Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
If you need to cancel a reservation booked using a free night certificate, follow the process in this post before cancelling to avoid potentially losing your certificate. If the certificate is lost it should be re-enstatable by Marriott customer service, but it may take a while and require some extra work on your part.

Certificate “top-off” is available as of April 30th: and discussed in a separate thread. Marriott has announced that starting “in early 2022,” members will be able to combine free-night certs with up to 15,000 points when making redemptions. See the FT thread discussing the 10/26/21 announcements and Marriott’s FAQ for current info.

EXTENDING AN EXPIRING CERTIFICATE:
  • A blogger reported that as of 12/7/2023 Marriott removed the internal tool to extend an FNA, so it may or may not still be possible.
  • Your best chance for an extension is to call Marriott within 1 month of the expiration and consider having a specific property and date in mind to book. It's not necessary but even without one in mind, pick something you might use and change it later. 1-800-MARRIOT
  • Most importantly, have a good reason for needing the extension, like illness or injury.
  • If granted, the new expiration date is 1 year from the date of the request. You cannot get a 2nd extension on the same certificate, meaning the maximum life of a certificate is 2 years.
  • If not granted, some have luck by calling later a few times.
  • In 2022, Marriott seemed to deny all extension requests except a few exceptions such as here, here, and here. They may be allowing some again in 2023.

Before 18 Aug 2018, Chase issued certificates good for specific categories of hotels. Post 18 Aug 2018, all certificates have been converted or will be issued at a specific level of points. SPG AMEX and Ritz Carlton credit cards have also begun to issue certs.

25K points - lower level certificates
35K points - higher level certificates
50K points - luxury level certificates

Marriott will introduce peak and non peak levels for hotels after 1 Jan 2019. Certificates will be capped at the points level where they can be redeemed rather than for a specific category of hotel. Thus, if a hotel is 25K at the non peak level and the peak level is higher, it cannot be booked in the peak level window.

Nine co-branded credit cards offer an annual free night worth up to 85,000 points:
  • Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (formerly Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury Credit Card from American Express) - up to 85K (Second with $60k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (formerly Rewards Premier Plus) Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Premier (formerly Rewards Premier) - up to 25K
  • Marriott Bonvoy from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Business from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest Business) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Rewards Business Premier Plus Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Ritz Carlton Rewards - up to 85K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bevy - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
Things to know:
  1. Amex credit card free night certificates are issued 2 months after the anniversary date of the credit card. For example if the Brilliant fee posts 7/1, the certificate is available in your Marriott account on 9/1. Chase FNA certificates can appear much sooner, within 1 week.
  2. The certificate expires one year after it is issued. You must complete your stay by the expiration date.
  3. Can NOT be combined with a 3-night award to get a "Stay for 5, Pay for 4" award.
  4. Can be used for a standard room only
  5. Cannot be used for "redemption with cash upgrade" or any points and cash combination
  6. According to Marriott's terms, points reservations can be gifted to another person but certificates earned from a credit card cannot. This means the certificate owner (cardholder) must check-in even if someone else is listed as a guest on the reservation. In some cases a property has given leeway and allowed just the guest to check-in anyway without the certificate owner present, but it is risky to depend on this.
  7. If you use "top-off" with a certificate and the room price later decreases, you can modify the reservation to rebook the same date and recover the difference in top-off points.
  8. If you made a reservation with a FNA and want to know its expiration date, you can find it by editing the reservation as described at this link.
  9. If you downgrade the Amex Brilliant to the $95 Amex Bonvoy card, you can still get your anniversary FNA.
How to use:
  • Search for a points booking at an eligible hotel and the option to use the certificate a replacement for some of the required points should appear during the booking process
  • Some have had trouble booking certificates from the 2020 credit card offer to get 5 free nights. In that case, try this website for booking: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...free-nights.mi
  • Officially Marriott allows gifting of points awards but not gifting of free night certificates from credit cards. For the latter, your name will still need to be the reservation. Whether the property requires you to be present for check-in may depend on the hotel.
  • If you have 2 certificates of different value and try to redeem one, the Marriott website offers the one expiring first. If that's not what you want, work around this issue by making a dummy booking with that certificate. Then book the real reservation with the desired certificate. Then cancel the dummy. Be sure to pay attention to any cancellation terms since a few properties are more strict than others.
Older archived notes below:

NEW EXTENSION OF CERTIFICATES announced in October 2021:
  • Free night awards, Suite night awards, and travel certificates will be given a new expiration date of June 30, 2022
  • The Marriott Bonvoy app shows the original issue date of your free night certificates. Go to Account -> Free Night Certificates to find the issue date in small print above each certificate. It's unlikely you have a certificate that won't be extended. If you don't see the issue date in the app, you'll have to wait for the actual extension to happen to check the new expiration.
  • Expiration of points is paused through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months
  • In March 2022, Marriott will eliminate hotel categories and use variable point pricing for awards. Only a small number will be affected at first, so you won't see an immediate sweep of all properties at once.
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced May 2021:
  • "Starting May 6, members who had a FNA with an original expiration date in 2020, or which will expire before January 2, 2022, as part of their Cobrand Credit Card Benefit, Annual Choice Benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to redeem it through January 3, 2022.
  • Please note that FNAs with an original expiration date before 2020 will not be eligible for the additional extension. Members do not need to take any action because the system will automatically update their account with these extensions on May 6, 2021."
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced in 2020:
The expiration date on certificates this year is pushed to 1/31/21.
  • ...Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021.”
  • Expiration dates will be updated by the end of April, giving priority to those expiring soonest.
  • If yours will expire within just a couple days, contact a Marriott representative here by private message.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Has anyone else noticed their 50k certs recently disappearing? I had a 50k cert that was originally due to expire in Jan 2022, that was automatically extended last month. The cert is now completely missing from my account - while I've got two 35k certs (one of which was recently extended) that still appear to be fine.
I followed-up with Bonvoy Customer Care... seems to be a known recent issue with random certs disappearing from the customer's view. They can still see the 50k cert on their end even though I'm unable to see or apply it online. Recommend tracking your certs elsewhere and calling directly if you need to use one that you think you're missing.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:06 pm

Using certificates for after expiration date

I have 2 Free Night Certificates (up to 25,000 points) from having the Chase Marriott Bonvoy card. They both expire June 30, 2022. We are planning a trip for July. Is there any way I can use them?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by peterkronenberg
I have 2 Free Night Certificates (up to 25,000 points) from having the Chase Marriott Bonvoy card. They both expire June 30, 2022. We are planning a trip for July. Is there any way I can use them?
not unless Bonvoy extends it again
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
not unless Bonvoy extends it again
Thanks. I was hoping there might be some trick to it. Like making a reservation now and then changing it
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:14 pm

FYI, there's a main thread for discussing certificates and you'll find some questions like this answered in the wikipost at the beginning. It's not a sticky thread in the forum, so it can be easy to miss.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:40 am

Programs: *A
Classically, marriott have been willing to extend certs once for once year upon calling. If these certs were issued this year then CS likely would be able to extend. However, if you are booking a stay then there have been reports of the agent extending them by a couple of weeks, provided you make the booking immediately.
Bottom line, call Marriott.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:48 am

Problems Using Marriott Free Night Cert

The free night cert from the credit card I recently opened is now in my account, it's a 50K cert and says it expires 12/22/2022

I checked use points/certs, did my search, found a 40K hotel for 11/25/2022 but when I go to book it says I need more points and there is no option to use the free night............I only have 16K points as I'm still waiting on the 125K bonus which should post soon as the statement already cut and I paid the balance in full.

I tried using the app, same deal................any idea what I'm doing wrong ? Thanks

Old Dec 23, 2021, 3:09 pm

I'm posting a follow up as after speaking with Marriott I'm guessing others may have the same issue I did using these NEW 50K certs via the credit card sign up bonus on the 125K point card.

I chatted and the agent could not make the reservation either so he escalated the issue and the reservation was completed.

However when I checked the reservation it showed a point total of 40K a night instead of a free night cert and since I don't have 40K in the account it says I owe points.

It looks like they added 40k to my account and then used to 40K to book the room which sort of makes sense but I didn't ( and still don't) understand why the reservation says I still owe points.

I called back in and spoke to an agent and he verified the reservation was paid using the cert and the cert is attached as there is a special way of redeeming these new 50K certs.

I also called the hotel who said the same so it appears I'm all set but I will check back again before arrival to make sure I'm all set.
12/23/2021

Rewards

Standard Redemption Rate

12/23/2021, Redeemed -40,000 Rewards

-40,000 Points

12/23/2021

Bonus

ADJUSTMENT - POSITIVE

+40,000 Points

23973 points are currently needed prior to your stay. This amount may increase or decrease until you have deducted the points from your account to cover the reservation.

You must finalize your booking within the next 60 days, or 14 days before your stay, whichever occurs sooner. See full Terms and Conditions.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 4:18 pm

I think it's because they are changing the free night certs to combine w/ points

I had read that a coming feature will be the ability to use these certs on higher points properties using a combination of the cert and additional points. So for an 80k point hotel you can apply a free night cert of up to 50k and then add 30k points to get the booking. Perhaps they have not worked out all the back end yet on the coding side. Might be linked to that.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 7:38 pm

Another update on this , the 125K from the credit card posted and my reservation said I earned enough points and sure enough the 40K points for the "free night" were deducted from my account so it seems the agent wasn't giving me the correct info that this was a free night using a cert

I cancelled and got the 40K back .......the cert is not showing in my account after I cancelled so who knows what they did.

I'll call next week and try to book again using the cert ( I have the cert #) with more than 40K in my account as I don't think you can book a reservation on points and not pay if you have enough points.

A lot of hassle to use a free night

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 25, 2021 at 7:54 am
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:56 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
How long does it take for the AMEX 35K ones to post to the account? I got an email back in early Nov from Amex about my card renewal and free night cert, but it hasn't posted yet to my account.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Glob, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Another update on this , the 125K from the credit card posted and my reservation said I earned enough points and sure enough the 40K points for the "free night" were deducted from my account so it seems the agent wasn't giving me the correct info that this was a free night using a cert

I cancelled and got the 40K back .......the cert is not showing in my account after I cancelled so who knows what they did.

I'll call next week and try to book again using the cert ( I have the cert #) with more than 40K in my account as I don't think you can book a reservation on points and not pay if you have enough points.

A lot of hassle to use a free night
Just to add my experience on to this, I am likewise having a hard time forcing the booking to use a FNA that I earned through the most recent Chase Boundless elevated promotional offer. The booking defaults to points no matter where I try to book with a 50k FNA. My wife applied for and received an American Express promotional offer and had no difficulties using her FNAs through that offer.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Raylan
Just to add my experience on to this, I am likewise having a hard time forcing the booking to use a FNA that I earned through the most recent Chase Boundless elevated promotional offer. The booking defaults to points no matter where I try to book with a 50k FNA. My wife applied for and received an American Express promotional offer and had no difficulties using her FNAs through that offer.
I contacted them again and just like the first time when the agents book for me it says I owe 40K points and I can either pay now or they will be taken 15 days prior to arrival at the price that day which being the day after Thanksgiving in FT Lauderdale beach will no doubt be over 40K...............maybe even over 50K ( meaning I can't use the cert) as Marriott is going to Dynamic pricing in March I believe.

They are trying to tell me the cert is attached and everything will be fine but I have never seen a free night cert state points are owed.

I still have a case open as I'm not buying they won't deduct the points.

The Cert expires 12/22/2022..............if I wait until November 2022 and they deduct the points I wouldn't even be able to use the cert.

You should contact Marriott and ask them to book for you, chances are they can't or you get the same reservation showing points owed.........if so have them open a case.

You can contact them via the chat feature at Marriottt.com so no need to call
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason8612
How long does it take for the AMEX 35K ones to post to the account? I got an email back in early Nov from Amex about my card renewal and free night cert, but it hasn't posted yet to my account.
It is about a month after you made the payment of the AF.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Happy
It is about a month after you made the payment of the AF.
Thanks, that was the end of Nov, so hopefully any day now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.