Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by swag
Be careful what you wish for.

Are you so sure that a LT Plat would be ranked above a credit card Plat? I'm not, in fact I'd expect the opposite. The credit card Plat is putting $695 new money into the ecosystem each year, while the LT Plat may not be spending any new money. Bonvoy has already tilted towards current spenders vs lifetime achievers with the milestone awards for 50 and 75 nights, that aren't given to lifetime status holders who don't reach those annual levels.
IIRC, Hilton prioritizes LT Diamond over Diamond, so maybe Marriott may do the same.

Now, does the FD even check that? I doubt
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Very clever of Marriott to crush the importance / value of LT Platinum.

Give it a couple of years for Marriott to recognise the error and we might see LT Titanium returning as a target...
With this instant devaluation of Platinum, the next logical move is to remove lounge access.

At least I can then save myself the bother of getting the remaining 200+ nights for LTP.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by cfischer
Even the crappy Marriott IT has it . They still track LT points earned … yet they don’t show it anymore
The do not have the info to back track how many 75 nights years that is associated with a account. During the merger with SPG a lot of data was purged; when I requested what data MB was storing about my previous stays there was huge gaps on both SPG and MR related stays. I doubt they can reconcile my current year count using the data they have. Maybe they can start tracking the Titanium years post merger and set all Platinum years before merger equal to Titanium years and spin it as gesture of goodwill while they downgrade Platinum.

The most likely scenario is of course that nothing changes in terms of MB just that lounges in US/Canada get even more crowed and that you have to start paying for soft drinks and breakfast offering is a muffin and some coffee powder, now that is diluting Platinum benefits without even admitting it and making hotel owners happy in the process.

Now in the unlikely scenario they would introduce LTT again it would surprise me a lot if they would not just use Platinum years as tier, this since it is already in the system not that much of redevelopment to do etc.,...i.e. smaller IT budget for the project .... as a totally wild guess out of the blue:12 Years Platinum and 1000 Nights... but who knows ,,,
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yurtripper
With this instant devaluation of Platinum, the next logical move is to remove lounge access.

At least I can then save myself the bother of getting the remaining 200+ nights for LTP.
Marriott won't reduce published benefits.

They will however pay no attention to hotels closing their lounges, refusing to upgrade, or offering little for breakfast.

Definitely not worth pursuing 200 more nights in any event...
UA-NYC and drod like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I doubt it. Now that anyone can get Plat without stepping foot in a hotel, Marriott can just have us work to qualify for Titanium every year. If they give it away through LT status we won't have to stay loyal year after year.
Nobody has to stay loyal year after year with a credit card status option.

A LT target makes some people stay loyal year after year, even though they probably shouldn't.

So by reopening LT Tit, they can make all those credit card Platinums work for 75+ nights chasing yet another target. (only to %$&^% them in 5-10 years from now...)
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Nobody has to stay loyal year after year with a credit card status option.
No one has to, but since most people in this country do not have more than 2 credit cards, chances are pretty high they will stay loyal to the brand of cards they hold.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
IIRC, Hilton prioritizes LT Diamond over Diamond, so maybe Marriott may do the same.

Now, does the FD even check that? I doubt
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Marriott, at either the corporate or individual property level, does not care if you have lifetime diamond status
samosa and JfromTheBay like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Tonight's the night

Checked in to the Four Points Patong yesterday so tonight is it. The long wait is over. The summit of Everest is in sight.

Nine Platinum years and well over 600 nights already on the count. Tonight is my 50th night in 2022 thus reaching my 10th year of Platinum. I'm guessing my Lifetime Platinum status won't be updated until Jan/Feb next year when the annual Loyalty Years count is incremented, right? In any case, this handy - if irritating - flex from the Marriott app will be my proof if they foul up the Lifetime increment as they have done in the past.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Checked in to the Four Points Patong yesterday so tonight is it. The long wait is over. The summit of Everest is in sight.

Nine Platinum years and well over 600 nights already on the count. Tonight is my 50th night in 2022 thus reaching my 10th year of Platinum. I'm guessing my Lifetime Platinum status won't be updated until Jan/Feb next year when the annual Loyalty Years count is incremented, right? In any case, this handy - if irritating - flex from the Marriott app will be my proof if they foul up the Lifetime increment as they have done in the past.

congratulations!! They give you a welcome drink at the 4 points patong; a pint of local craft beer - enjoy, well deserved!

im still working on lt plat.

btw, looking at your stats, I’m thinking you don’t even need 50 nights this year. You are titanium right now with 48 nights which means you reached 75 last year, correct? Hence you are titanium this year, and the credit for this year is given February next year.

would be useful to know if in this example the member even needs to reach 50 or if the counter will go up anyway to 10 due to him being titanium at the moment?
ftrichard likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by mark_tew
SNIP
btw, looking at your stats, I’m thinking you don’t even need 50 nights this year. You are titanium right now with 48 nights which means you reached 75 last year, correct? Hence you are titanium this year, and the credit for this year is given February next year.

would be useful to know if in this example the member even needs to reach 50 or if the counter will go up anyway to 10 due to him being titanium at the moment?
This was a risk I did not want to take as I wanted to make 100% sure there could be no risk to my Lifetime achievement this year. The incrementing of Lifetime years has been quite random and, IIRC, 2022's status was a gifted extension (irrespective of the nights stayed in 2021 - I can't really remember what happened last year) and I know there's an active theory that it means we'll all get the increment added next February but it being my 10th qualifying year for Lifetime Platinum and all I was not going to take the risk. In any case, I have qualified with Titanium on the counter for all but the first of my Platinum Lifetime years and now will do so again in 2022 with planned travel but there's still a sense of relief. When I wake up tomorrow I'll have done it. No longer indentured to another year of servitude. I'm finally a Free Agent.
SPN Lifer, uanj, UA-NYC and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I think I might have the lowest total nights and 10 years of platinum out there.
274 nights total and 10 years plat with 11 years silver entering this year, I am up to 318 now.
SPN Lifer and gudugan like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have less than 20 nights to go, with ten years already on the books. So when my 30 credit card Elite Qualifying Night (EQN) bonus hits, I'll be a Marriott Bonvy Platinum Elite Lifer.
uanj, Majuki, lsquare and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
I have a fun one for hitting lifetime Platinum status. I will hit my 10 years when it flips in Jan/feb 2023 and as long as I do not add amymore nights on top of what I already have booked. My 600 night will be my wedding night at the Sheraton Falls View in early September 2023 where I'm having my wedding

But it being marriott, I don't expect even an acknowledgement 10 years I know better to get my hopes up.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Congrats on the wedding !!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Diamondkellen
I have a fun one for hitting lifetime Platinum status. I will hit my 10 years when it flips in Jan/feb 2023 and as long as I do not add amymore nights on top of what I already have booked. My 600 night will be my wedding night at the Sheraton Falls View in early September 2023 where I'm having my wedding

But it being marriott, I don't expect even an acknowledgement 10 years I know better to get my hopes up.
The most impressive aspect of your post is that you know 11 months in advance your hotel stay pattern for 2023 and can make the prediction with some certainty. You have an order and calmness to your life that I envy. My stays are generally scheduled and booked a couple of weeks in advance. A month tops. My life's a mess.

While you - almost certainly - won't get an acknowledgement from the hotel on the final LTP qualifying night (though I hope the hotel acknowledges your wedding - congrats) the advantage you have of completing the year count first is that when your stay posts and the night count increments above 600 you will be awarded your Lifetime Platinum status there and then. I am in the opposite situation and have 672 nights right now on 9 LTP years so have to wait until the year counter increments in Jan/Feb 2023 before my Lifetime status is reflected on my account. The waiting is almost unbearable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.