Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Lamach2288
I’m staying in the W Hong Kong in a suite and they said they can give me 4pm late check out but I need to move to a standard room at around noon. Any idea if that’s in line with marriott policy ?
Did you book a standard room and were upgraded to a suite? If so, then that would be reasonable. If you booked a suite, the hotel should let you stay, but Marriott does not enforce their late check out "guarantee."
SPN Lifer and anteater like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Lamach2288
Curious to know what’s the policy on whether the 4pm late check out guarantee is for the room type that you booked?
There is no caveat that 4pm check out is guaranteed only for the original room type.

Personally, I would be understanding of the situation if at check in they gave me the option to either be upgraded or retain 4pm checkout. I get that for some hotels there can be a limited amount of certain types of suites and if they are booked the following day they may need those rooms turned around earlier than 5-6pm.

With that said, I would not be understanding if they upgraded me and didn't communicate this at check in, then tried to kick me out at noon the next day.
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cmd320
There is no caveat that 4pm check out is guaranteed only for the original room type.

Personally, I would be understanding of the situation if at check in they gave me the option to either be upgraded or retain 4pm checkout. I get that for some hotels there can be a limited amount of certain types of suites and if they are booked the following day they may need those rooms turned around earlier than 5-6pm.

With that said, I would not be understanding if they upgraded me and didn't communicate this at check in, then tried to kick me out at noon the next day.
Exactly what happened to me recently at LM Central Park. Denied 2 pm checkout since I was upgraded to a “premium” room. I had to push just to get noon since they first wanted to kick me out at 11 am.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 1:29 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by econ
Exactly what happened to me recently at LM Central Park. Denied 2 pm checkout since I was upgraded to a “premium” room. I had to push just to get noon since they first wanted to kick me out at 11 am.
Very weird. We were upgraded to a Central Park suite at the LMCP and were able to confirm a 4 PM late check-out in the app on the day of check-in.

Did the reject your app confirmation? Mind sharing your status/initial room type?
Old May 29, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Very weird. We were upgraded to a Central Park suite at the LMCP and were able to confirm a 4 PM late check-out in the app on the day of check-in.

Did the reject your app confirmation? Mind sharing your status/initial room type?
I’m a lowly Gold, so only 2 pm checkouts for me, well at least some of the time.

Booked the base level room, upgraded to Manhattan King. It’s not obvious to me from looking on the website what the difference between them is, although the one I got was on a high floor, so maybe that’s the main difference.

Didn’t check-in on the app. Never really saw the point, but I might start now.
Old May 29, 2021, 3:18 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by econ
I’m a lowly Gold, so only 2 pm checkouts for me, well at least some of the time.

Booked the base level room, upgraded to Manhattan King. It’s not obvious to me from looking on the website what the difference between them is, although the one I got was on a high floor, so maybe that’s the main difference.

Didn’t check-in on the app. Never really saw the point, but I might start now.
Fair enough. I recently learned that late check-out is only guaranteed for Platinum and higher. Gold late-check out is subject to availability (Hilton style).

I don’t think mobile check-in is best from an upgrade perspective but I noticed there’s an option to immediately request late check-out in the app. Since I started doing this, I have never been denied a late check-out.

Kind of a tangent but, despite all the hate Marriott IT gets, the iOS app has been a take changer for me. In addition to guaranteed late-check out now being very reliable (presumably because Marriott corporate can see the requests), I have derived tremendous value from mobile key and the chat feature.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Any recourse after the fact for a hotel that says late checkout is subject to availability because they are a "convention sector hotel" (and are not on the list of convention hotels)
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Any recourse after the fact for a hotel that says late checkout is subject to availability because they are a "convention sector hotel" (and are not on the list of convention hotels)
They do claim resort status so that should be enough to kill late checkouts.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Tanic
They do claim resort status so that should be enough to kill late checkouts.
Who claims resort status?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
For the 4 PM checkout, if multiple rooms are booked, does the benefit only apply to the room that the Elite Member is personally staying in or does it apply to all rooms?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Is 4 pm guaranteed at Executive Apartments? I inquired with three of them in Bangkok. Sukhumvit said yes. Sathorn & Mayfair said subject to availability.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Is 4 pm guaranteed at Executive Apartments? I inquired with three of them in Bangkok. Sukhumvit said yes. Sathorn & Mayfair said subject to availability.
Per the TOS: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

xxxii. Marriott Executive Apartments® - Base Points and Miles earning partner only (no Points redemption or on-property Elite benefits including Elite bonus Points)
Per the TOS, late checkout at the Executive Apartments is not an entitlement at all. In fact, based on thee terms, late checkout is not even "subject to availability". The hotel does not have to offer it at all because they don't have to provide any elite benefits at all.

But would it be so complicated for Marriott to also add that Executive Apartments in the Late Checkout section to make it more clear?
CO-PLAT and happychic like this.

Last edited by Xero; Dec 24, 2021 at 9:30 pm
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Xero
Per the TOS (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi):

Per the TOS, late checkout at the Executive Apartments is not an entitlement at all. In fact, based on thee terms, late checkout is not even "subject to availability". The hotel does not have to offer it at all because they don't have to provide any elite benefits at all.

But would it be so complicated for Marriott to also add that Executive Apartments in the Late Checkout section to make it more clear?
Thanks. The link you provide doesn't work for me.

I did find this:
xxxii. Marriott Executive Apartments® - Base Points and Miles earning partner only (no Points redemption or on-property Elite benefits including Elite bonus Points)
. I assume late checkout is part of "on-property elite benefits".

After further questioning, Mayfair got back to me and said they do not guarantee late checkout, but to ask on the morning of departure. Sukhumvit came back and asked my proposed checkout date and then confirmed.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Dec 24, 2021 at 8:42 pm
Old Dec 25, 2021, 7:39 pm

Marriott should make its webpage more clear: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...ts/titanium.mi

It really should say "Guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout, subject to availability at resort hotels, convention hotels and Marriott Executive Apartments."

There is just a lot of gotchas that are hidden in the terms that should be mentioned on the information pages.

SPN Lifer and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Fortunately this is one thing where I've had very good experiences with Marriott - had little to no trouble getting confirmed 3 or 4pm late checkouts at numerous locations including resort properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.