Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Surprisingly after 500+ nights I finally ran into my first hotel that wanted to deny me my 4PM late checkout request.

They were nice enough to eventually say “as a one time courtesy I will give you a 4PM late checkout but going forward it is based on availability”
Assuming this is not a resort and 4pm is supposedly guaranteed then the correct response: “OK, great, I will stay in your hotel as a one-time courtesy too”
Tanic, DJ_Iceman, bawm and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 9:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Assuming this is not a resort and 4pm is supposedly guaranteed then the correct response: “OK, great, I will stay in your hotel as a one-time courtesy too”
*I will pay for the room as a one-time courtesy
dgreen12, SPN Lifer, Tanic and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
It's become quite the circle because the same hotels that don't honor 4PM or even near that for check-out are the same places that don't offer daily housekeeping and complain they need to clean rooms for guests coming but won't hire the staff to do so fast enough. The fact that check-in at hotels is 4PM but at first stays I've been told at standard Marriott and Courtyards that my room isn't ready yet lol.
EuropeanPete, KRSW and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by cubeman
It's become quite the circle because the same hotels that don't honor 4PM or even near that for check-out are the same places that don't offer daily housekeeping and complain they need to clean rooms for guests coming but won't hire the staff to do so fast enough. The fact that check-in at hotels is 4PM but at first stays I've been told at standard Marriott and Courtyards that my room isn't ready yet lol.
I've noticed that correlation too. The hotels that try to avoid giving out a 4 PM checkout are the same hotels that never have a room ready on time.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
name and shame and name and shame and name and shame and...
dgreen12 and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: AA LT plat; Delta Gold; Marriott LT titanium; Hilton Silver
Palm Beach Gardens (FL) Marriott recent one night stay. Asked for a 3PM check out and was given it no issues at all.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Humaniti Hotel Montréal, Autograph Collection, recent stay (past few days). Similar to Jimgotkp's experience, was told it was "on availability" on day of check out. When I pressed that it is not a resort nor convention property and that as a Titanium it is a guarantee, they confirmed as "a courtesy" (this was the day before check out, when I noticed the app still said 12:00).

In the end it worked out, but it left a blemish on an otherwise nice stay (totally unnecessarily).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
Are Design Hotels included in the guarantee? I was denied any sort of late checkout recently at the 11 Howard.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:49 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mciampa
Are Design Hotels included in the guarantee? I was denied any sort of late checkout recently at the 11 Howard.
Only on availability at Design Hotels. 4.3.c.v. in the terms: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite
cmd320 and mciampa like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mciampa
v. 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit.
SPN Lifer, KRSW and mciampa like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Marriott Downtown Kansas City

Perfect example no daily room cleaning...asked for 4pm checkout as a Titanium said they don't have to since they are a convention property. They offered 1pm, I told them to pound sand. After threatening to burn down the village they offered a "one-time courtesy" of 4pm. Like I will ever be back.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
If you read the Marriott Bonv°y terms and conditions, the Platinum Elite guaranteed 4:00 p.m. late checkout does not apply to resorts and convention properties.

As a current Titanium Elite and soon-to-be Lifetime Platinum Elite, this benefit is often one of the most important to me.

If it is similarly important to you, be sure to check the category of property before booking.
Tanic, KRSW and mildfrequence like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
If you read the Marriott Bonv°y terms and conditions, the Platinum Elite guaranteed 4:00 p.m. late checkout does not apply to resorts and convention properties.

As a current Titanium Elite and soon-to-be Lifetime Platinum Elite, this benefit is often one of the most important to me.

If it is similarly important to you, be sure to check the category of property before booking.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment as regards your reply to that post, wouldn't it be wonderful if Marriott just took the guesswork out of it and maintained a list of these exempt properties that's available publicly somewhere? Can't be that hard to do, unless obfuscation is to the benefit of your primary customer - the franchisee.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Whilst I agree with the sentiment as regards your reply to that post, wouldn't it be wonderful if Marriott just took the guesswork out of it and maintained a list of these exempt properties that's available publicly somewhere? Can't be that hard to do, unless obfuscation is to the benefit of your primary customer - the franchisee.
Well, this thread's wiki has a link to be able to identify said hotels: Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

David
SPN Lifer and qlaval like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, this thread's wiki has a link to be able to identify said hotels: Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

David
Right, but they formerly had a list of these hotels one could cross reference versus needing to use your link to search. Its being made difficult for a reason - and above in this very thread I litigated the issue with Marriott on Twitter who advised that a property can deem themselves a resort (by virtue of it being in the name) regardless of if the property showed up in your link or not (it doesn't - Moxy South Beach for reference).

Again, if only they had a list of these properties - we could all avoid any confusion. It shouldn't require any audit on the part of the guest to ascertain what elite benefits we're entitled to receive.
SPN Lifer, KRSW, hotelprof and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.