Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I was there in August with a group. I gave the the hotel something like 170 nights of business. Part of our stay overlapped the 8/18 integration of Marriott and SPG. Under our contract, we had one guaranteed suite upgrade and three other upgrades to the best available room, including suite, at check-in. Basically, we had to fight tooth-and-nail for the three upgrades, despite the hotel being dead.

While the property has its own general manager all of the other back office management and ownership is the same as the Mauna Kea, Autograph Collection. It's actually kind of weird because some employees, like maintenance, wear Mauna Kea clothing and even the Westin gift shop sells only Mauna Kea-branded attire. You really feel as if you're staying in a cheaper annex of Mauna Kea, but I digress.

It could have been that this was a new Westin and staff weren't familiar with the upgrade benefits, but given the fact that we had contractual upgrades and the fact that the Mauna Kea is known to be stingy with elite benefits I don't think I would expect anything more than what I booked, unless you're willing to fight for the upgrade and escalate to the general manager. For what it's worth, it took forever for the property to post the points and send me a final folio for our master account. Island time is very much a real thing. When I was on-property everyone was warm and welcoming but I could see that island time is very much a real affliction (even for managers).

This is a beautiful hotel, albeit with some weird design flaws (see my review, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30086224-post1.html). I'm not happy with how they handled (and may still handle) the construction. I had to throw a fuss to get all of our event participants moved to rooms away from the construction. They actually assigned some of them rooms directly adjoining an active construction site.

I would be curious to know if they have changed the food-and-beverage now that they've had nearly a year to get things straightened out. When I was there the big complaint was insufficient variety of dinner options. Besides only having two restaurants -- three if you count the room service menu -- the menu never changed. I don't mind eating the same food every night if the food is good, but I know most of the 40 or so people in our group were tired of the limited food choices after three nights.
Which extra amenity did you receive as a replacement for the resort fee amenities for which you're already entitled as a Platinum Elite?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

Which extra amenity did you receive as a replacement for the resort fee amenities for which you're already entitled as a Platinum Elite?
They ended up deducting $9 a day from the resort fee.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:22 am

Hello everyone! My wife and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii for the first week of June. How would you compare this to Maui's sheraton/westin? I would love to find a category 5 we are happy with and save the points. We are thinking 7-8 nights. Prefer to stay at one island, but are considering doing 5 nights and 3 nights. We want a mix of beach relaxation and exploration in the forests.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by conner11
Hello everyone! My wife and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii for the first week of June. How would you compare this to Maui's sheraton/westin? I would love to find a category 5 we are happy with and save the points. We are thinking 7-8 nights. Prefer to stay at one island, but are considering doing 5 nights and 3 nights. We want a mix of beach relaxation and exploration in the forests.
I can't speak to June but, in general, Maui is overcrowded and very touristy. The Big Island is massive. So much more to see and do.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I can't speak to June but, in general, Maui is overcrowded and very touristy. The Big Island is massive. So much more to see and do.
Some people like the Maui scene, there are lots of nice beaches on Maui and the beaches on the Big Island can be harder to find. But I hate the bumper to bumper traffic Maui has these days, quite frankly I may never go back to Maui except for maybe a short visit, wedding, conference etc. That said if you never plan to leave your resort the traffic may not be an issue.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Some people like the Maui scene, there are lots of nice beaches on Maui and the beaches on the Big Island can be harder to find. But I hate the bumper to bumper traffic Maui has these days, quite frankly I may never go back to Maui except for maybe a short visit, wedding, conference etc. That said if you never plan to leave your resort the traffic may not be an issue.
I thought Kauai had the worst bumper to bumper traffic until I went to Maui and was like wow... it's that bad at all times of the day especially on the Road to Hana.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:31 pm

I think Hapuna's renovations are completed so it is probably nicer than the Sheraton/Westin on Maui. Hapuna is also kind of isolated and loosely connected to Mauna Kea Beach. If you are going to stay 8 nights you can split up your trip on the Big Island so you can stay part of the time at Hapuna and the other on the east side.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:55 pm

Does anyone know when the construction next door will be complete?

How is Hapuna Beach compared to other Hawaii beaches? We want a really nice beach to be based at. How is Hapuna compared to the Maui beaches at the Maui sheraton/westin?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone know when the construction next door will be complete?

How is Hapuna Beach compared to other Hawaii beaches? We want a really nice beach to be based at. How is Hapuna compared to the Maui beaches at the Maui sheraton/westin?
Construction was still going on before Christmas, so it won't be complete anytime soon.

Hapuna Beach is much nicer than beaches around Westin Mauai. Some consider Mauna Kea Beach to be the best in all of Hawaii, but I prefer Hapuna Beach over Mauna Kea Beach. Hapnua is much bigger, and never crowded right before Christmas when the hotel was sold out. Mauna Kea Beach felt more crowded. Just south of Hapuna is Beach 69, which is much smaller but interesting and lots of shallow reef for decent snorkeling.

Hapuna Beach and Big Island is just more relaxed and a lot of things to do. There's also nice snorkeling and world class diving at Two Step, south of Kona. No sandy beach, you have to take two big steps off rocks to get into the ocean.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Hmmm, I wonder if it was a good idea to book this hotel for October, but the LNF rate of $162 down from $350 was too enticing to pass up.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:16 am

Thanks Everyone! Do you think 7 nights is too much for this area since there is not much around? We want to do ~4 days on the beach relaxing and water activities, then ~3 days more adventurous activities like the volcanoes, hiking, etc. I would prefer to stay at the same place, put if the adventurous activities are not close by then we may do 3 nights somewhere else on the island.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone! Do you think 7 nights is too much for this area since there is not much around? We want to do ~4 days on the beach relaxing and water activities, then ~3 days more adventurous activities like the volcanoes, hiking, etc. I would prefer to stay at the same place, put if the adventurous activities are not close by then we may do 3 nights somewhere else on the island.
You might want to look at a hotel in the south or eastern side of the island, near Hilo. You could drive there, but it's a good drive and would get tiring if you did it every day for three or four days.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by muran
I think Hapuna's renovations are completed so it is probably nicer than the Sheraton/Westin on Maui. Hapuna is also kind of isolated and loosely connected to Mauna Kea Beach. If you are going to stay 8 nights you can split up your trip on the Big Island so you can stay part of the time at Hapuna and the other on the east side.
My wife and I just did a points stay at Westin Hapuna from 7-12 Feb. Our upgraded room (Premium Ocean view) on the 9th floor (top level) was on the North Wing just behind the Hapuna Beach Residences block that is *STILL* under construction. Having been alerted on FT to the construction, the fact that our stay was over the weekend (no work), and the fact that we spent a fair bit of time out of the hotel, meant that the noise was less an issue than expected. Nevertheless, there was a lot of drilling noise and some jackhammering going on, which was muted but audible enough through the glass balcony doors. Upon checkout, one of the FD told us that they thought that the construction would be done by end of 2019.

While some FTers have reported that it's walkable from Hapuna Beach to Mauna Kea Beach, and the Hapuna staff certainly did not deny it, they recommended that my wife and I drive over to Mauna Kea and valet park since as Hapuna guests we would not be charged any parking fees. This was a good recommendation that worked a treat.

Incidentally, our stay on the Big Island was divided into 4 nights in Hilo (Hilton Doubletree Grand Naniloa), 5 nights at the Westin Hapuna, and 2 nights at the Marriott Waikoloa Beach.
bizum likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:14 am

Just did an 11 night stay on the Big Island, divided into 4 nights in Hilo and 7 on the Kona side. At Hilo, we did Volcanoes National Park, Waipio Valley, Tropical Botanic Gardens and a couple of small waterfalls (Rainbow, Boiling Pots, Akaka). My wife and I are not used to driving long distances (especially on the other side of the road), so it made sense for us to do all those sites from Hilo than from Kohala/Waikoloa. 11 nights would have been comfortable but as it turned out thanks to the low pressure system that hit the island chain on the weekend of 9-10 Feb, we were unable to do a number of marine activities and Mauna Kea for the rest of our stay on Big Island. Them's the breaks...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
Construction was still going on before Christmas, so it won't be complete anytime soon.

Hapuna Beach is much nicer than beaches around Westin Mauai. Some consider Mauna Kea Beach to be the best in all of Hawaii, but I prefer Hapuna Beach over Mauna Kea Beach. Hapnua is much bigger, and never crowded right before Christmas when the hotel was sold out. Mauna Kea Beach felt more crowded. Just south of Hapuna is Beach 69, which is much smaller but interesting and lots of shallow reef for decent snorkeling.

Hapuna Beach and Big Island is just more relaxed and a lot of things to do. There's also nice snorkeling and world class diving at Two Step, south of Kona. No sandy beach, you have to take two big steps off rocks to get into the ocean.
We stayed at the Sheraton Maui in Dec 2015. The Black Rock beach is very different from the Mauna Kea and Hapuna beaches - more sheltered, much more swimmable and snorkeling with the house honu. Mauna Kea and Hapuna have bigger surf (Hapuna is certainly a surf beach), and Hapuna has definitely more riptides. A-Bay at the Waikoloa Beach Resort was much more calm than Mauna Kea and definitely Hapuna, and looks like easy snorkeling (other than a bit of boat traffic). My wife and I did not snorkel A-Bay so can't comment on quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.