Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
This all comes down to communication, Marriotts always has had really bad communication. If you're not going to give us the status year fine, then come out and say it and explain why not. Not communicating wastes everyone's time and makes ppl more confused.
But what about the people who earned the status year in 2020? Those people who ended 2020 with > 50 nights or > 75 nights and have the screenshots to prove it and also have the screenshots to prove that no additional year was added in July 2020 when the status extension was applied.

This isn't about communication. This is about the incorrect application of lifetime year qualification rules on the IT system. It appears to affect many people on here and remember that we're just a small subset of the Bonvoy membership pool. I have a pending enquiry with the lurkers having sent them my screenshots by email so let's see if this is rectified. it's important to me because I just reached 600 lifetime nights and have > 50 nights in 2021 on the count so I should have 10 lifetime years now (of course I expect 2021's qualification to be applied in January 2022 so don't expect the lifetime status to update for the time being). Instead, I'm stubbornly stuck on 8 lifetime nights as the count has been since March 2020 when it last updated.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Datapoint:

I have not had a year where I fell under 75 nights (through various means, including these automatic grants/promos) in I don't know how long - probably at least a decade or better. In looking back through screenshots, my years counter has been the same since fall of 2019. I have LTTE, so it's not a big deal right now. But I'm just convinced that someday Marriott will come to their senses and revive LTTE - and introduce LT Amb. So someday it might matter...
Old Mar 12, 2021, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftrichard
If 2020's qualifying year will be added in January 2022 as opposed to everyone's expectation that it will be added as usual in March 2021 then will 2021's qualifying year be added in March 2022 as normal? I see no virtue in delaying the addition of 2020's qualifying year to January next year given the confusion this is causing amongst the membership but little sense in debating the reason behind it.

As far as I can see there are three groups of people and it's possible there are three different scenarios:

1. Members who didn't qualify by nights in 2020 but got the 12 months status extension through 2021.
2. Members who did qualify by nights in 2020 but did so because of the gifted nights halfway through the year.
3. Members who did qualify by nights in 2020 irrespective of the gifted nights.

As you say, a clear statement that is unambiguous about all these scenarios would be fantastic. And then a clear statement as to when the lifetime year for 2020 will be added. Somebody knows. It happens every year.
To clarify my specific situation, I was in #2. I hit Plat in December after a few stays and got a year added (partially based on gifted nights and credit card nights). But then I hit Plat again this year as a combo of credit card nights and gifted nights and I haven't had my number of years increment for this yet. In 2021 so far, I have not stayed at a Marriott.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by josephstern
To clarify my specific situation, I was in #2. I hit Plat in December after a few stays and got a year added (partially based on gifted nights and credit card nights). But then I hit Plat again this year as a combo of credit card nights and gifted nights and I haven't had my number of years increment for this yet. In 2021 so far, I have not stayed at a Marriott.
For the avoidance of doubt, you hit Plat in December *2020* and got a year added to the LTP count *when*?

You've hit Plat again already in 2021 (no stays, purely CC and gifted nights): this LTP year will be added in January 2022 according to the Marriott notice so that's normal.

I'm really interested in your first point. If you got a year added to the LTP count after you hit Plat in December 2020 then this is a new scenario that nobody has reported here before IIRC and indicates even more randomness in the application of lifetime years from 2020 qualification that we previously thought.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:59 pm

For the avoidance of doubt, you hit Plat in December *2020* and got a year added to the LTP count *when*?

You've hit Plat again already in 2021 (no stays, purely CC and gifted nights): this LTP year will be added in January 2022 according to the Marriott notice so that's normal.

I'm really interested in your first point. If you got a year added to the LTP count after you hit Plat in December 2020 then this is a new scenario that nobody has reported here before IIRC and indicates even more randomness in the application of lifetime years from 2020 qualification that we previously thought.
I did post back in February (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33063340-post1751.html) that my wife hit 50 nights in November, and had her lifetime counter switch sometime between mid and late February. I don't know if anyone else has posted that data point though.

Mine switched over last summer with the granting of the 38 nights as mentioned in their guidance.

Not replying to your post, but I also remember reading a blog pointing out the change in wording stating that the elite year would be given in the year earned and the year it was used, but don't remember which one and haven't dug through the T&C's.
ftrichard and JfromTheBay like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
But what about the people who earned the status year in 2020? Those people who ended 2020 with > 50 nights or > 75 nights and have the screenshots to prove it and also have the screenshots to prove that no additional year was added in July 2020 when the status extension was applied.

This isn't about communication. This is about the incorrect application of lifetime year qualification rules on the IT system. It appears to affect many people on here and remember that we're just a small subset of the Bonvoy membership pool. I have a pending enquiry with the lurkers having sent them my screenshots by email so let's see if this is rectified. it's important to me because I just reached 600 lifetime nights and have > 50 nights in 2021 on the count so I should have 10 lifetime years now (of course I expect 2021's qualification to be applied in January 2022 so don't expect the lifetime status to update for the time being). Instead, I'm stubbornly stuck on 8 lifetime nights as the count has been since March 2020 when it last updated.
First congrats on your achievement, that's huge and im glad your going to be off the hamster wheel. I'm in the same boat, I have an inquiry already with Marriott as well. Im missing years just like you and everyone else, I also have screenshots. Lurkers are very nice and they try to help as much as they can but we all know Marriott's IT has ALWAYS been horrible, do you think they are going to spend millions to change the system? They aren't going to change anything. Marriott doesn't think it affects them enough to justify a change. You are correct we are a small subset of Bonvoy members, that's exactly why they won't do anything. We care about the lifetime status, Marriott does not. They can care less if we're missing a year or 2, Marriott cares about their bottom line. If Marriott comes out and says no one will get a status change, will that stop you from going after lifetime status next year or the year after? They don't think it will, and honestly, it probably won't for me. That's why I keep on pushing for better communication, bc it won't cost them anything but better customer service and it's a change that'll actually make a difference. They won't fix anything that in their book isn't broken. This isn't broken for them, to them its just 1% or less of their members that are having issues. Would you fix something that affects 1% of your clients but costs you millions? Would it be more realistic to get better customer service and get better communication that is free?
ftrichard likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 4:13 am

This same situation from 2019 stick on 9 years, on Feb.2020 I make claim that I have missing one year on my counter reply was that all checked and counter is correct. I don't escalate because I don't have nights.
This year answer from them I must wait till end of april counters will be corected manualy in system but when I read here what members write I think I will still have only 9 years and no more. And next year Marriott will change rules and we need 900nights lifetime and you will tray again catch rabbit .... in this case Hyatt will see me more.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Datapoint:

... my years counter has been the same since fall of 2019. I have LTTE, so it's not a big deal right now. But I'm just convinced that someday Marriott will come to their senses and revive LTTE - and introduce LT Amb. So someday it might matter...
This aligns with a handful of other data points, including my own situation, that the year counter for LTTEs has not been incremented since achieving that LT level (maybe 2 or 3 others further up this thread and another 1 or 2 in a different thread that I don't recall the title of). I'm sure the IT wizards at Bonvoy will go back in and happily increment us for the missing years if LT Amb is created (NOT).
JfromTheBay likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I personally doubt they will ever bring LT AMB into the fold, I even doubt LTTE returning as it would be technologically a disaster for Marriott IT!
JfromTheBay likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by kauppias
I personally doubt they will ever bring LT AMB into the fold, I even doubt LTTE returning as it would be technologically a disaster for Marriott IT!
One thing is clear if any new higher LT-tier would be introduced it is very unlikely that it would include any threshold above 10+ PLT years ... any back population is a recipe for disaster maybe higher night requirement ...but a change to the year requirement seems impossible given how difficult it seems to count the year as it is....
Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Marriott Bonv°y could always include a new qualification for Lifetime Titanium Elite status that counts only Titanium years after 2022.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Marriott Bonv°y could always include a new qualification for Lifetime Titanium Elite status that counts only Titanium years after 2022.

Or could be that they count only years in the new program so for LTTE would require xx years as a TiT elite and XX nights so since TiT was only in Bonvoy years should be easy to count?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:42 am

Or could be that they count only years in the new program so for LTTE would require xx years as a TiT elite and XX nights so since TiT was only in Bonvoy years should be easy to count?
can you imagine the uproar for those that don’t have their pre-Bonvoy titanium (pre-75 night platinums) years included in the calculation? Might of well don’t create that headache and keep everything as is. Then again, Marriott loves to create headaches, so it might just happen
X-ON likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
can you imagine the uproar for those that don’t have their pre-Bonvoy titanium (pre-75 night platinums) years included in the calculation? Might of well don’t create that headache and keep everything as is. Then again, Marriott loves to create headaches, so it might just happen
Well I can imagine it, I am there too BUT it would not be a titanium year since there was NO titanium then 😂 they will NEVER make everyone happy, no matter what they do
Old Mar 13, 2021, 12:52 pm

Well I can imagine it, I am there too BUT it would not be a titanium year since there was NO titanium then 😂 they will NEVER make everyone happy, no matter what they do
but for sure those that got 75 nights under the previous system (and not qualify for the original LTTE) will be kicking and screaming to include those years. Marriott needs to just stay away from opening up to another cluster freak of things.
dayone and skywalkerLAX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.