Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by khabah
We're dealing with a company that wouldn't be able to tell its head from its posterior if you spotted them a cheek - that's how.

khabah
wait... you were incorrect in claiming Marriott didn’t calculate correctly and you are blaming Marriott? I bet more than a few others (probably a lot of others) claiming not getting credit in fact did get credit. Might as well claim ignorance because Marriott can’t get anything right anyways. I can buy that.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by myperks
if anything, Marriott will remove automatic lounge access before removing breakfast (a la Hilton Gold route) for Plats.
Hilton Gold despite it's practicality isn't a serious status. For over a decade it's been possible to obtain this tier with a back-to-back 4 stay fast track, sometimes even less. Hilton Gold is being given away like candy all over the world as part of credit cards and other memberships. Even their Diamond level is slowly going the same way.

Marriott Platinum (SPG Platinum) was never and still isn't as easy to obtain. It takes considerably more investment and effort to get Bonvoy Platinum than Hilton Gold and I doubt that Marriott would take away the lounge benefit of a status that requires customers to actually spend 50 nights at their hotels.

If the numbers swell too much I'd say the road they'll take is to turn the faucet off the credit card nights again. Either by only allowing one card to accumulate elite nights or reducing the number of nights to something like 5 similar to what Hyatt does.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RCyyz
That's just the thing though - people like me have demonstrated a willingness to go out of the way to divert stays (and $$$) to SPG then to Marriott properties. Operationally then, you'd think the corporation would be willing to do something like spending absolutely nothing to send an automated email or two to keep people like me warm to the brand.
Count me among those that didn't get an email recognizing my LTP status when I crossed the threshold in February. I think Marriott is just too big to care.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by yule_boy
Count me among those that didn't get an email recognizing my LTP status when I crossed the threshold in February. I think Marriott is just too big to care.
LTG came along time ago no recognition, but didnt suprise me. Soon enough it will change to LTP, perhaps they will email me then
yule_boy likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:04 pm

Is your “years as ... elite or higher” at the top of the app lifetime ... screen still incorrect vs. the bottom of that screen where you see a detailed breakdown of silver, gold, and plat?

that should be the easiest one to fix. It used to be correct till the app update...?
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
What are the chances that Platinum, and by extension Lifetime Platinum, no longer gets free breakfast or lounge access ?
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Nobody can give you an answer to this apart from wild speculation which will not help your concern. Maybe you could articulate further what your concern or situation is to get a more tailored response.

If you look at it competitively then the Platinum benefits we enjoy must be competitive in the market for hotel elite programmes so as long as 50 nights a year is generally the threshold in equivalent programmes for breakfast or lounge access or whatever else then the benefit should not be under threat as they are clearly benefits that elites value and are key motivators to drive to Platinum or equivalent 50-night elite status.
I'm Marriott Platinum and I've barely seen a free breakfast or been inside a lounge in almost a year. There are so many caveats, rules, and carve-outs to the breakfast benefit that it is an utter joke. Marriott's complex hierarchy of brands is just ridiculous and Marriott made matters worse by allowing every one of its properties to cheapen out and deny elite benefits under the guise of the pandemic.

Bonvoy is far more confusing than Starfraud Preferred Guest ever was.

So, if I were to speculate, Bonvoy will continue to offer free breakfast as a listed benefit but continue to give its customers (hotel developers) ample leeway to do whatever the heck they want without facing repercussions. Why rock the boat by changing the program T&Cs when you've already shown your willingness to give individual hotels carte blanche to ignore what they want to ignore?

Bonvoy sucks. Worse than Starfraud did.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm Marriott Platinum and I've barely seen a free breakfast or been inside a lounge in almost a year. There are so many caveats, rules, and carve-outs to the breakfast benefit that it is an utter joke. Marriott's complex hierarchy of brands is just ridiculous and Marriott made matters worse by allowing every one of its properties to cheapen out and deny elite benefits under the guise of the pandemic.

Bonvoy is far more confusing than Starfraud Preferred Guest ever was.

So, if I were to speculate, Bonvoy will continue to offer free breakfast as a listed benefit but continue to give its customers (hotel developers) ample leeway to do whatever the heck they want without facing repercussions. Why rock the boat by changing the program T&Cs when you've already shown your willingness to give individual hotels carte blanche to ignore what they want to ignore?

Bonvoy sucks. Worse than Starfraud did.
Well, you sound quite aggitated and your use of the term "Starfraud" indicates this dissatisfaction has been going on for quite some years so i'm not sure why you have persisted but no mattter on that one.

I, along with countless other Bonvoy members in this forum and around the world, recognise none of the issues you list with our Bonvoy memberships regarding breakfast or lounge access and I suspect you are articulating a personal experience with hotels in one country, the US, whereas we have continued to enjoy the published benefits, and more, throughout 2020 consistently at brands ranging from Courtyards and Four Points to JW and St. Regis with most brands in between.

Then again, your Platinum status has been basically gifted to you in the US for two years with up to 30 credit card nights and 25 bonus nights while the rest of us continue to earn our status by, you know, paying for nights so we should get some valuable benefits from our Bonvoy membership.

But, more seriously, you raise two issues that are not really connected. The first is the long-term published benefits of Platinum status however they are implemented on the ground which I do not believe are at risk but that's enough of my crystal ball gazing on that one. And the second is the continued poor implementation of those benefits in the US specifically using the pandemic as an excuse which may be a short term or a medium term problem for you but isn't an indication of intent with the programme's global benefits.

Under your circumstances, I'd simply stay at the hotel that I want to stay at and give them my money irrespective of brand affiliation if you're not getting any additional value from Bonvoy at the moment. If everyone in the US did that then they'd soon get the message coming through loud and clear in the numbers.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I, along with countless other Bonvoy members in this forum and around the world, recognise none of the issues you list with our Bonvoy memberships regarding breakfast or lounge access and I suspect you are articulating a personal experience with hotels in one country, the US, whereas we have continued to enjoy the published benefits, and more, throughout 2020 consistently at brands ranging from Courtyards and Four Points to JW and St. Regis with most brands in between.

Then again, your Platinum status has been basically gifted to you in the US for two years with up to 30 credit card nights and 25 bonus nights while the rest of us continue to earn our status by, you know, paying for nights so we should get some valuable benefits from our Bonvoy membership.
Move to Guam or the Northern Mariana Islands and get the best of both worlds. (Except for high airfares.)

Beaucoup Bonv°y! 🌴 😎 🇬🇺 🇲🇵 💚

Under your circumstances, I'd simply stay at the hotel that I want to stay at and give them my money irrespective of brand affiliation if you're not getting any additional value from Bonvoy at the moment. If everyone in the US did that then they'd soon get the message coming through loud and clear in the numbers.
Marriott would get Bonv°yed! 🙂 ​​​​​​​
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I do that and encourage everyone to do that. I do stay at the hotel where I want to stay and brand affiliation means very, very little.

While I hate Bonvoy as a program, I love certain hotels that participate in that program. And I hate other Bonvoy hotels. I almost always avoid hotels in the latter category (I can think of one exception, PHF, where the lousy full-service Marriott is, sadly, the least bad option in that particular market).

And yes, as a legacy Starfraud customer I do feel that the "overpromise, underdeliver" marketing fluff was a big problem going back to SPG days. The problem is that Bonvoy has widened the already generous (from a hotel owner/operator's perspective) loopholes that existed in SPG and added in many new layers of complexity to the program and its T&Cs.

When I have to consult a quick reference handbook to understand what differing benefits I get at each of 24 (?) different brands and even that QRH doesn't tell the whole story or allow me to manage my expectations accordingly, the program has a serious problem.

But long story short, I'm already doing exactly what you suggest. I will not pick a crap hotel just because I can earn a few points or elite qualification nights. I will stay at the best hotel in a certain market or I will pick the cheapest acceptable hotel in that market, depending on my mood. Maybe I will even game a promotion IF the value is sufficient... But I will not blindly chase points or status.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Marriott would get Bonv°yed! ​​​​​​​
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
ftrichard likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Mar 3, 2021 at 8:18 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:25 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yule_boy
FWIW, I received a letter along with an aluminum membership card when I got LTTE.
yule_boy and kauppias like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:26 am

When the lifetime year will be added this year (2021)?

Normally lifetime year will be added in March, so far still not. Does anyone know about this?
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:48 am

If you attained platinum or higher through the courtesy extension, you got the year already in July 2020.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
FWIW, I received a letter along with an aluminum membership card when I got LTTE.
not sure why people care about the email or the letter. Those that care are also the ones that don’t want to stay at Marriott anymore going forward so what’s the point
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:07 am

If you attained platinum or higher through the courtesy extension, you got the year already in July 2020.
so I will have to wait next year in 2022 to be added? I am on year 9 and 600 nights now. Was kind hoping get my lifetime status this year.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
not sure why people care about the email or the letter. Those that care are also the ones that don’t want to stay at Marriott anymore going forward so what’s the point
Perhaps its the thought that counts
Guate87 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.