Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by myperks
(Asking because I don’t remember)

did Marriott double up on the status years when accounts were merged? As in when there were reciprocal benefits, did those year double up for the same year, once from Marriott and once from SPG?

And if members separately before merger attained platinum years in the same year, did those double up?

Maybe Marriott’s system is so good that it’s recalculating the past and clawing back double ups?

As far as I remember the LT years were supposed to count double if you were both Marriott platinum and SPG platinum in the SAME YEAR
Pocatello likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
As far as I remember the LT years were supposed to count double if you were both Marriott platinum and SPG platinum in the SAME YEAR
Okay this makes sense but was it supposed to double count or was this a system error which Marriott now finds an opportunity to use, hence we have been given these generous 50% elite nights for the second year during the pandemic.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Okay this makes sense but was it supposed to double count or was this a system error which Marriott now finds an opportunity to use, hence we have been given these generous 50% elite nights for the second year during the pandemic.

If you want to be technical, Titanium Elites received more than 50% EQN. I am surprised nobody is calling fowl on that too.

I have been Titanium since the inception of the Tier. My Elite years haven't incremented since March 2020 but my totals are correct. Next update 2022. I will have over 100 nights in 2021 but won't have the spend for Ambassador so I won't receive my 2021 Elite year early. Currently at 79 nights & $1,835 in spend

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 23, 2021 at 1:22 pm
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by myperks
(Asking because I don’t remember)

did Marriott double up on the status years when accounts were merged? As in when there were reciprocal benefits, did those year double up for the same year, once from Marriott and once from SPG?

And if members separately before merger attained platinum years in the same year, did those double up?

Maybe Marriott’s system is so good that it’s recalculating the past and clawing back double ups?
Yes, you could double up on years, but not with the same nights. Before the programs merged, if you had Plat status with both chains, they could each count as a year. I remember in 2017/2018, many SPG people getting their Marriott Plat status by doing 8X $60 meetings as each meeting counted as 10 elite nights. This allowed them to earn 2 lifetime years in one year in the mad rush to qualify for LT Tit status.
JfromTheBay likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I think it is pretty obvious that something has gone wrong at MAR with respect to how and if the LT year for 2020 will get awarded. It is either a major disaster in communication or a major disaster in IT implementation or both. If it is so that the LT year supposedly got awarded during mid 2020 then apparently some accounts were left out. It could be so simple as that IT do not have the resources to run the labor intensive year end project so they pushed it into 2022 thinking that all Plt have gotten their status extended anyway. However inline with the prevailing culture at MAR they did very little effort to communicate this decision to anyone... Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they adjust the LT thresholds to account for the free nights awarded...
ftrichard and JfromTheBay like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by joakgarp
If you earned the statuses separately with enough nights/stays in each program's legacy brands, then it was supposed to count double.
If you earned status on only one side and got status in the other via the reciprocity/match, then it was supposed to count only the earned one.

But when the years of status counter was unveiled, members never got a definite accounting of what years were counted (or should have been counted), so who knows whether some members got IT-incorrectly calculated years (plus or minus)?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by swag
If you earned the statuses separately with enough nights/stays in each program's legacy brands, then it was supposed to count double.
If you earned status on only one side and got status in the other via the reciprocity/match, then it was supposed to count only the earned one.

But when the years of status counter was unveiled, members never got a definite accounting of what years were counted (or should have been counted), so who knows whether some members got IT-incorrectly calculated years (plus or minus)?
i have screenshots from SPG site with the lifetime years and number of platinum years... but can’t find any on the Marriott side pre merger showing number of platinum nights nor do I remember if I knew my years were correct when combined other than it hit the lifetime threshold. I wonder for those that have Marriott saying their years are correct are being retroactively reviewed or something because the night were combined and that’s all they see (rather than a separation of years pre merger)
Old Mar 23, 2021, 3:52 pm

still waiting.......
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:49 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by ezron
still waiting.......
At this point I have a feeling we have been forgotten and bonvoyed
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 4:29 am

Guys, got a reply from the very helpful lurker (thanks!!). Posting here in an anonymized format with my comments

I had noted that the counter increased in Feb 2020 (from 4 to 5) and never since then, i.e. not in July, not now, as for many of you. The lurker kindly analyzed my profile and came back to me:
"We have reviewed the file and the team advised that the number of Platinum elite year is correct. For your account number ending in xxxx, you have achieved Platinum status in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and for your account number ending in xxxx, you have achieved Platinum status in 2018." -- so I'm double-confirming if indeed the counter was indeed 'wrong' all the time and now it has been fixed? I unfortunately have no way of verifying this... Guess I wasn't that much of a Marriott aficionado back then and didn't keep screenshots / logs of my stays.

I also asked if I need to reach 50 to keep Platinum as a lifetime year for 2021 (to be credited early 2022). The Lurker's reply:
"The Elite Status Extension for COVID-19 counts towards Lifetime tenure years."

Hence this seems to confirm a question made previously whether to get the year we need to 1) do nothing 2) reach 50 with the credit nights 3) reach 50 without the credit nights. Seems to be 1).

hope this helps
Old Mar 24, 2021, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sorry, but no, that really doesn't help at all.

This statement: "The Elite Status Extension for COVID-19 counts towards Lifetime tenure years." hasn't shown to be true for any of us on this thread, right? They tried to use something similar on me, and yet I didn't have Plat status before Covid, so it made even less sense in my situation.

I'm amazed that Marriott is digging in on this despite the overwhelming evidence that they are incorrect.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:33 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm amazed that Marriott is digging in on this despite the overwhelming evidence that they are incorrect.
I hope this foolish, penny-wise will cost them. I've already moved whatever shards of travel I can take to Hyatt... and even to IHG. They won't be getting another dollar from me, and I genuinely hope other Ambassador Elites/high-spending customers move elsewhere.

khabah
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:56 am

I’m speculating more and more that for those that ask for recalc of their years, Marriott is using a different method to calculate years which resulted in previous years incorrectly shown and now it’s “correct” per Marriott (and by default their system).

Originally Posted by mark_tew
Guys, got a reply from the very helpful lurker (thanks!!). Posting here in an anonymized format with my comments

I had noted that the counter increased in Feb 2020 (from 4 to 5) and never since then, i.e. not in July, not now, as for many of you. The lurker kindly analyzed my profile and came back to me:
"We have reviewed the file and the team advised that the number of Platinum elite year is correct. For your account number ending in xxxx, you have achieved Platinum status in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and for your account number ending in xxxx, you have achieved Platinum status in 2018." -- so I'm double-confirming if indeed the counter was indeed 'wrong' all the time and now it has been fixed? I unfortunately have no way of verifying this... Guess I wasn't that much of a Marriott aficionado back then and didn't keep screenshots / logs of my stays.

I also asked if I need to reach 50 to keep Platinum as a lifetime year for 2021 (to be credited early 2022). The Lurker's reply:
"The Elite Status Extension for COVID-19 counts towards Lifetime tenure years."

Hence this seems to confirm a question made previously whether to get the year we need to 1) do nothing 2) reach 50 with the credit nights 3) reach 50 without the credit nights. Seems to be 1).

hope this helps
Your post really need some context on what you think your years should be, what Marriott has you listed as, and why you have two accounts in their reply.

Originally Posted by khabah
I hope this foolish, penny-wise will cost them. I've already moved whatever shards of travel I can take to Hyatt... and even to IHG. They won't be getting another dollar from me, and I genuinely hope other Ambassador Elites/high-spending customers move elsewhere.

khabah
Vote with your wallet really only works if you are not close to lifetime. Members that are say year 8 or 9 in platinum status will undoubtedly try to make it across the finish line, whenever that is.
SPN Lifer and kauppias like this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Is there any news when Marriott would be updating LT elite years?
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rmc1 (Post # 1915)
So I emailed the lurker (post 822) and included screen shots from 09 Mar 2020 showing 9 years lifetime and screenshot from today showing 9 years still even after earning Platinum Elite last year. They wrote back:
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonv°y (Post # 1915)
Lifetime years are reviewed manually during our yearly account audit. It takes place around the end of March or beginning of April. You won't see Lifetime status if current elite level is higher. Therefore, please allow more time for your Lifetime years to be updated and you may reach out to us again if you do not see the update on your Lifetime years on your account in April.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is there any news when Marriott would be updating LT elite years?
April 2021?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.