Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 20, 22, 12:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: gudugan
Wiki Link
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 22, 22, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by swag View Post
Be careful what you wish for.

Are you so sure that a LT Plat would be ranked above a credit card Plat? I'm not, in fact I'd expect the opposite. The credit card Plat is putting $695 new money into the ecosystem each year, while the LT Plat may not be spending any new money. Bonvoy has already tilted towards current spenders vs lifetime achievers with the milestone awards for 50 and 75 nights, that aren't given to lifetime status holders who don't reach those annual levels.
IIRC, Hilton prioritizes LT Diamond over Diamond, so maybe Marriott may do the same.

Now, does the FD even check that? I doubt
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:35 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S); Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Very clever of Marriott to crush the importance / value of LT Platinum.

Give it a couple of years for Marriott to recognise the error and we might see LT Titanium returning as a target...
With this instant devaluation of Platinum, the next logical move is to remove lounge access.

At least I can then save myself the bother of getting the remaining 200+ nights for LTP.
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:45 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Even the crappy Marriott IT has it . They still track LT points earned yet they dont show it anymore
The do not have the info to back track how many 75 nights years that is associated with a account. During the merger with SPG a lot of data was purged; when I requested what data MB was storing about my previous stays there was huge gaps on both SPG and MR related stays. I doubt they can reconcile my current year count using the data they have. Maybe they can start tracking the Titanium years post merger and set all Platinum years before merger equal to Titanium years and spin it as gesture of goodwill while they downgrade Platinum.

The most likely scenario is of course that nothing changes in terms of MB just that lounges in US/Canada get even more crowed and that you have to start paying for soft drinks and breakfast offering is a muffin and some coffee powder, now that is diluting Platinum benefits without even admitting it and making hotel owners happy in the process.

Now in the unlikely scenario they would introduce LTT again it would surprise me a lot if they would not just use Platinum years as tier, this since it is already in the system not that much of redevelopment to do etc.,...i.e. smaller IT budget for the project .... as a totally wild guess out of the blue:12 Years Platinum and 1000 Nights... but who knows ,,,
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
With this instant devaluation of Platinum, the next logical move is to remove lounge access.

At least I can then save myself the bother of getting the remaining 200+ nights for LTP.
Marriott won't reduce published benefits.

They will however pay no attention to hotels closing their lounges, refusing to upgrade, or offering little for breakfast.

Definitely not worth pursuing 200 more nights in any event...
UA-NYC and drod like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DallasEsq View Post
I doubt it. Now that anyone can get Plat without stepping foot in a hotel, Marriott can just have us work to qualify for Titanium every year. If they give it away through LT status we won't have to stay loyal year after year.
Nobody has to stay loyal year after year with a credit card status option.

A LT target makes some people stay loyal year after year, even though they probably shouldn't.

So by reopening LT Tit, they can make all those credit card Platinums work for 75+ nights chasing yet another target. (only to %$&^% them in 5-10 years from now...)
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Nobody has to stay loyal year after year with a credit card status option.
No one has to, but since most people in this country do not have more than 2 credit cards, chances are pretty high they will stay loyal to the brand of cards they hold.
Old Sep 23, 22, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22 View Post
IIRC, Hilton prioritizes LT Diamond over Diamond, so maybe Marriott may do the same.

Now, does the FD even check that? I doubt
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Marriott, at either the corporate or individual property level, does not care if you have lifetime diamond status
samosa and JfromTheBay like this.

Search this Thread