip is optional but appreciated by employees. That is all, guests need not act any differently.

Sure it's tacky but that is a matter of opinion, if I were a manager I'd simply say I appreciate the feedback and understand how it may come across that way, and I will continually re-evaluate this with my team.

That may not be the classiest response but it's the best you can expect in the circumstances. A truly classy hotel would be paying all employees a living wage and obviate tipping entirely,
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Westin Resort in Cancun is also guilty of this practice. Staff will chase after you out of the lounge if you dare leave without signing the bill. Can’t imagine what they’d do if you tore it up!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Wow a whole list of hotels to make sure I never visit! Beyond tacky - should not be allowed. I've paid for lounge either with higher rate or lots of money to earn status - pay your staff hotels! Don't charge us a lot and then not pay your staff adequately!!!!!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
If I could change two things about the States it would be gun laws and tipping culture (make that three if we include Trump). I would happily pay a bit more in restaurants if it meant the staff got paid more and any tipping would be discretionary based on the service received.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by estnet
Wow a whole list of hotels to make sure I never visit! Beyond tacky - should not be allowed. I've paid for lounge either with higher rate or lots of money to earn status - pay your staff hotels! Don't charge us a lot and then not pay your staff adequately!!!!!
totally agreed!

could someone please make a list of hotels doing this?

i’ll never ever set foot on them.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Sheraton Montreal and Westin Times Square (when it had a lounge) had us sign with spot for tip upon entering. Never stayed at either place again as I was perturbed that management would allow such behavior in a lounge. I tried to track too - it seemed if people tipped upon entering staff would help those people and semi-ignore/ give blase service to others.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:50 am

Not seen it in a lounge but had exactly the same bill passed to me at the breakfast buffet in Marriott Doha last week. I'm Plat prem so get free breakfast anyway. I just drew a line through the gratuity bit then signed.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I've had to sign one of these once. I'm not American so I had no idea it was supposed to be about tipping. I just signed it. No tip. No comeback (that I noticed anyway). I just assumed it was for their admin of who was using the lounge.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lizie
Not seen it in a lounge but had exactly the same bill passed to me at the breakfast buffet in Marriott Doha last week. I'm Plat prem so get free breakfast anyway. I just drew a line through the gratuity bit then signed.
Have definitely received these bills with many an included/free breakfast where the breakfast charge is listed and then taken off and a line is included for gratuity. If in the US I will usually leave a $2 or $3 tip on a $20-$30 breakfast as I think that is the custom?

Although usually the breakfast is a buffet and the server does little more than bring coffee at the start, I still think it is the custom? I wonder if you declined coffee and juice, would you still be expected to tip the server? I'm not an American but I live here and I'm not sure I will ever fully understand the right amount and times to tip.

I would almost never tip a server at a breakfast buffet outside the US as this would almost definitely not be the norm or expected.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Westin Resort in Cancun is also guilty of this practice. Staff will chase after you out of the lounge if you dare leave without signing the bill. Can’t imagine what they’d do if you tore it up!
True, but in the evening at the Royal Beach Club in Cancun (which you must be referring to), you order your food and drinks from the staff and they serve you, so I didn't mind the tip reminder. One thing to consider in a place like Mexico is that the hourly wages stink and in many cases, tipping is the lifeblood of the position.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
True, but in the evening at the Royal Beach Club in Cancun (which you must be referring to), you order your food and drinks from the staff and they serve you, so I didn't mind the tip reminder. One thing to consider in a place like Mexico is that the hourly wages stink and in many cases, tipping is the lifeblood of the position.
Not when I was there a month ago! Food was set up on the counter at the back and you helped yourself. I was only there 2 nights. First night, no one came to my table so I went up to the bar to get a glass of wine.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by davie355

The tip is optional but appreciated by employees.

Yes but are the employees getting it?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Lizie
Yes but are the employees getting it?
This is why I like to tip in cash for service in the lounge
jtwiz likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:29 am

Had this before at several Hyatt properties. I just write $0....

If the server was good enough, I just tip them in cash. None of management's business on how much I wanna tip the staff.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.