Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by dunno282
so i have almost 700 nights and just got to 2 years as elite. what's the bare minimum I need to maintain for the next 8 years to qualify for LT Platinum Elite? I'd like to move a lot of my nights over to Hyatt. The one million base points for LT globalist will only take about 5-6 years and is very tempting.
Assuming you have the credit card that means you still have to give Marriott 35 nights a year for the next 8 years. But given your nights total that may not be difficult. Assuming your travel is not limited to major cities, you will often find there is no convenient Hyatt in many locations so keeping Marriott Platinum as a backup will be easy if you use it as your preferred backup program.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by vhfiv
Same, also sitting at 9 yrs plat. I think it took a while to increment last year, but the fact that people in this thread and the "status reset" thread said it incremented overnight on NYE makes me a little skeptical that this is going to resolve itself.
Same here. Glad to see that people are having the same issue. Hope the clock gets fixed soon. Gonna give this a week or so then call Marriott to figure out why the clock hasn't updated to reflect that I'm LT Platinum. I think Marriott IT has gotten some tips from United IT. I also want to choose some other hotels that would be more convenient for my travels.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by CalanMan
Platinum is pretty easy to earn now, but my conclusion is the opposite of yours. I don't think they'll make it harder to get. Instead, I think they'll continue to devalue it. Benefits that Marriott thinks should only go to folks who stay 50-ish actual nights annually will move to Titanium. If they hear from members that those benefits are too difficult to reach, they'll add another 5 or 10 elite-qualifying nights to the card (maybe with a spend requirement) to bring the head-on-pillow requirement back down to 50. Hyatt did almost exactly this, moving Globalist requalification from 55 to 60 and then within a few months including 5 qualification nights with their revamped CC.

Lifetime Platinums who aren't eligible to become Lifetime Titaniums are exactly the group who should be wary of future changes on the way.
You might be right ... But that said, Lifetime Platinum is certainly going to be better than Lifetime Gold, and at 9 years and 600 nights, it would be dumb for me not to just cross the finish line here.

As you said, there's no possibility of Lifetime Titanium for me, so no point in even considering what would have been better about it.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CalanMan
Platinum is pretty easy to earn now, but my conclusion is the opposite of yours. I don't think they'll make it harder to get. Instead, I think they'll continue to devalue it. Benefits that Marriott thinks should only go to folks who stay 50-ish actual nights annually will move to Titanium. If they hear from members that those benefits are too difficult to reach, they'll add another 5 or 10 elite-qualifying nights to the card (maybe with a spend requirement) to bring the head-on-pillow requirement back down to 50. Hyatt did almost exactly this, moving Globalist requalification from 55 to 60 and then within a few months including 5 qualification nights with their revamped CC.

Lifetime Platinums who aren't eligible to become Lifetime Titaniums are exactly the group who should be wary of future changes on the way.
Although I would tend to agree with you, I just don't see Marriott being dumb enough as to have no lifetime status that is worth anything.

Right now they get 50+ night business from myself and others because of the lure of lifetime Platinum, not because they are delivering an outstanding loyalty programme. There will still be people interested in chasing lifetime Platinum in 5-10 years time...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by some dude
As you said, there's no possibility of Lifetime Titanium for me, so no point in even considering what would have been better about it.
Yes there is, once you get the ten years for Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite.

Other chains may have an attainable lifetime status with a comparable level and benefits to Titanium.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by vhfiv
Same, also sitting at 9 yrs plat. I think it took a while to increment last year, but the fact that people in this thread and the "status reset" thread said it incremented overnight on NYE makes me a little skeptical that this is going to resolve itself.
I'm still waiting for the lifetime counter to increment as well. My 15 elite nights from cc were posted immediately on 1/1 fwiw
Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Yes there is, once you get the ten years for Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite.

Other chains may have an attainable lifetime status with a comparable level and benefits to Titanium.
I have been earning Hyatt globalist for the past 3 years.

Service at Hyatt’s full service properties is clearly much better for globalists than it is at Marriott full service properties for Titanium or Ambassador.

Its also much harder to earn the status with Hyatt, as there are far fewer properties. The lifetime status also requires $200K in spending, which is more than 10 years of my average spend with Hyatt.

I suspect that even after next year, when I have Marriott lifetime platinum, I probably continue to earn both Marriott platinum and Hyatt globalist, just because of footprint issues.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:38 am

I am LT Titanium with my original Marriott membership and still have separate SPG account (no LT status, active Gold status) with LT 249 nights. I was unaware of my original Marriott membership LT status so had kept both separated to achieve SPG LT (1 night short). However now since I have LT Titanium had below queries

1) Should I merge SPG account with Marriott one? What will happen after merge (assume my LT titanium status will remain as is, will my LT nights increase)?
(guess merging will help in not tracking and resetting points expiry for 2 accounts every 2 years)

2) I also saw Ambassador elite status for yearly status however didn’t see it as an option for LT on Marriott site. So is there anything called LT Ambassador and what are the requirements for that (wondering if old SPG account merge will help in getting that)
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by GreenBill
I am LT Titanium with my original Marriott membership and still have separate SPG account (no LT status, active Gold status) with LT 249 nights. I was unaware of my original Marriott membership LT status so had kept both separated to achieve SPG LT (1 night short). However now since I have LT Titanium had below queries

1) Should I merge SPG account with Marriott one? What will happen after merge (assume my LT titanium status will remain as is, will my LT nights increase)?
(guess merging will help in not tracking and resetting points expiry for 2 accounts every 2 years)

2) I also saw Ambassador elite status for yearly status however didn’t see it as an option for LT on Marriott site. So is there anything called LT Ambassador and what are the requirements for that (wondering if old SPG account merge will help in getting that)
1) There's no reason not to merge accounts. The lifetime nights (and years) will increase.

2) There is no Lifetime Ambassador status. The highest status is Lifetime Platinum with the exception of those who were grandfathered into Lifetime Titanium status.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Visualp
I'm still waiting for the lifetime counter to increment as well. My 15 elite nights from cc were posted immediately on 1/1 fwiw
I suspect something broke during the process which ran, and it did not complete. It makes zero sense why some incremented immediately while some have not 5+ days later.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
The fact that the year end process with respect to such basic things as # nights to renew, mismatch of LT status printed to interface and LT status printed to lifetime nights and years speak volumes of the level of ambition at MAR IT. It's very likely that these things work itself out during the next month or two but the fact that these people are willing to print inaccurate information to their customers is just jaw dropping.
I myself have worked in the financial industry for many years and if this happens here... Head would roll... you can't stop to wonder what kind business culture is at play over at MAR....
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by X-ON
The fact that the year end process with respect to such basic things as # nights to renew, mismatch of LT status printed to interface and LT status printed to lifetime nights and years speak volumes of the level of ambition at MAR IT. It's very likely that these things work itself out during the next month or two but the fact that these people are willing to print inaccurate information to their customers is just jaw dropping.
I myself have worked in the financial industry for many years and if this happens here... Head would roll... you can't stop to wonder what kind business culture is at play over at MAR....
kind of hard to compare the financial industry to the hotel industry. The accuracy of your bank account balance can be very disruptive to every day life. I fail to see how # of nights and LT status updated accurately every year be anywhere close to being that disruptive. i do agree it does suck and it's really not that hard for Marriott to get it right though.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Well regulartory diffrences aside... Just because you can get away with a crappy outcome does not mean that you have to... Except at MAR obviously.... In a bank you produce tons of numbers not all crucial to any regulartory or other external stakeholder in my experience a ton of $$$ are still put in to make these numbers accurate... I am sure outside the financial industry there are other companies with the same philosophy... If you strive for mediocrity you will end up with a mediocre company... That's my impression of MAR...
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
So I just made platinum in 2019, 51 nights. I see this now for my account, for 2020 i have '10 nights to Titanium'. The first 15 nights this year is from the amex. Is this a glitch, or if I stay another 10 nights will I reach titanium for 2020? Maybe before the end of February turnover? Must be an IT issue.

Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by vanabb
So I just made platinum in 2019, 51 nights. I see this now for my account, for 2020 i have '10 nights to Titanium'. The first 15 nights this year is from the amex. Is this a glitch, or if I stay another 10 nights will I reach titanium for 2020? Maybe before the end of February turnover? Must be an IT issue.
Discussed in a few different threads. Here's one. Seems to be an IT glitch.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...nye-usa-2.html
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.