Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist.
Has anyone been lately and can provide a construction / noise update? Have a stay coming up in two weeks and debating cancelling.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Stayed there earlier this month.

it was a very good resort, much better than average NA westins.

Regarding noise from condo refurbishment, it was bearable to me. I rarely stayed in the resort during the day (mostly went out to explore the island for full day long) so the noise was not bothering me. I can hear little to moderate noise from the beach. However expect at least a year for this conversion to be finished.

all in all, a very good and enjoyable stay. free buffet breakfast for platinum in lieu of 1000 points (a bit boring after couple of days though). Service was very good as well. Staff were nice and friendly. Hotel ground is well maintained. The beach is spectacular.

it has strong potential to become a great resort, even better than its sister property Mauna Kea. Im pretty sure it will not sit at cat 5 for long.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The building under construction directs noise towards ocean. You can hear moderate noise on beach but pool side is the worse.

Rooms, however, are not too bad. Construction is in front of North Wing; you can barely hear anything in South Wing. OTOH, North Wing has better ocean view than South. Overall, I think it is acceptable unless you spend all day by the family pool. I still prefer North Wing even with slight noise.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
i do suggest a room in the North Wing, only 7th floor or higher. my room was on 6th floor and had direct ocean view but there were some workers doing their job on the condo rooftop, so privacy may be an issue.

South wing also has ocean view too but in a bit far distance than North Wing. I believe there is little to no construction noise there. If you stay in the South wing, it is shorter walk to the parking garage. Gym and Spa also located in the South Wing.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
all in all, a very good and enjoyable stay. free buffet breakfast for platinum in lieu of 1000 points (a bit boring after couple of days though).
That's true for all of the food and beverage outlets in the hotel. There just isn't enough variety nor quality for more than 3-4 days.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Just completed my 2nd stay since July. I was here grand opening weekend (Friday afternoon til Monday morning) so I did not see/hear any construction noise from the condos.
This visit was Sat-Wednesday and starting Monday 9am the noise started. It’s not bad from the rooms (had wing right behind condos)
The pool and beach it’s quite noticeable. Sort of ruined the nice quit ocean sound from the beach one would like.
Overall I was hoping they would have added a few “Hawaiian” touches around the lobby etc but they have not. The hotel feels very cold still. Not a bad value thou since I have been getting $247 rates or 35k per night
I actually took a few videos of noise and would happy to share with anyone but can’t attach here for some reason
bizum likes this.

Last edited by cbrown5294; Oct 17, 2018 at 8:24 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Just completed my 2nd stay since July. I was here grand opening weekend (Friday afternoon til Monday morning) so I did not see/hear any construction noise from the condos.
This visit was Sat-Wednesday and starting Monday 9am the noise started. It’s not bad from the rooms (had wing right behind condos)
The pool and beach it’s quite noticeable. Sort of ruined the nice quit ocean sound from the beach one would like.
Overall I was hoping they would have added a few “Hawaiian” touches around the lobby etc but they have not. The hotel feels very cold still. Not a bad value thou since I have been getting $247 rates or 35k per night
I actually took a few videos of noise and would happy to share with anyone but can’t attach here for some reason

It's amazing to this day the hotel doesn't warn potential guests about the noise with a disclaimer on its website.

Speaking of the missing Hawaiian vibe, I noticed this in the rooms. Most Hawaii hotels, including Westins, have Kona coffee instead of whatever the typical brand standard coffee may be. This property has the standard Starbucks coffee.

This is one of those hotels that is so close to being an amazing hotel. So many little fixes here and there would make it much, much better. Sometimes I wonder how hotel general managers and owners, who are in the business, miss these things.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's amazing to this day the hotel doesn't warn potential guests about the noise with a disclaimer on its website......
Technically, it is construction on adjacent property. The building under construction was sold to a third party who is developing it into timeshare.

W Bali Seminyak has the same issue. There is no warning on website but adjacent project is under construction. Properties are so close to each other the construction crane boom swings over Woobar from time to time.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
Technically, it is construction on adjacent property. The building under construction was sold to a third party who is developing it into timeshare.

W Bali Seminyak has the same issue. There is no warning on website but adjacent project is under construction. Properties are so close to each other the construction crane boom swings over Woobar from time to time.
If the timeshare didn't have a sales office in the hotel I would agree that it was a third party, but the hotel is being too cute by half here.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
I'll be there for a 5 night stay in a couple weeks. Is the construction noise absent on the weekends? Is there any pattern to when it's worse/better? Our trip is close enough that we're starting to outline some activities, and if there was a better time to hang out at the resort, I'd start planning those days accordingly.
bizum likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Whether the noise is from a construction project affiliated with the hotel or not seems irrelevant to me. Regardless, the hotel should be aware of the construction and informing guests of the potential for construction noise. Obviously, they may have less information on specific construction schedules if it’s not affiliated, but a general warning still seems warranted.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
The website says mini-fridge and microwave are included in the room type I will be staying in (standard 2 queens) but then the description says not every amenity is available in every room. I think the room amenities is a generic list for the whole hotel. Does anyone know if there are indeed microwaves and mini-fridges in every room at this hotel? Our shopping cart at Kona Walmart will look quite different depending on the answer!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valuetactics
The website says mini-fridge and microwave are included in the room type I will be staying in (standard 2 queens) but then the description says not every amenity is available in every room. I think the room amenities is a generic list for the whole hotel. Does anyone know if there are indeed microwaves and mini-fridges in every room at this hotel? Our shopping cart at Kona Walmart will look quite different depending on the answer!
Fridges yes, but no microwave.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by valuetactics
I'll be there for a 5 night stay in a couple weeks. Is the construction noise absent on the weekends? Is there any pattern to when it's worse/better? Our trip is close enough that we're starting to outline some activities, and if there was a better time to hang out at the resort, I'd start planning those days accordingly.
Hope you had a good trip, would love to hear how it went! Does anyone know when the construction is scheduled to end?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP
Just completed a 3 night stay

Construction noise is still ongoing, though coming in with proper expectations it was not as bad as I was expecting. We were in the north wing (8th floor) and really couldn’t hear anything with the sliding doors closed. More noise at the beach and pool, but it sort of became background noise after a short while.

I would be surprised if the property was at 25 percent occupancy during our stay. At most a half a dozen tables taken at breakfast each morning, hardly a soul at the pool, and no more than 10-15 people in beach loungers at any given time. Despite that, we were only granted a 2:00 pm late checkout (Platinum). Given the flat denials detailed upthread, I didn’t press the issue.

I appreciated the fact that gratuity was included in the quite good breakfast buffet benefit (to the point where the servers crossed out the gratuity line on the bill and wrote “inclusive”). The beach area is great, and much more swimmable than many in Hawaii. The snorkeling is very solid around the north end of the property from the beach, without a lot of other people to compete with for the space. The reef wall runs further along the coast than I could swim.

I would certainly come again, though I agree with everything previously written about the lack of island touches, Kona coffee, etc. I couldn’t imagine staying here for more than a few days given the lack of things there are to do/eat in close proximity, but that may be more of a personal preference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.