Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
The unannounced change in Category will be more common under Marriott management.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Though mid year category changes happened in the past with Marriott it wasn’t a common thing. I do agree I think this will happen more in the future.

on the other side of the coin, as a Cat 5 this was easily one of the best points redemptions related to nights normal cash price. A property that spend most nights of the at over $400 isn’t likely to stay 35k a night very long as the cash price pushed members to redeem point especially on a 5 night free.

it’s actually one of the few desirable properties that I’ve seen off peak pricing, it’s was off peak (30k) and still is (40k) after mid August next year. After school starts in California. this was an excellent deal on points and at 40k it still is.

but now it’s the same category as the next door Mauna Kea which is also off peak at the same time.

I’d assume late August and early September weather is still good there
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Ripley62

I’d assume late August and early September weather is still good there
Yes, just keep an eye out for Hurricanes.
Ripley62 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:52 pm

What a bummer for me!!

I shortlisted this property for July, booked 2 rooms for 5 nights on points with a total of 1,40,000 points per room, applied for Amex Plat card costing 980 USD here in India which would get me 145000 points if applied before 30th Sept. I was all set to transfer these points to Marriott as there is a current offer in India, get 50% more points. So I would have got 217500 points and made some expenses on the card to get that extra point, so I can get my 280000 points required for 5 nights, 2 rooms.
Now all of sudden it has changed cat and I need a total of 4,00,000 points instead of 2,80,000.

Is Maun Kea much better than Westin? It cost way more but I'm liking Westin and looks to have better rooms and pools.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Wonderful...my rate just went from 280,000 to 400,000 for 10 nights in April of next year! ARGH! I have 223K and was building towards the 280K. Man, this PISSES me off!!!
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This hotel was a great deal as a category 5, especially with the reduced low season rates, but as a category 6 there is no way it is better than the MK for the same number of points. Plus they have the crappy resort fee + parking whilst MK has only parking fees.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Does anyone have a contact at the hotel who is willing to acknowledge this recent and stealthy category change? I am trying to confirm a PA res booked in April, but everyone is insisting the hotel has always been category 6 and they are wanting to charge me the Cat 6 rates. Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Does anyone have a contact at the hotel who is willing to acknowledge this recent and stealthy category change? I am trying to confirm a PA res booked in April, but everyone is insisting the hotel has always been category 6 and they are wanting to charge me the Cat 6 rates. Thanks!
i don’t have any direct contact with the hotel but, last Saturday night I called the titanium number about the change. I wanted to attach at Cat 5, 7 night certificate to an existing cat 5 reservation. The CSR I was on the phone with call the hotel. I was told by the CSR that the hotel said they changed categories on October 1 from cat 5 to cat 6.

i recieved an email from Marriott that even though my reservation was booked on points as a category 5 my category 5 certificate could not be attached to the reservation because in the increased in category.

the change happened with no notification on October 1st I was told
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:17 pm

I made reservations here on Sep 13 for next year, and noticed recently Marriott went in and took our more points from my account. I clearly reserved before Oct 1.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
I made reservations here on Sep 13 for next year, and noticed recently Marriott went in and took our more points from my account. I clearly reserved before Oct 1.

What do you mean? I booked in September and still the same points.

Did you deduct points in September? If not, you used point advance. Point advance does not guarantee points any more.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:09 am

I have two nights solo before meeting friends and family in Hilo. I still haven't decided whether I should stay at the CY in Kona for two nights, or do a night here and one at the CY in Kona. I have a 30k, 1 night reservation here, the other night reserved at the CY, and a separate 2 night reservation at the CY. I booked the single nights thinking I'll check out this renovated property to see if I'd be interested in the future. I'm a week away and still undecided which reservations to keep. Would anyone recommend staying here for a single night as a solo? I've never stayed at a resort solo, nor done a single night at a resort.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Cplusplus
I have two nights solo before meeting friends and family in Hilo. I still haven't decided whether I should stay at the CY in Kona for two nights, or do a night here and one at the CY in Kona. I have a 30k, 1 night reservation here, the other night reserved at the CY, and a separate 2 night reservation at the CY. I booked the single nights thinking I'll check out this renovated property to see if I'd be interested in the future. I'm a week away and still undecided which reservations to keep. Would anyone recommend staying here for a single night as a solo? I've never stayed at a resort solo, nor done a single night at a resort.
Why not? I did a solo night at the Wailea Marriott once and found it quite relaxing. You can walk along the coast or ride the free shuttle to the Mauna Kea and check that out as well, or you could rent a SUP board if you're feeling up for that, or just grab a lounger and read. Do you play golf?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Cplusplus
Unless you really need to be in Kona, or the price difference is huge, I'd try to spend all my nights at Hapuna Beach. The Kona CY is OK but not nearly as special as Hapuna. Plus you can drive the saddle road from Hapuna over to Hilo and it's much quicker than going around the south side of the island.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
And ....

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Unless you really need to be in Kona, or the price difference is huge, I'd try to spend all my nights at Hapuna Beach. The Kona CY is OK but not nearly as special as Hapuna. Plus you can drive the saddle road from Hapuna over to Hilo and it's much quicker than going around the south side of the island.
it's a great drive:

Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I just checked now, the other (of 2)date is sold out. I should've made another 2 night reservation like I did at the CY. Oh well, I guess its 1 night at the CY and 1 night at Hapuna. Thanks for the input guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.